Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Reopening Sept 13, 2022. If you login, reservations are available starting on that date. See below for the login/check access link.

menu for CLASSIFIED
{now requires login access} -- see here for Aug 2017 version

Check if you were invited:
https://classified.united.com/dining/Login
or classified.united.com/dining

Print Wikipost

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Can you post the link to the restaurant site?

You must enter your credentials, so YMMV.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I see a bunch of airport restaurants that do the iPad ordering. They seem decent and can be expensive: between fine dining and fast food.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by dkc715

You must enter your credentials, so YMMV.
Logged in and it looks amazing. Very private. Pricey. Worthwhile before an overnight to Europe.

Last edited by adambrau; Aug 21, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:25 pm

With $30+ appetizers and cuts of steak that are over $100, they expect me to order from an iPad? smh
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I completely disagree. When I'm at a restaurant looking at a menu waiting for a waiter, I just think, why can't I click the menu and my food will show up.
At a good restaurant, and by good, I mean the level of exclusivity that Classified purports to aspire to, you never, ever wait for a waiter. And you never, ever think that they are hovering, either. They are watching unobtrusively, and when you appear by your behavior to be done with the menu, for example, they appear as if by magic. When you need a refill on something, magic. When you are done with your meal (not half-done, not "still working," to use the heinous Americanism that makes it sound like an unpleasant effort to slog through one's meal, and also not just putting your fork down), they come and clear your plate. Good service is an art. A top-level waiter will also never, ever say something like, "Hi, I'm Robert, and I'll be taking care of you tonight."

Now, that said, I'd be quite pleasantly surprised to find good service, in the classical sense of the term, at an airport. And I'd be surprised to the point of astonishment to find it at EWR.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium

Its an "OTG Experience": http://www.otgexp.com/culinary/
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
With $30+ appetizers and cuts of steak that are over $100, they expect me to order from an iPad? smh
LOL -- is this restaurant being operated by UA?

I would have thought its top customers would be in the new Polaris lounge when it opens and wouldn't need an alternative -
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
That seems to be similar to the approach to ordering and paying that Applebee's has chosen. Seems like they aren't doing too well. Hope the EWR restaurant has better food.

(haven't flown through EWR in years; how does "paying at order" work for tipping? I hate having to guess how good the service will be when paying upfront for a meal)
I just read a thing with Applebee's was that it was moving away from the core menu of what it's customers wanted and wasn't going to get cool hipsters in with lime chipotle shrimp and anything that sounded "fancy" or "trendy". In fact I don't even think the article mentioned that tech.

I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna tip 16-17% short of getting punched in the face by the waiter.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What happens when you pay in advance, the food doesn't arrive for a long time, and your flight is departing?
You can ask them to cancel it and refund you I would imagine. One time the card reader wasn't working at the French braisserie style place in EWR and the waitress just took my CC and did a normal restaurant bill print and pay.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742

Where is this from?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Sniff.....sniff

Thank you for your interest
but access is limited to select
MileagePlus® members

Want to get on the list?
By requesting consideration for an invitation to CLASSIFIED, you agree to receive marketing and promotional emails from United Airlines and its partners.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Thank you for your interest
but access is limited to select
MileagePlus® members

Want to get on the list?
By requesting consideration for an invitation to CLASSIFIED, you agree to receive marketing and promotional emails from United Airlines and its partners.
That sounds like the antithesis of exclusivity to me.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:33 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
This is very much a "different strokes for different folks" type of subject. As a 34 year old 1K (not in the tech field), I would much rather order from an iPad than have a waiter/waitress at the airport. We aren't talking about an anniversary dinner at a upscale/"fancy" restaurant.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Where is this from?
The link provided above, logged in with my MP credentials.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
We'll all be laughing about this one in a few months. How many people go to an airport for an exclusive fine dining experience and how many restaurants thrive by not allowing almost everyone in?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by adambrau
Logged in and it looks amazing. Very private. Pricey. Worthwhile before an overnight to Europe.
Probably would be a lot of naysayers in this thread. Thought it's the temporary solution of Polaris fine dining, yet you have to pay for that? Oh my.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.