FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New "Invitation-only" restaurant "Classified" at EWR. Reopened 13 September 2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1862375-new-invitation-only-restaurant-classified-ewr-reopened-13-september-2022-a.html)

Repooc17 Oct 26, 2022 7:02 pm

Too rich for my blood. Wendy's it is.

TravelManKen Oct 27, 2022 7:22 am

I ate breakfast at Classified last Sunday and thought it was excellent (salmon benedict). This was my third time dining there, the first two pre-COVID, and I found the service and welcome process to be significantly improved. If I have time while transiting Newark, and not departing international in Polaris, there's a good chance I would visit again.

Polytonic Oct 28, 2022 10:39 am

I can also confirm it codes as 4x Dining with Amex, for those curious.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5f1af0bcf0.png

phltraveler Oct 28, 2022 12:40 pm

I originally wrote a much longer post and lost the draft so I'll try to condense it a bit.

Reservations: Classified seemed to block (at least this past Tuesday) 11AM-3PM out for reservations day of. I requested an attempt for a 1:15 reservation via the website and it said someone would be in touch soon. Nobody was and I showed up at the front of Saison. My name and phone were checked for eligibility, so it seems that they're stricter on at least verifying you are eligible (received email/can get beyond the wall at classified.united.com with your MP#) than in the past. Most of my visit there was only one person on the opposite end I couldn't see.

Ambiance: Still very nice. Massively improved ambiance with the removal of tablets at each seat.

Ordering: I'd argue that QR code ordering might be a step down (depending in preference) from just looking at a menu and giving an order to a server, but it's a massive improvement over using the tablets at the seat. An account isn't mandatory to order (although it makes receipts easier - I used "sign in with Google" which were a couple taps and prepopulated the info). On the checkout page before actually placing the order there is a discounts button, under which you can apply the 20% MileagePlus Visa primary cardholder restaurant discount. The discount is clear before you actually pay. I used Safari on my iPhone to order and Apple Pay was accepted so I didn't have to tediously enter payment details, just tap, pick card, double tap power button for Face ID, done. I would guess that merely having the MP# in the discount field and having that MP# tied to a primary United MP Visa would be enough for the discount, even if you used another card to pay, but I'd have to test that on a subsequent visit.

Food prices: It's more expensive than standard airport fare for food but at the same time it is a nicer experience. I didn't eat this visit but I'd argue the dry aged burger is worthwhile at the pricepoint based on two prior experiences. Alcoholic beverage prices seem consistent with the terminal (except of course the rare spirits list, but that's to be expected).

Service: Start with the negative.. speed. I only drank a 25oz beer which... was substantially delayed. 7 minutes after order I received word that it kicked, would I like a different beer. 12 minutes following I got the beer I originally ordered, my server had waited for the keg to be changed so I would "get what I ordered". I was pleased by the attention to detail but it left me in a little bit of a rush (I upsized to a 25oz beer, which wasn't ideal with an IPA and 20min before I needed to leave for my bus for terminal A).

On the other hand - from the host at the front of Saison who brought me back and seated me to the two servers working in Classified, they were attentive. I was asked would I be eating today, just a beer. Asked if I wanted water, sure. They kept an eye out as they came in and out of classified to see if I needed a refill on either beverage. Servers were very polite and professional. Thumbs up.

So to recap on service - the service is much better than my 2019 visit, but I would not treat Classified as you might a typical airport restaurant in terms of timing. If you plan to dine/drink, I'd leave yourself a bit of an earlier arrival or longer layover. The service speed is probably halfway between airport quick turnaround and a typical sit down restaurant being spaced out to allow time for conversation, etc... I don't see this as a bad thing, just an observation.

Freebies: I was offered an item compliments of the chef (a strawberry agua fresca with mint) after water was poured and I declined to order food and when I left, I was offered chocolate in a Classified branded box. It looked like it had some form of gold colored dusting on the semi-circle chocolate, along with a square one that had ORD branding.

Overall: I definitely plan to dine (or drink) at Classified again, and thumbs up to the relaunch for improving the appearance and service level of the restaurant.

Images follow (spoiler tag to avoid the images taking up an inordinate amount of space in this thread):
Spoiler

AeRoSpaceman Oct 31, 2022 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 34715636)
I originally wrote a much longer post and lost the draft so I'll try to condense it a bit.

Reservations: Classified seemed to block (at least this past Tuesday) 11AM-3PM out for reservations day of. I requested an attempt for a 1:15 reservation via the website and it said someone would be in touch soon. Nobody was and I showed up at the front of Saison. My name and phone were checked for eligibility, so it seems that they're stricter on at least verifying you are eligible (received email/can get beyond the wall at classified.united.com with your MP#) than in the past. Most of my visit there was only one person on the opposite end I couldn't see.

Ambiance: Still very nice. Massively improved ambiance with the removal of tablets at each seat.

Ordering: I'd argue that QR code ordering might be a step down (depending in preference) from just looking at a menu and giving an order to a server, but it's a massive improvement over using the tablets at the seat. An account isn't mandatory to order (although it makes receipts easier - I used "sign in with Google" which were a couple taps and prepopulated the info). On the checkout page before actually placing the order there is a discounts button, under which you can apply the 20% MileagePlus Visa primary cardholder restaurant discount. The discount is clear before you actually pay. I used Safari on my iPhone to order and Apple Pay was accepted so I didn't have to tediously enter payment details, just tap, pick card, double tap power button for Face ID, done. I would guess that merely having the MP# in the discount field and having that MP# tied to a primary United MP Visa would be enough for the discount, even if you used another card to pay, but I'd have to test that on a subsequent visit.

Food prices: It's more expensive than standard airport fare for food but at the same time it is a nicer experience. I didn't eat this visit but I'd argue the dry aged burger is worthwhile at the pricepoint based on two prior experiences. Alcoholic beverage prices seem consistent with the terminal (except of course the rare spirits list, but that's to be expected).

Service: Start with the negative.. speed. I only drank a 25oz beer which... was substantially delayed. 7 minutes after order I received word that it kicked, would I like a different beer. 12 minutes following I got the beer I originally ordered, my server had waited for the keg to be changed so I would "get what I ordered". I was pleased by the attention to detail but it left me in a little bit of a rush (I upsized to a 25oz beer, which wasn't ideal with an IPA and 20min before I needed to leave for my bus for terminal A).

On the other hand - from the host at the front of Saison who brought me back and seated me to the two servers working in Classified, they were attentive. I was asked would I be eating today, just a beer. Asked if I wanted water, sure. They kept an eye out as they came in and out of classified to see if I needed a refill on either beverage. Servers were very polite and professional. Thumbs up.

So to recap on service - the service is much better than my 2019 visit, but I would not treat Classified as you might a typical airport restaurant in terms of timing. If you plan to dine/drink, I'd leave yourself a bit of an earlier arrival or longer layover. The service speed is probably halfway between airport quick turnaround and a typical sit down restaurant being spaced out to allow time for conversation, etc... I don't see this as a bad thing, just an observation.

Freebies: I was offered an item compliments of the chef (a strawberry agua fresca with mint) after water was poured and I declined to order food and when I left, I was offered chocolate in a Classified branded box. It looked like it had some form of gold colored dusting on the semi-circle chocolate, along with a square one that had ORD branding.

Overall: I definitely plan to dine (or drink) at Classified again, and thumbs up to the relaunch for improving the appearance and service level of the restaurant.

Images follow (spoiler tag to avoid the images taking up an inordinate amount of space in this thread):
Spoiler

So you paid $16.00 for a beer? Is that consistent with the rest of the terminal as you stated? Asking out of curiosity.

fumje Oct 31, 2022 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman (Post 34722411)
So you paid $16.00 for a beer? Is that consistent with the rest of the terminal as you stated? Asking out of curiosity.

Last I noticed $14 in the terminal was normal, so given inflation and/or slight markup, $16 makes sense.

phltraveler Oct 31, 2022 7:17 pm

It's consistent for the rest of the terminal to basically double the beer. $12-$13 for a 12oz beer, +$3 to double it so it seems like a good value.

Catbert10 Dec 19, 2022 10:36 am

Ate at Classified last night for the first time. The ambiance was very nice and the attentiveness was good. Food was hit and miss. The crab cake appetizer was very, very good, but my filet arrived cold and the Bearnaise sauce was the consistency of mayo. The Old Fashioned was also good. If the filet had arrived warm with a proper Bearnaise sauce, it would have been worth the $$, IMO

CMK10 Jan 11, 2023 5:44 am

I went by last night (Tuesday) at 7 PM. No invitation, I went and made a reservation at 4 PM and had my choice of times. When I arrived I had to wait a few minutes lingering by the bar waiting on someone to find a host.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Fl...MG_6027-XL.jpg

When I arrived there were two other diners. They left pretty quickly and I had the place to myself. I'm glad they got rid of the iPads and switched to a QR ordering system as it means less cluttered tables

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Fl...MG_6028-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Fl...MG_6029-XL.jpg

Little Neck Clams

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Fl...MG_6030-XL.jpg

Roast Chicken.

With my 20% MileagePlus card discount and tip the meal came to about $70. Pricy but fun.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Fl...MG_6037-XL.jpg

I also got double chocolates! I'm glad the place is back open, it sure beat eating the slop on my inbound flight.

mktozd Jan 14, 2023 9:30 am

Classified is one of my very favorite United Airlines experiences. The service, setting and food are equivalent to an upscale steakhouse or bistro in New York and it’s a very welcome sanctuary from EWR. I took a video of the secret entrance.

The food is amazing and some very unique and interesting cocktail and drink options. I could not more HIGHLY recommend.

angetenar Jan 14, 2023 10:37 am

Originally Posted by mktozd (Post 34924276)
I took a video of the secret entrance.

Taking a video of it makes it not so secret

nexus7556 Jan 14, 2023 10:51 am

I’ve been once. Quite poor experience. Ordering is through the infuriating OTG website. “Tableside” cocktails are them just pouring a premade cocktail into a glass at the table. Food took 75 minutes to arrive. The waiter disappeared after dropping the food and was never to be found again.

CMK10 Jan 18, 2023 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by nexus7556 (Post 34924477)
I’ve been once. Quite poor experience. Ordering is through the infuriating OTG website. “Tableside” cocktails are them just pouring a premade cocktail into a glass at the table. Food took 75 minutes to arrive. The waiter disappeared after dropping the food and was never to be found again.

You now order via a QR code and it's much easier than it was pre-COVID on the iPads.

N1120A Jan 18, 2023 11:32 pm

Glad to hear the obnoxious OTG iPads are gone.

I've always like Classified, other than the iPads. The space is airy and comfortable, and nicer than a crowded lounge. The food I've ordered has been good, if unimaginative - like a good hotel restaurant. Prices are airport prices.

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 34722437)
Last I noticed $14 in the terminal was normal, so given inflation and/or slight markup, $16 makes sense.

I thought PANYNJ was doing something about OTG's absurd markups?

Xyzzy Jan 18, 2023 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 34938105)
I thought PANYNJ was doing something about OTG's absurd markups?

The :mad:nly thing PANYNJ wants to do about absurd markups is to make sure that they get their cut.