FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New "Invitation-only" restaurant "Classified" at EWR. Reopened 13 September 2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1862375-new-invitation-only-restaurant-classified-ewr-reopened-13-september-2022-a.html)

PTahCha Oct 10, 2022 10:34 am

Originally Posted by cricketer (Post 34668583)
Went to Classified after about 3 years. They've definitely upped their game a bit, and the prices to go with it, not that it was ever cheap. I checked out the new EWR UC, and it didn't take me long to decide to do Classified instead. Had the sliders, which were solid, and a pretty decent creme brulee. The rare spirits cart, as others have noted, is pretty impressive, but $1,000 for a glass, even of Balvenie 1973, is about $990 above what I'm willing to pay. Pascal, who was my server, and is the only person remaining from the previous iteration of Classified (allegedly) was amazing. I wouldn't do this every time, given the pricing, but if I want a solid meal, or just an escape from the crowds, looks like it continues to be a great option.

It did still say I would get 20% off with my UA credit card, but no sign of that 20% yet. It used to show up directly on the tablet when they had those.

You need to scan your BP or enter your MP number in the ordering kiosk to get the 20% off.

cricketer Oct 10, 2022 11:47 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 34669633)
You need to scan your BP or enter your MP number in the ordering kiosk to get the 20% off.

Used to be like that - but there's no tablet/kiosk anymore, it's just on your phone and no option to do either of those (that I noticed) even though the 20% is still advertised at checkout.

chavala Oct 10, 2022 12:17 pm

Sorry if this has been asked, but I'm confused.
I have a flight next week to DUB. (1K paid Polaris tkt)
Am I supposed to wait for an invitiation" ? I clicked the link in the wiki, and it allows me to make a reservation...
so how is this "invitation only"? Am I missing something here?

kirkwoodj Oct 10, 2022 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by chavala (Post 34669882)
Am I supposed to wait for an invitiation" ? I clicked the link in the wiki, and it allows me to make a reservation...

Maybe some non/lower-status people can't make reservations on a whim, so is invitation-only for them.

Weatherboy Oct 10, 2022 2:02 pm

So nice to finally see the tablets gone there.

lovefly88 Oct 10, 2022 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 34669919)
Maybe some non/lower-status people can't make reservations on a whim, so is invitation-only for them.

no access for me

mechteach Oct 10, 2022 5:40 pm

Finally checked this out after a very long and stressful couple of days, including a very enervating trip to (and through) the EWR airport on the way to my flight back home. The prices are high, but the peace and quiet of Classified really was a balm after all that hassle. I don't think I would visit it every time, but there are definitely moments where this place is just right.

godbreath Oct 13, 2022 12:04 pm

How long would a meal take here? Trying to see if I have enough time before my flight tomorrow

sapguy Oct 13, 2022 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by chavala (Post 34669882)

If you are flying on Polaris, then why do you even bother with Classified? :confused:

The Polaris Lounge, which only people with a Polaris BP like you can access, offers a full sit-down meal which is excellent and that’s what I avail myself at EWR on my Polaris flights :tu:

chavala Oct 13, 2022 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy (Post 34678394)
If you are flying on Polaris, then why do you even bother with Classified? :confused:

The Polaris Lounge, which only people with a Polaris BP like you can access, offers a full sit-down meal which is excellent and that’s what I avail myself at EWR on my Polaris flights :tu:

LOL. Yeah, been there - done that.
"Excellent" is matter of opinion.

United747 Oct 13, 2022 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy (Post 34678394)

Obviously it’s a YMMV situation, but I wouldn’t call Polaris Lounge dining “excellent”. Nor do I care for the crowding or long waits (both for a table and for food) around the EU departure banks

Is it better than the United Club, sure. But Classified has had consistently good food and it’s generally been empty when I’ve been

angetenar Oct 18, 2022 12:20 pm

Just had lunch here. Positives:
- Food was very good
- Very quiet and calm
- Attentive service
Negatives:
- Plastic knives...
- QR code ordering
- Related to the previous item, tipping when ordering and not at the end
In the future I'd probably return; I think that it would be an especially enjoyable experience for infrequent travelers.

chavala Oct 19, 2022 5:48 pm

Plastic forks? What?

angetenar Oct 19, 2022 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by chavala (Post 34694528)
Plastic forks? What?

Oh my bad. The fork was made of metal, but the knife was the utensil that was plastic.

kdad Oct 19, 2022 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by angetenar (Post 34690889)
- QR code ordering
- Related to the previous item, tipping when ordering and not at the end

The QR code ordering did take away from the enjoyment. I discussed some menu items with the waiter and then had to go in and place the order electronically. Tipping before service is also awkward.