FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR. Reopened 13 September 2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1862375-new-invitation-only-restaurant-classified-ewr-reopened-13-september-2022-a.html)

as219 Sep 28, 2022 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 34638652)
Sadly, I don't believe they do. It wasn't advertised, didn't show up on my receipt, and when I just checked my statement, there was just the total charge and the usual 2 miles / dollar for restaurant purchases. No separate statement credit or discount.

IIRC, didn't other OTG restaurants in EWR also used to offer a discount? I can recall scanning my BP at the tablets and paying with my UA card and getting something (15%?) off, but didn't see that option when grabbing a beer on Sunday during my return trip.

Sometimes it takes some time to show up, though, I think. While there's still hope, it wouldn't be surprising if that nice little perk is gone. Took some of the sting out of those prices....

diburning Sep 28, 2022 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 34626253)
Nothing about that experience says, "first class", and we don't need more phone noises disturbing us while dining.

Neither was the iPad ordering system that they had before.

zig666 Sep 28, 2022 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by as219 (Post 34638854)
Sometimes it takes some time to show up, though, I think. While there's still hope, it wouldn't be surprising if that nice little perk is gone. Took some of the sting out of those prices....

if you create an account in the order system and put your MP in, you do get a discount. Want to say it was 20%.
Only managed to get the required confirmation code after order the main course so only got that for some refills.

kdad Sep 28, 2022 6:35 pm

Had a very good lunch there today. Compliment of the chef was a cucumber cream cheese smoked salmon with everything bagel spice. Steak tartar was very good. I savored every bite. I would go again.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...65c7de3b7a.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4dd917acb1.jpg

desafino Sep 28, 2022 7:42 pm

The totally unadorned arugula with the crab cake is a little odd.

DELee Sep 28, 2022 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by desafino (Post 34639586)

Classified's version of "fancy".

David

bmwe92fan Sep 28, 2022 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 34638070)

Overall, I enjoyed the meal, and I'd go back next time and try some other items on the menu.

Glad to see a post from you -- it's been a long time! I will try out Classified next week on our trip to France for holiday -- my wife just won't suffer through another Polaris lounge "war for food" at EWR again lol....

spanky28 Oct 9, 2022 8:47 am

Classified @ EWR Question

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this inquiry.

Made a reservation at Classified mainly because it was available to me. I might not keep it. Would payment for my meal there code as a United lounge type of fee or dining? I have the Chase Ritz Carlton CC with a small annual travel credit balance I wanted to zero out.

Flying out of EWR tomorrow with no UA status. I do have OTP's for the United Club, but in case it's too crowded in the late afternoon, I thought I would spend some time at Classified as a plan B.

TIA

PTahCha Oct 9, 2022 9:05 am

Originally Posted by spanky28 (Post 34666866)

Made a reservation at Classified mainly because it was available to me. I might not keep it. Would payment for my meal there code as a United lounge type of fee or dining? I have the Chase Ritz Carlton CC with a small annual travel credit balance I wanted to zero out.

Flying out of EWR tomorrow with no UA status. I do have OTP's for the United Club, but in case it's too crowded in the late afternoon, I thought I would spend some time at Classified as a plan B.

TIA

No, since it's run by OTG, so it's going to show up as a standard restaurant charge.

gokeeper Oct 9, 2022 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by spanky28 (Post 34666866)

TIA

No, but you do get cashback when paying with UA credit cards.

cricketer Oct 10, 2022 12:59 am

Went to Classified after about 3 years. They've definitely upped their game a bit, and the prices to go with it, not that it was ever cheap. I checked out the new EWR UC, and it didn't take me long to decide to do Classified instead. Had the sliders, which were solid, and a pretty decent creme brulee. The rare spirits cart, as others have noted, is pretty impressive, but $1,000 for a glass, even of Balvenie 1973, is about $990 above what I'm willing to pay. Pascal, who was my server, and is the only person remaining from the previous iteration of Classified (allegedly) was amazing. I wouldn't do this every time, given the pricing, but if I want a solid meal, or just an escape from the crowds, looks like it continues to be a great option.

It did still say I would get 20% off with my UA credit card, but no sign of that 20% yet. It used to show up directly on the tablet when they had those.

fumje Oct 10, 2022 3:55 am

Originally Posted by desafino (Post 34639586)

I think that's beef tartare (mentioned at top of post).

kdad Oct 10, 2022 6:20 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 34668763)
I think that's beef tartare (mentioned at top of post).

I had the steak tartar and the arugula was unadorned but that made sense and went well with the dish, can be seen in post 598.
The crabcake with similar naked arugula is in post 591.

fumje Oct 10, 2022 7:33 am

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 34668942)
I had the steak tartar and the arugula was unadorned but that made sense and went well with the dish, can be seen in post 598.
The crabcake with similar naked arugula is in post 591.

Ah, perhaps desafino was referring to that, although given the crabcake has a sauce, I think it makes sense there too.

kfreezen Oct 10, 2022 10:15 am

Got my invite yesterday. Haven't been here in a couple years, after reading these reviews, makes me tempted to try it after my upcoming flight.

I was surprised a lowly Gold would get "invited" to "Classified" tbh.