Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR.

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR.

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 1, 19, 6:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 29, 19, 11:58 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
This - "... just enjoy the new Polaris Club..." (Real food, real menu, cost included in your ticket)
Works for me....thanks
Kannai likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak
The beer mussels are on the appetizer menu, but this is approaching a main-course serving in my book, even if you don't sop up all that garlic mayo with the bread. Only complaint about the human service this time (only my second visit to Classified) was that I had to ask for a plate on which to put the empty shells. As for the software service: I don't get why you have to close out your tab before submitting your order.

ContinentalFan and narvik like this.
Old May 8, 19, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Is there a general consensus on this place yet? I see good and bad reviews. I have a group of 5 headed across the pond on May 29th. We have a 3 and half hour layover and I have a reservation, would like to know if not this place, is there somewhere else people recommend in C concourse? i like the idea of getting good wine and a good steak before a long red-eye flight.
Old May 9, 19, 7:32 am

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K
Originally Posted by DENflyer3 View Post
Is there a general consensus on this place yet? I see good and bad reviews. I have a group of 5 headed across the pond on May 29th. We have a 3 and half hour layover and I have a reservation, would like to know if not this place, is there somewhere else people recommend in C concourse? i like the idea of getting good wine and a good steak before a long red-eye flight.
I tried it a few weeks ago on a NRT-EWR-BOS routing since I had a couple of hour long layover. It was 'just ok' in my opinion. A bit better selection than the normal EWR airport food, but not nearly to the level of hype that I've seen it get. Honestly, I wished I had skipped it and eaten in the Polaris lounge. If I was on a domestic flight and didn't have Polaris access, I may go again vs the UA Club, but that's the only time I'd do it.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old May 9, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Flying Blue Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by DCA writer View Post
As for the software service: I don't get why you have to close out your tab before submitting your order.
FYI - You actually don't need to close the Tab, but the dialogue on the ipad is confusing. I think there was a general issue with ALL the OTG locations in terminal C a couple of years ago where you had to close the tab after every purchase, but that's been long since corrected.

I stop in Classified a few times a month (largely a domestic traveler so no polaris access and it's a nice quiet space to wind down with an excellent wine selection for an airport location). THe staff has been unfailiingly great IME.

1 - Enter/Scan your Mileage Plus Credit Card credentials (if applicable) for the 20% discount
2- Choose your menu items and add to tab
3: Choose 'Pay with Card'
4 - Swipe Card (you'll hear the beep-beep/beep-beep from the main server station alerting you that the order was placed)
5 - You can then leave tab open - and add to it - until you're done

Back in January there was an issue where only your initial items would carry the 20% cardmember discount and any add-ons would come in at full price. That was corrrected earlier this spring.
Old May 9, 19, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by bostonpilot View Post
I tried it a few weeks ago on a NRT-EWR-BOS routing since I had a couple of hour long layover. It was 'just ok' in my opinion. A bit better selection than the normal EWR airport food, but not nearly to the level of hype that I've seen it get. Honestly, I wished I had skipped it and eaten in the Polaris lounge. If I was on a domestic flight and didn't have Polaris access, I may go again vs the UA Club, but that's the only time I'd do it.
We could easily do Polaris at EWR but I was not sure it was opened yet? Is Polaris better than this? The whole party is in Business so wither works for us, I just want better food and nicer wine etc. The only Polaris I have been in is IAH and I liked that plenty, especially if there are showers there.
Old May 9, 19, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
We could easily do Polaris at EWR but I was not sure it was opened yet? Is Polaris better than this? The whole party is in Business so wither works for us, I just want better food and nicer wine etc. The only Polaris I have been in is IAH and I liked that plenty, especially if there are showers there.
I like Classified, especially compared to the EWR UCs, but if you can go to Polaris (yes it's open) the need for Classified is much diminished.

Honestly one of the biggest Classified perks is the private restroom. Polaris definitely one-ups that.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old May 9, 19, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Polaris is open at EWR, I think itís one of the nicest in the system, showers are available along with little day rooms food in the restaurant it is good, and the bar is stocked nicely. Even the buffet food is pretty good, I had the best chicken parmigiana there ( it is NJ/NYC) And in the back of the buffet thereís an area dedicated to sweets with lots of candies etc. OK Iíll confess I stayed there about 4 1/2 hours one day and was sad to leave :-) nothing at classified can compare, forget it and go to Polaris
narvik and dchambric like this.
Old May 9, 19, 10:59 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
How does Classified's menu and food quality compare to Saison? I've dined at Classified, but not Saison, so if I don't receive an invitation, I'd probably consider dining at Saison
Old May 10, 19, 1:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
How does Classified's menu and food quality compare to Saison? I've dined at Classified, but not Saison, so if I don't receive an invitation, I'd probably consider dining at Saison
Try booking without an invitation, this has worked for many. Some have report just walking in (if they ae not booked).
Old May 10, 19, 11:40 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, UC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Try booking without an invitation, this has worked for many. Some have report just walking in (if they ae not booked).
I had an invitation, but had to change flight plans so did not make it. The next flight through EWR, I waited for an invitation, didn't receive one, so went on line and tried booking, which worked. I started out with some rosť, which I enjoyed, and the sliders with plans to order more if hungry. The sliders were soooo salty that I didn't finish them and didn't want to chance anything else from that kitchen! Given the choice, I'd head straight to the Polaris Lounge and give Classified a hard pass.
Old Jun 9, 19, 1:05 pm

I fly through EWR a lot but just received my first invitation to CLASSIFIED. I think I will try it. Partly out of curiosity but also because I have not found any other restaurant at EWR that I like at all. That said, I have not tried Saison. I would be dining there around 8pm on Tuesday (June 11th). Anyone here care to join me?
Old Jun 9, 19, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat, WN A
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I fly through EWR a lot but just received my first invitation to CLASSIFIED. I think I will try it. Partly out of curiosity but also because I have not found any other restaurant at EWR that I like at all. That said, I have not tried Saison. I would be dining there around 8pm on Tuesday (June 11th). Anyone here care to join me?
I booked recently w/out an invitation. Late lunch on a Sunday. It was nearly empty.

Food was better than standard airport fare, but miles away from fine dining. Had the West Coast Oysters. The mignonette was odd. Tasted like Worcestershire sauce. Oysters were poorly shucked, one in multiple pieces. Also had the Date & Manchego Chicken. It was okay. The celery root puree and green cabbage were nice. The date (or maybe Balsamic) reduction was outrageously (think dessert level) sweet. High point was that the Diet Coke was from glass bottles, and an order was a full glass plus the remains of the second bottle.

Also never received my emailed receipt, which was a problem for a work meal.

It's probably better than the other options at EWR, but I'd take the Rick Bayless take-away or the Berghoff at ORD over Classified any day.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by lexdevil; Jun 9, 19 at 4:56 pm
Old Jun 12, 19, 5:20 am

I arrived at CLASSIFIED for my dinner last night to find myself the only customer in the place. I chose a table by the windows and ordered "Hop scallops seared, cauliflower puree, hearts of palm" and a glass of wine. The food was delivered quickly, was well presented and was satisfying but nothing more. Compared to the last scallop dish I had had in a restaurant, which had cost less and left me wanting to return for more, this one was nothing.

I found the toilets okay except that the hand-lotion dispensers were both empty.

I would prefer a more traditional way of ordering food but am willing to put up with a tablet fixed to the table except for one thing: the damned device continually flashed advertisements at me while I was there. I don't like having televisions in restaurants and there was a time when I refused to patronize any that did, but I have come around to tolerating them now. But having a tablet in the middle of my field of view pushing commercials for Dunkin Donuts in my face is something I just hate, hate, hate.

My conclusions: I do not regret trying CLASSIFIED but I will almost certainly never go there again. Nothing was good enough to tempt me to return and the non-stop adverts kill it for me.
Old Jun 12, 19, 5:40 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
....I would prefer a more traditional way of ordering food but am willing to put up with a tablet fixed to the table except for one thing: the damned device continually flashed advertisements at me while I was there. I don't like having televisions in restaurants and there was a time when I refused to patronize any that did, but I have come around to tolerating them now. But having a tablet in the middle of my field of view pushing commercials for Dunkin Donuts in my face is something I just hate, hate, hate...
If you find yourself in this situation again (either at this restaurant or in the gate seating area) you can lift up the tablet and set it face down on the table. Makes a nice coaster for your drink.
jpezaris, wxguy, seanp7 and 8 others like this.

Search this Thread