Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR.

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR.

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 1, 19, 6:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 28, 18, 5:04 am
  #436  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Mansfield, QLD (BNE)
Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, Hilton D, Mariott/SPG Plat Elite, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Plat, Amex Plat
Posts: 1,572
Classified now lets me in, after a year of denials... makes one think about the Groucho Marx joke where he wouldn’t want to go to any club that would stoop so low as to accept him as a member.
atword likes this.
Joshua is offline  
Old Jan 18, 19, 8:29 am
  #437  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Posts: 928
So with a Monday afternoon flight and being worried about potential security screening time impacts with the government shutdowns (due to TSA Sick-outs), I decided I'd head to the airport early and eat at classified time permitting (a reservation is required, but I've checked before and figured that I would be able to make a reservation once I was in the sterile area). Sure enough, the Precheck line was well staffed and reservations were widely open.

I went to Saison (classified is in the back) - no usual hosts at the front to seat people or to take to the back for classified. So I just went into Saison and found someone on the right hand side (kitchen) who came out and seated me in the back.

Service was...noticeably different from my last visit. I wouldn't say necessarily good or bad.

Upkeep: Proper and clean (hygienically and appearance). I like the aesthetic in classified, the view out to the terminal is there. It's a lot less crowded than other restaurants at the terminal or the United Clubs. Even at lunchtime it wasn't that busy - it was me and one other person at one point (different table), by the time I left there were about 6 people total (including me) spread throughout various tables.

Being seated: Seated quickly, the server came back quickly with a hot towel (reminded me of sitting up-cabin!) in a small dish and a shot glass of some butternut squash soup compliments of the chef (everyone received it, but I still appreciated it). Due to food allergies and being served it before I could give the allergy spiel, I ultimately did not eat it. No complimentary sparkling this time - but last time I put on the reservation that I was celebrating a recent birthday of a family member (the other guest) and this time I put no special occasion, so I didn't expect that.

Menu: Doesn't seem to have changed much, but my options are limited due to food allergies, so I ordered the same item as I had the last time (dry-aged burger). Due to an egg allergy the brioche bun and burger sauce were omitted - I requested a lettuce wrap, but just received the burger on the plate with a single piece of lettuce on the side, and due to a seafood allergy (common fryers) the french fries were substituted with a side salad. Both were good - the burger was properly cooked to medium rare and very flavorful, the salad was a basic side salad but with a good vinaigrette.

Alcohol: Still a good set of beers, wines, and spirits. Saison has a larger number of drafts compared to many other restaurants in the terminal. The rare spirits selection seems to have taken a dive, and the pricing is just downright confusing - some of the spirits ($42/oz for The Boss Hog IV: The Black Prince), but others contained prices with no unit of measure (Old Rip Van Winkle 12 Year Special Reserve displayed no price until the + (Add) button was picked, at which point it brought you to your basket or whatever you want to call it and it was $500 with no unit listed (bottle? 4oz? who knows? I assume bottle given that price). The rare drink cart that I saw in my previous visit was gone.

Tablets: OTG almost got away unscathed from me on this for once, but things fell flat. Classified is one of the restaurants at EWR Terminal C eligible for the 20% MileagePlus visa, if you scan your boarding pass and are the primary cardholder. I did so and ordering and such were fluid, and I barely had to babysit it. All was well until towards the end of the visit, I decided to have a second beer - the existing tab couldn't be updated, and it asked me to close it. When I did, the discount listed was far below 20% (approx $2.20 on $45). I flagged an employee over and they adjusted the receipt manually and printed it out. The second beer went on a separate tab, which despite proudly displaying the banner when I scanned the boarding pass that I would get 20% off, the Cardholder discount field when closing the tab read $0.00 - again requiring me to flag down an employee. I had to get over to another area of terminal C for my boarding, so I wasn't thrilled to be waiting for the receipt.

Other than that, the only minor upkeep problem is one of the credit card readers on a tablet on the other table would beep randomly (with no one sitting there) every 90 seconds or so. It wasn't loud or disruptive of a noise to be worth complaining about.

General attentiveness: Underwhelming compared to my last visit. My last visit I was with one other guest and for most of the visit we were the only ones there. The server was friendly and talked to us for a few minutes about different things (travel, etc.) and then left us to our own devices for a while. Even if he didn't come up while we dined every time to check in, I saw him popping in and out to look over - see if anyone was looking for a server, if any glasses or plates were empty, etc. I was checked in by a manager more than once to make sure I was happy, offered a newspaper after my meal, etc..

In contrast, service beyond the seating felt minimal. I didn't see the server serving in Saison at that time (Saison was not terribly crowded) but I get the impression that the server for Classified was probably serving Saison as I would not see her for minutes at a time. As Classified had more people in it during my visit, I felt that I saw less and less of my server. I get that the tablets are supposed to replace some of this, but when I was ready to order, it took several minutes after I had decided (and used the Call server button on the tablet) to get a re-visit. When I was trying to get the check to leave (due to the issue where the emailed receipt was not accurate and I wanted to make sure I got the discount), it took about 10 minutes. Not ideal in an airport terminal with many domestic travelers/flights.

Overall: I'd eat at Classified again alone, but the speed of service makes me hesitant to do it unless I have a lot of time. I'd consider eating there with a guest for the privacy and the ability to have a conversation somewhere with full bar, good food, quiet area, etc. but the service was a lot less impressive. The first time I went, the way the staff were attentive made my guest (someone who flies once or twice a year, if that) feel like I was a rock star or some other VIP, he still talks about that visit and wanting to go back the next time he flies out of Newark. This time I felt the service level was acceptable - not great.

The last time I went, I felt like I went to a totally different restaurant that happened to share a kitchen with Saison.

This time I felt like I went to a private room of Saison itself. A nice room that I'd eat in again, but not an experience that was noticeably better from a service perspective.
seanp7 and narvik like this.
phltraveler is offline  
Old Jan 18, 19, 4:17 pm
  #438  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 2,992
Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
So with a Monday afternoon flight and being worried about potential security screening time impacts with the government shutdowns (due to TSA Sick-outs), I decided I'd head to the airport early and eat at classified time permitting (a reservation is required, but I've checked before and figured that I would be able to make a reservation once I was in the sterile area). Sure enough, the Precheck line was well staffed and reservations were widely open.

I went to Saison (classified is in the back) - no usual hosts at the front to seat people or to take to the back for classified. So I just went into Saison and found someone on the right hand side (kitchen) who came out and seated me in the back.

Service was...noticeably different from my last visit. I wouldn't say necessarily good or bad.

Upkeep: Proper and clean (hygienically and appearance). I like the aesthetic in classified, the view out to the terminal is there. It's a lot less crowded than other restaurants at the terminal or the United Clubs. Even at lunchtime it wasn't that busy - it was me and one other person at one point (different table), by the time I left there were about 6 people total (including me) spread throughout various tables.

Being seated: Seated quickly, the server came back quickly with a hot towel (reminded me of sitting up-cabin!) in a small dish and a shot glass of some butternut squash soup compliments of the chef (everyone received it, but I still appreciated it). Due to food allergies and being served it before I could give the allergy spiel, I ultimately did not eat it. No complimentary sparkling this time - but last time I put on the reservation that I was celebrating a recent birthday of a family member (the other guest) and this time I put no special occasion, so I didn't expect that.

Menu: Doesn't seem to have changed much, but my options are limited due to food allergies, so I ordered the same item as I had the last time (dry-aged burger). Due to an egg allergy the brioche bun and burger sauce were omitted - I requested a lettuce wrap, but just received the burger on the plate with a single piece of lettuce on the side, and due to a seafood allergy (common fryers) the french fries were substituted with a side salad. Both were good - the burger was properly cooked to medium rare and very flavorful, the salad was a basic side salad but with a good vinaigrette.

Alcohol: Still a good set of beers, wines, and spirits. Saison has a larger number of drafts compared to many other restaurants in the terminal. The rare spirits selection seems to have taken a dive, and the pricing is just downright confusing - some of the spirits ($42/oz for The Boss Hog IV: The Black Prince), but others contained prices with no unit of measure (Old Rip Van Winkle 12 Year Special Reserve displayed no price until the + (Add) button was picked, at which point it brought you to your basket or whatever you want to call it and it was $500 with no unit listed (bottle? 4oz? who knows? I assume bottle given that price). The rare drink cart that I saw in my previous visit was gone.

Tablets: OTG almost got away unscathed from me on this for once, but things fell flat. Classified is one of the restaurants at EWR Terminal C eligible for the 20% MileagePlus visa, if you scan your boarding pass and are the primary cardholder. I did so and ordering and such were fluid, and I barely had to babysit it. All was well until towards the end of the visit, I decided to have a second beer - the existing tab couldn't be updated, and it asked me to close it. When I did, the discount listed was far below 20% (approx $2.20 on $45). I flagged an employee over and they adjusted the receipt manually and printed it out. The second beer went on a separate tab, which despite proudly displaying the banner when I scanned the boarding pass that I would get 20% off, the Cardholder discount field when closing the tab read $0.00 - again requiring me to flag down an employee. I had to get over to another area of terminal C for my boarding, so I wasn't thrilled to be waiting for the receipt.

Other than that, the only minor upkeep problem is one of the credit card readers on a tablet on the other table would beep randomly (with no one sitting there) every 90 seconds or so. It wasn't loud or disruptive of a noise to be worth complaining about.

General attentiveness: Underwhelming compared to my last visit. My last visit I was with one other guest and for most of the visit we were the only ones there. The server was friendly and talked to us for a few minutes about different things (travel, etc.) and then left us to our own devices for a while. Even if he didn't come up while we dined every time to check in, I saw him popping in and out to look over - see if anyone was looking for a server, if any glasses or plates were empty, etc. I was checked in by a manager more than once to make sure I was happy, offered a newspaper after my meal, etc..

In contrast, service beyond the seating felt minimal. I didn't see the server serving in Saison at that time (Saison was not terribly crowded) but I get the impression that the server for Classified was probably serving Saison as I would not see her for minutes at a time. As Classified had more people in it during my visit, I felt that I saw less and less of my server. I get that the tablets are supposed to replace some of this, but when I was ready to order, it took several minutes after I had decided (and used the Call server button on the tablet) to get a re-visit. When I was trying to get the check to leave (due to the issue where the emailed receipt was not accurate and I wanted to make sure I got the discount), it took about 10 minutes. Not ideal in an airport terminal with many domestic travelers/flights.

Overall: I'd eat at Classified again alone, but the speed of service makes me hesitant to do it unless I have a lot of time. I'd consider eating there with a guest for the privacy and the ability to have a conversation somewhere with full bar, good food, quiet area, etc. but the service was a lot less impressive. The first time I went, the way the staff were attentive made my guest (someone who flies once or twice a year, if that) feel like I was a rock star or some other VIP, he still talks about that visit and wanting to go back the next time he flies out of Newark. This time I felt the service level was acceptable - not great.

The last time I went, I felt like I went to a totally different restaurant that happened to share a kitchen with Saison.

This time I felt like I went to a private room of Saison itself. A nice room that I'd eat in again, but not an experience that was noticeably better from a service perspective.
Thanks for the detailed review!
physioprof is offline  
Old Jan 18, 19, 10:39 pm
  #439  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CLE
Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Posts: 3,527
I hate what they did at Newark. Miss the McDonald,s. What’s the deal with all the computers and tabejs even in the gates. I want a hunan to take my order.
Xyzzy likes this.
buckeyefanflyer is offline  
Old Jan 18, 19, 11:21 pm
  #440  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / SPG Platinum / Hertz PC
Posts: 270
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
I hate what they did at Newark. Miss the McDonald,s. What’s the deal with all the computers and tabejs even in the gates. I want a hunan to take my order.
largely agree with you. That being said, my experience at Classified was actually a very positive one (legit good food and service) and at the other places in the terminal I find they’ve finally worked out a lot of the kinks of the OTG tablet / human employee interaction. I do miss being able to belly up to a bar and just order a drink like anywhere else, but I do find the folks working are attentive.
HoyaSFOIAD is offline  
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:14 pm
  #441  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MSP
Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Posts: 739
I have a morning flight out of EWR next week so I did make a reservation. How do you guys rate them at breakfast time, say 8:30?

In2ishn is offline  
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:30 pm
  #442  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,949
Originally Posted by In2ishn View Post
I have a morning flight out of EWR next week so I did make a reservation. How do you guys rate them at breakfast time, say 8:30?

Classified is my go to breakfast place when I fly EWR-HNL in F, the breakfast offerings are good, and is a very good meal rather than the not so good breakfast sandwich on the flight......
In2ishn and MrGood like this.
HNLbasedFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:37 pm
  #443  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MSP
Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Posts: 739
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Classified is my go to breakfast place when I fly EWR-HNL in F, the breakfast offerings are good, and is a very good meal rather than the not so good breakfast sandwich on the flight......
Thanks!
In2ishn is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 3:30 pm
  #444  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CLE
Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,551
Got an invitation to Classified. Tried to make a reservation and got a reply that my number wasn't listed. Not a great or move.
manneca is offline  
Old Mar 7, 19, 2:11 pm
  #445  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: united
Posts: 556
I got my invite, the reservation went smoothly, and the food was delicious- comparable to a high end restaurant. It IS expensive (you can pay with RDM's, but at a bad rate), but it's the best food I have ever had in an airport.
narvik likes this.
dilanesp is offline  
Old Mar 7, 19, 4:39 pm
  #446  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
At EWR, I'd really rather avoid human contact. A robot delivering the food would be a big plus.
Better to avoid EWR.
bambenek is offline  
Old Mar 25, 19, 7:18 am
  #447  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: 1K
Posts: 167
Just had breakfast here. I think my wife's comment upon leaving just about sums it up. She not one that would typically use expletives in these situations.

"That was dreadful. United is not doing themselves any favors."

What made it dreadful:
- cold: literally
- cold: aesthetic
- cold: food
- cold: coffee
- slow: service
- bad: omlette
- bad: coffee
- bad: cappuccino

The hands down best thing of the meal was a properly toasted English muffin of all things.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 25, 19 at 3:35 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
zdog2x is offline  
Old Mar 29, 19, 11:17 am
  #448  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NJ
Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Posts: 737
CLASSIFIED - invitation only dining at EWR

I got an email today from UAthat I was invited to make a reservation at a restaurant, CLASSIFIED at EWR (im flying next week to HKG).


At CLASSIFIED, you'll be part of a select group of travelers who get to experience this invitation-only, 36-seat restaurant. Featuring upscale American cuisine with seasonal options, CLASSIFIED will tease your palate — and your sense of excitement — with a modern dining retreat that's the first of its kindReady to reserve?

Reservations are required to dine at CLASSIFIED. You'll receive additional information about the restaurant's location after you reserve a table.

EDIT - ok I saw thread above...this is not a new thing, So I guess question is do I save my money and just enjoy the new Polaris Club instead which I will have access to for my HKG flight.

Last edited by elg26; Mar 29, 19 at 11:30 am Reason: Moved to consodidated thread
elg26 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 19, 11:43 am
  #449  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,626
Originally Posted by elg26 View Post
I got an email today from UAthat I was invited to make a reservation at a restaurant, CLASSIFIED at EWR (im flying next week to HKG).


At CLASSIFIED, you'll be part of a select group of travelers who get to experience this invitation-only, 36-seat restaurant. Featuring upscale American cuisine with seasonal options, CLASSIFIED will tease your palate — and your sense of excitement — with a modern dining retreat that's the first of its kindReady to reserve?

Reservations are required to dine at CLASSIFIED. You'll receive additional information about the restaurant's location after you reserve a table.

EDIT - ok I saw thread above...this is not a new thing, So I guess question is do I save my money and just enjoy the new Polaris Club instead which I will have access to for my HKG flight.
This - "... just enjoy the new Polaris Club..." (Real food, real menu, cost included in your ticket)
elg26 likes this.
tarheelnj is offline  
Old Mar 29, 19, 11:53 am
  #450  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 6,457
Originally Posted by zdog2x View Post
Just had breakfast here. I think my wife's comment upon leaving just about sums it up. She not one that would typically use expletives in these situations.

"That was dreadful. United is not doing themselves any favors."

What made it dreadful:
- cold: literally
- cold: aesthetic
- cold: food
- cold: coffee
- slow: service
- bad: omlette
- bad: coffee
- bad: cappuccino

The hands down best thing of the meal was a properly toasted English muffin of all things.
YMMV apparently. We had a lovely brunch a while back. Great food, comped Bloody Mary cocktails, perfectly adequate coffee, attentive service and in general a relaxing way to start out trip.
zdog2x likes this.
as219 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread