Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR. Reopened 13 September 2022

Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Reopening Sept 13, 2022. If you login, reservations are available starting on that date. See below for the login/check access link.

menu for CLASSIFIED

Check if you were invited:
https://classified.united.com/dining/Login
or classified.united.com/dining

Print Wikipost

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR. Reopened 13 September 2022

Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by manstein58
Reopening today
Yep; I just received an invite for Friday's travel. Given that thanks to a weird schedule change I now have 4+ hours to kill at EWR, I may take them up on it.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by exerda
Yep; I just received an invite for Friday's travel. Given that thanks to a weird schedule change I now have 4+ hours to kill at EWR, I may take them up on it.
Please post a review if you do.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
I don't recall seeing an email (nor do I have any travel booked through EWR right now), but simply entering my MP number seems to indicate I am "invited" and can book a reservation for any day between now and February '23.

Hopefully my invitation doesn't expire before the next time I'm actually going to be in EWR.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 2:57 am

I gave it a try on the 17th. I haven’t been there before, so I have no point of comparison.
Reservation was for early afternoon and when I arrived it was empty.
Service was good, and both the appetizer as well as the main course I tried were good. The quietness of the place was nice. It did fill up quite a bit by the time I left.

One off turn was the ordering via QR code and phone. While obviously familiar with the concept the implementation wasn’t great and for the price level I would consider this inadequate for this type of establishment. Provided as feedback, I got a “this is the future” in response. Oh well.

Did I enjoy it? Yes. Would I do it again? Maybe.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by zig666

One off turn was the ordering via QR code and phone. While obviously familiar with the concept the implementation wasn’t great and for the price level I would consider this inadequate for this type of establishment. Provided as feedback, I got a “this is the future” in response. Oh well.
I loathe the QR code menus and phone ordering. Nothing about that experience says, "first class", and we don't need more phone noises disturbing us while dining. Waiters create ambiance, give advice when ordering, and allow for easy modifications to your order (e.g. extra onions), something that was difficult in Classified's previous iteration. I guess, "this is the future" also means, "no tipping". Hopefully, robot waiters are coming soon since humans seem no longer necessary.
as219, FriendlySkies and narvik like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 24, 2022 at 5:08 am
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by zig666
One off turn was the ordering via QR code and phone.
If ordering via QR code and phone has replaced the tabletop iPads they had previously, I think thats a win.
PTahCha, United747 and tcdtcd like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Ive got a flight ex-EWR next weekend and its letting me make a reservation for Classified. Tempted to give it a try for a drink or snack depending on what the offerings are.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Ive got a flight ex-EWR next weekend and its letting me make a reservation for Classified. Tempted to give it a try for a drink or snack depending on what the offerings are.
The menu is availble nline at the same site as reservations are made.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:56 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2022-09_EWR Classified Menu.pdf (107.3 KB, 278 views)
DJ_Iceman, kirkwoodj and narvik like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Got my Classified invite, first in years (obviously). Definitely nice to see in the inbox. But, I've got Polaris access on this trip and I may just rough it in there. (I've always enjoyed Polaris service and spirits, hope they are as good as in the past.) I agree that electronic ordering, either via QR code or iPad, seems a bit off-brand for fine dining.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I loathe the QR code menus and phone ordering. Nothing about that experience says, "first class", and we don't need more phone noises disturbing us while dining. Waiters create ambiance, give advice when ordering, and allow for easy modifications to your order (e.g. extra onions), something that was difficult in Classified's previous iteration. I guess, "this is the future" also means, "no tipping". Hopefully, robot waiters are coming soon since humans seem no longer necessary.
What's weird is they will provide a paper menu upon request, but insist you order via the QR code. What if you don't have a smart phone? (I assume they have another way to take orders?)

My phone was being finnicky and it took several tries to get it to actually recognize the QR code as such, but I was able to get in and order. The actual process of ordering in the app is fine and straightforward, but I do like having a real menu to review, too.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by legalalien
Please post a review if you do.
Ask and ye shall receive.

I visited Friday, 9/23, around lunchtime (my res was originally for 10:30am, but with various delays on my inbound, I moved it back). Per the instructions in the reservation email, I went to the hostess at the restaurant which it's "hidden" within, and it must have been a light-booking morning, as she said, "Ah, Mr. Exerda, yes, I have your reservation," before I even got 2 words out.

We walked back through the restaurant and the "hidden" door, down a hall, and she pointed out the restrooms, then seated me toward the back of the restaurant. From where I was, I only saw one other diner present, a couple of tables away.

Ordering is via QR as others have mentioned, though they do hand out a paper menu for reference upon request. I wish they put a QR code on the paper menu; the one at the table was either reflecting too much or something, and it took several tries to get my phone to recognize it. I think in fine print on below the QR code the URL is there, too, so you could just enter it into your web browser--but don't take that as gospel. The food was pretty pricey at first glance, but honestly, not much more (and maybe even a bit cheaper) than that offered by the various terminal restaurants. Appetizers averaged around $20 and mains around $38. IIRC, the beer I ordered was $13, again par for the course inside EWR IMHO (where I regularly pay $12 for a decent beer).

First out was this "compliments of the chef" mussel. No complaints; it was briney, with a hint of the sea.

I went with two appetizers as I just couldn't bring myself to eat a main knowing I had late lunch/early dinner plans already made for my arrival after my connecting flight. Above is the current iteration of the crab cake--quite tasty, but very different than the breaded and fritter-style one posted upthread.

If I'd gone with a main, I would have opted for the burger I think, so instead, I got the Snake River Wagyu beef sliders. The beef itself didn't disappoint, with a lightly-crispy outside and a smooth, unctuous mouth feel. My only objection is that though the bacon-onion jam topping the sliders was itself delicious, the flavor and textures were really strong and thus took away from the wagyu. The jam shouldn't dominate the slider, but it did. The pickles on top could have been brinier, honestly; they were a bit dry.

Overall, I enjoyed the meal, and I'd go back next time and try some other items on the menu.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Nice review. Do they still offer the 25% discount for using a UA-branded CC?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I have a high bar on airport/airline food - and those picture from exerda look very good - gets me wanting to try it
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by as219
Nice review. Do they still offer the 25% discount for using a UA-branded CC?
Sadly, I don't believe they do. It wasn't advertised, didn't show up on my receipt, and when I just checked my statement, there was just the total charge and the usual 2 miles / dollar for restaurant purchases. No separate statement credit or discount.

IIRC, didn't other OTG restaurants in EWR also used to offer a discount? I can recall scanning my BP at the tablets and paying with my UA card and getting something (15%?) off, but didn't see that option when grabbing a beer on Sunday during my return trip.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.