Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR.

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR.

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 1, 19, 6:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 12, 18, 7:47 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
With Polaris lounge now open, ... err.... is there actually even a NEED for this restaurant any longer?

I thought this was a great idea considering the lack of United provided options at EWR.
But since the Polaris lounge is (and eventually the new UC will be) open, I suspect this might close down.
AA over at JFK offers Flagship Dining (sit down a la carte) for their international first class passengers.

UA does not offer international first class out of EWR. The Polaris lounge is really just a business class lounge to begin with. For those who want an elevated dining experience, they will have to pay for it.
Old Jun 12, 18, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SAN 1K View Post
I ate here once with a reservation and the second time by just walking in. They were glad to welcome me as a 1K. (It was hardly crowded at the time). Have others had success as walk ins?
One more reason I predict its eventual or imminent closure. They're hardly making money off of it, and it seems like a huge cost, just to offer some extra food items and some exclusivity (*).

Note *: regarding exclusivity: apparently not THAT exclusive, if they just let anyone as walk-ins in!
Old Jun 12, 18, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam View Post
AA over at JFK offers Flagship Dining (sit down a la carte) for their international first class passengers.

UA does not offer international first class out of EWR. The Polaris lounge is really just a business class lounge to begin with. For those who want an elevated dining experience, they will have to pay for it.
Aye, fair enough. Just curious then: does everyone who books, say a J or Y fare automatically get an invite?
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had dinner here last night after arriving from RDU. I think it's a bit odd that a Premier Silver flying on a $319 r/t RDU-EWR coach fare is granted access but hey, I'm not complaining. I had made my reservation originally for 8:15 PM but we were delayed so I emailed to move it to 8:45, I received a prompt response saying this was no issue. When I arrived I had trouble finding the entrance but thankfully a friendly member of the waitstaff found a manager to let me in. Once inside I was very impressed.

At first it was just me and two other diners and eventually it was just me solo. Wifi works well in here so I was able to work while enjoying a leisurely dinner. I will say though, the ordering system is weird. First I plugged in what I wanted and did nothing and I was told my order had timed out. So I reinputted everything and then had to pay (and select a tip) before the order could be processed. I don't like that aspect but I guess it means you can leave right away. I ordered a shrimp cocktail which was delicious and then a veal dish which was actually pretty tasteless. However, the beef fat fries were amazing.

Overall I'm glad I visited and for an evening arrival where I was headed to a limited service hotel in the middle of nowhere, it was perfect. It was also a great place to relax and kill time at. The food was mixed but again, this is an airport. I might come back, we'll see.
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:08 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
I'm curious. Is everyone who eats here on an expense account or do some folks pay out of their own pocket? I pay for my own food and cannot imagine spending this kind of money while waiting for a flight at an airport. I've never been one to eat at airports (even though I'm a United Club member) so maybe it's just me.
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Regarding paying up front, I had the same experience you did. After the timeout I learned you had to complete the swipe to send your order. You do have the option to continue ordering, whether for more food or dessert or a new drink, and the system knows it’s you. I found that helpful and knowing it now wouldn’t find the swipe first aspect annoying.
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nycityny View Post
I'm curious. Is everyone who eats here on an expense account or do some folks pay out of their own pocket? I pay for my own food and cannot imagine spending this kind of money while waiting for a flight at an airport. I've never been one to eat at airports (even though I'm a United Club member) so maybe it's just me.
I was paying out of my own pocket. I had a scotch, appetizer, entree and side and with the 20% discount paid about $90 with tip. That's not out of line for a good dinner, especially in the New York area, and it was that or delivery to the Fairfield Inn EWR so I didn't mind.
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Paid out of my own pocket. Perfectly reasonable and appropriate for the location, quality and service level I received. Especially with a 20% discount for a Chase credit card.
- I do not think it's a good use of miles, but if you have millions of them, I suppose it would be fine -

Tab at Classified on iPad
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Hand sanitizer is listed n the menu??!! ... blech!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
At least they appear to be free-of-charge!
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's FREE hand sanitizer!

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Probably a good thing to have after touching that iPad. Perhaps it should be used to wipe down the iPad as well.
Old Jun 12, 18, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
It's FREE hand sanitizer!
It would be so much nicer if they kept their restaurant clean enough that ne didn't need to worry about using hand sanitizer when dining there. What on earth is that doing on the menu??!! Maybe it really s to keep the ipads clean ... but they should keep those clean without my having to order sanitizer.
Old Jun 12, 18, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
the hand sanitizer is not free! it's showing as $0.00 in the photo because it hasn't been ordered. select a quantity by clicking the + button one or more times and a price will appear.
Old Jun 12, 18, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by UK Stages View Post
the hand sanitizer is not free! it's showing as $0.00 in the photo because it hasn't been ordered. select a quantity by clicking the + button one or more times and a price will appear.
It would mean every item would have to be selected in order to reveal its price. Does that also holds true for food items?
Flawed way of implementing a menu. That would only make sense to someone like....hmm, an employee at United's IT department maybe.

Search this Thread