Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQD requirement for foreign members, will it ever happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PQD requirement for foreign members, will it ever happen?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
I believe there should be one, across the board, policy regarding the attaining of status. While I understand those living outside the US love that there is not a PQD threshold I believe a standard threshold maintains the integrity of the program. Just my opinion.
UA has every right to do that. However, they shouldn't be surprised if foreigners and expats choose a different airline to patronize. Living in the UK now, there are tons of options to get me stateside not called United. In addition, UA has not yet launched domestic service within the UK making it difficult for me to rack up my miles on my domestic flights. Back when I was living in Canada, while it was easier to accumulate status thanks to AC being a member of *, I couldn't access much of my UA benefits on those domestic flights (i.e. CPUs were useless, E+ seating went away a couple of years ago on AC flights, etc.). The fact of the matter is, many of us foreigners, have to go out of our way to attain status with UA knowing full well that we won't be able to use the hard earned benefits when we fly in the countries/regions where UA doesn't fly or serve well.

In addition, UA has already addressed the issue of cheap fares by introducing Economy Basic on domestic and now TATL sectors. I'm counting the months till the other shoe drops on TPAC fares. They've made it so you know have to shell out $100+ roundtrip just to have the luxury of earning the normal stack of PQMs. If anything,

Do I feel guilty having spent $2,500 CAD last year to attain Gold status? Not at all! I was able to find a bunch of great value fares (i.e. YYZ>SIN, YOW>HKG, YYZ>MAN/LHR) that I doubt the average milage runner we would have the opportunity to take advantage of let alone be aware of.

Safe Travels,

James
whitethunder and Kannai like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Totally understunderstand the no PQD requirement for nonresidents at the lower levels because as you note there is the CC waiver for US residents. The lack of symmetry (IMO) is at the 1K level where there is no CC waiver for US residents but nonresidents still have no PQD requirement.

As stated am going to join the pool of nonresidents in 2020 where I will choose which airline to fly TPAC/TATL as those TODs (on any airline) look very good when you are not concerned with PQDs.
I'm not concerned with PDQs here in Japan but as a 1K on UA flying in Y I get better perks (seat of choice for free, much faster IRROPS problem solving) than I would as a mere *G on OALs. Plus I'm trying to get million-miler status, for which I need UA BIS miles. So, while I don't contribute at least $15K in revenue partly because I fly TK to Europe and partly because of the pricing of Y transpac tickets, the program does keep me loyal. Plus I do buy more expensive tickets to use GPUs (my mental limit is about $600 more rt as long as space is available at purchase. So the program is working to get more money from me.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:54 pm

Keep in mind also that UA isn't really cutting us foreigners much of a "deal" here. Just looking at other *A partners, they offer comparable (and some would argue even better) loyalty programs than UA. For instance, OZ will give you lifetime *Gold once you hit 500,000 miles flying any of the *A airlines not just OZ - this by itself puts the MM program to shame. It's also possible to get up to 4 years of *Gold with them only flying 50,000 miles in a year. Similarly, A3 halves the number of miles required to renew your *Gold membership. The reason I chose UA over the others was in part the PQD waiver and the greater likelihood I'll be using the UA specific benefits over, say, OZ or A3 which don't fly to Canada.

-James
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:50 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
A couple of quick questions, just because I’m lazy.

1. Is there a credit card PQD waver for 1K status using the United explorer card? Simply trying to shorten the timeline to getting the GPU’s.

2. Recently purchased a retirement home in the USVI’s, if I make this my address will that allow me to escape the PQD requirement. Once I retire in a couple of years, I will spend half my time there, but I do have a legal address as of now.

Again, my goal is simply to shorten the timeline to receiving GPU’s. I average ~$15K a month on my explore card and I will hit 100K PQM’s in April but I typically don’t hit the PQD threshold until about 150K to 175K PQM’s due to cheap coach fares.

Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
2. Recently purchased a retirement home in the USVI’s, if I make this my address will that allow me to escape the PQD requirement. Once I retire in a couple of years, I will spend half my time there, but I do have a legal address as of now.
Per the fine print in UA's PQD FAQ:
1. The Premier® qualifying dollars (PQD) requirement only applies to members whose primary MileagePlus account address is in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. Those who use military or diplomatic addresses (APO, DPO or FPO) are exempt from the PQD requirement.
Last I checked USVI is not one of the 50 states nor the District of Columbia (albeit I'm Canadian so my geography might be off here )
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:34 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Per the fine print in UA's PQD FAQ:

Last I checked USVI is not one of the 50 states nor the District of Columbia (albeit I'm Canadian so my geography might be off here )
Thanks, answers both my questions. Got to get away from these New England winters.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
Thanks, answers both my questions. Got to get away from these New England winters.
I should also point out that there have been reports on FT of UA wanting to verify that you do in fact live in that address (i.e. with a utility bill). Sometimes this happens when you change your primary address to a "non-US" address on the UA website, other times UA will contact you a few days/weeks after the change. I personally haven't experienced this myself (likely because I have a Canadian passport and Canadian address when I updated my primary address to my current UK address) but something to keep in mind.

But yeah, the PQD certainly takes a load off my mind - I can get those 4 UA segments relatively easily due to conferences stateside and family that live in Eastern Canada. At the end of the day, all that matters is finding a couple of quality TATL/TPAC K fares (i.e. I'm on a $380 USD LHR>LAX return booked this month and a $325 USD LHR>SFO return booked for June).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The program is already inherently unfair to people outside the U.S. For one thing, 90% of all Mileage Plus promotions only apply to U.S. residents. ...
While that may have been true 3-4 years ago, there has not been a PQM promo for anyone for a couple of years. Guess UA could resume those again but for now, it is past history and not a US resident advantage.

The only significant distinction now is the difficulty of non-residents (those without an SSN or US credit history) to get a Chase card that provides a PQD waiver.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
Originally Posted by david_oz
As a Canadian based 1K, I hope this doesn't change. Obviously I'm biased, but the truth is that I literally go out of my way to stay loyal to United. Living in YYC, it would be far more convenient and quicker to fly TPAC via YVR, and TATL via YYZ (or even direct with WS). Both options have way more frequency and shorter overall flight times than the UA option, for example, if I misconnect at ORD, I'm waiting a minimum of 6 hours for the next flight, but at YYZ there is a flight every hour to get me home. However, I choose to stay loyal to United because I value the benefits that status confers. As a result, UA gets approx US$10k of spend per year from me that they wouldn't have otherwise.

A lot of FT members say "if UA made xxx change, I would leave and my spend would go to zero", but the reality is that US based fliers have limited options which suit their price and schedule, so UA can afford to impose a dollar requirement on them without sacrificing too much revenue (it may even be a net revenue driver for them). Also to the extent they alienate one of their elites, AA or DL are probably doing the same making it a net zero sum game. In contrast, I can say with certainty that if UA imposed a PQD limit on me, my spend with them would definitely go to zero, because I have no reason to transit via UA hubs when AC hubs are more convenient for me*.

My guess is for residents in other countries with less convenient UA connections than Canada, the choice to defect would be even more compelling if there was a PQD requirement. I'm sure in contrast to US elites, we are a pretty small part of the revenue mix, but we're almost like a windfall gain to UA due to the PQD waiver. Why would they want to give that up?

* Side note: For what it's worth, AC play the same strategy in their domestic market with AQD and extremely stingy PQM on lower fare classes, leaving Canadians with a choice of either suffering with an lackluster program for status, or defecting to one of the US big 3 like I did.
I'm in the exact same boat. As a WS owner (not an employee), if UA ever takes away the waiver I'm shifting all my TATL to WS and TPAC to whoever has the best priced lie-flat on that day. Flying all my Canadian domestic legs with WS, I would not hit the new $15K USD spend for 1K.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While that may have been true 3-4 years ago, there has not been a PQM promo for anyone for a couple of years. Guess UA could resume those again but for now, it is past history and not a US resident advantage.

The only significant distinction now is the difficulty of non-residents (those without an SSN or US credit history) to get a Chase card that provides a PQD waiver.
Not just PQMs, but I haven’t gotten any of the RDM promotions offers while my parents who are in the US have gotten most of them. Of course they are generally not that great so I don’t lose out on much.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Not just PQMs, but I haven’t gotten any of the RDM promotions offers while my parents who are in the US have gotten most of them. Of course they are generally not that great so I don’t lose out on much.
Neither have I but I am a USA resident.

But the subject here is "earning" status and there have been no PQM promos for some time.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
You need more than just a SSN or credit history - you need either to be actually resident, or be willing to lie on your application about your residence.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:36 am

However, the PQD waiver offered by Chase is pretty weak - only up to Platinum status?! Are you kidding me! At least as a foreigner I get the privilege of earning my 1K status even though I don't have the luxury of logging those 100,000 miles entirely thru UA metal.

As for the ability to get US credit cards as a non-resident, while I comment specifically on Chase cards, at least for AE cards you don't need a credit history nor a SSN to get a US card - just a US address to mail it to (which may or may not happen to be the same address as a small US forwarding depot which then forwards your mail on to Canada). Whether or not it's legal or ethical to apply for one if you aren't a resident there is a whole other matter.

In my case, I managed to get a UK AE Gold card as an international Master's student even though I neither have a UK credit file nor do I have the UK's equivalent of a SSN. All I needed to do was to call the Global Transfers number, provide them with a scan of my passport to prove my identity and 2-3 weeks later my Gold card arrived at my UK residence! They used my Canadian credit history and membership with them to establish my UK credit history and extend me credit whilst I am studying here!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Are you sure about that one? Both DL and AA have spend requirements to earn elite status for non-US residents.
DL has a non-resident exemption. AA probably just has a more aggressive legal department.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
DL has a non-resident exemption. AA probably just has a more aggressive legal department.
That doesn't explain AC's érrorPlan. Canadians have to spend so much to qualify for elite status with non-Canadian residents having to spend half that much with AC, making your Yankee érrorPlan Super Elite having to fork out $10,000 CAD per year to AC!

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.