Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQD requirement for foreign members, will it ever happen?

PQD requirement for foreign members, will it ever happen?

Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
As a Canadian based 1K, I hope this doesn't change. Obviously I'm biased, but the truth is that I literally go out of my way to stay loyal to United. Living in YYC, it would be far more convenient and quicker to fly TPAC via YVR, and TATL via YYZ (or even direct with WS). Both options have way more frequency and shorter overall flight times than the UA option, for example, if I misconnect at ORD, I'm waiting a minimum of 6 hours for the next flight, but at YYZ there is a flight every hour to get me home. However, I choose to stay loyal to United because I value the benefits that status confers. As a result, UA gets approx US$10k of spend per year from me that they wouldn't have otherwise.

A lot of FT members say "if UA made xxx change, I would leave and my spend would go to zero", but the reality is that US based fliers have limited options which suit their price and schedule, so UA can afford to impose a dollar requirement on them without sacrificing too much revenue (it may even be a net revenue driver for them). Also to the extent they alienate one of their elites, AA or DL are probably doing the same making it a net zero sum game. In contrast, I can say with certainty that if UA imposed a PQD limit on me, my spend with them would definitely go to zero, because I have no reason to transit via UA hubs when AC hubs are more convenient for me*.

My guess is for residents in other countries with less convenient UA connections than Canada, the choice to defect would be even more compelling if there was a PQD requirement. I'm sure in contrast to US elites, we are a pretty small part of the revenue mix, but we're almost like a windfall gain to UA due to the PQD waiver. Why would they want to give that up?

* Side note: For what it's worth, AC play the same strategy in their domestic market with AQD and extremely stingy PQM on lower fare classes, leaving Canadians with a choice of either suffering with an lackluster program for status, or defecting to one of the US big 3 like I did.
YYCowboy likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know why AA keeps the EQD requirement for foreign members?
I assume AA has got good reasons to do so.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by david_oz
My guess is for residents in other countries with less convenient UA connections than Canada, the choice to defect would be even more compelling if there was a PQD requirement. I'm sure in contrast to US elites, we are a pretty small part of the revenue mix, but we're almost like a windfall gain to UA due to the PQD waiver. Why would they want to give that up?
Not me, that's for sure. If UA imposes a PQD requirement, this China-based 1K flyer would definitely start making other choices, and they might not even be Star Alliance choices! What miffs me right now is not even getting full PQM credit for flights unless I buy full-fare economy tickets on airlines like Shenzhen. China highly restricts airline routes and, for where I live, Shenzhen is one of the bigger operators. Flights on them earn me only 75% PQMs. Grrr.

I do feel a bit spoiled, however, as I was able to make 1K last year on < $10,000 spend :-) So maybe I just have to take some of the good with the bad.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
On AA you get EQDs on non-AA tickets as percentage of miles. For me, EQDs on non-AA flights has always have been higher (sometimes significantly) than what I paid for the tickets. So it's easy to meet the threshold if you are a foreign member. Same with Delta, but they play some games with AF/KL tickets where they issue it on Delta stock if you use a US credit card, so you get regular (spend-based) MQDs instead of higher, miles-based MQDs.

Note that a system like this makes it easier for US-based members to meet the spending requirement if they travel a bit internationally.

Originally Posted by Neil35
Does anyone know why AA keeps the EQD requirement for foreign members?
I assume AA has got good reasons to do so.
Kannai likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
On AA you get EQDs on non-AA tickets as percentage of miles. For me, EQDs on non-AA flights has always have been higher (sometimes significantly) than what I paid for the tickets. So it's easy to meet the threshold if you are a foreign member. Same with Delta, but they play some games with AF/KL tickets where they issue it on Delta stock if you use a US credit card, so you get regular (spend-based) MQDs instead of higher, miles-based MQDs.

Note that a system like this makes it easier for US-based members to meet the spending requirement if they travel a bit internationally.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
United would have to come up with a way of awarding PQDs like Delta does for tickets issued on Partner stock operated by partner airlines.

I didn’t meet the $12k PQD threshold for 1K last year but did fly quite a bit on Lufthansa and SWISS flights/tickets so I don’t feel too bad about it.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I believe there should be one, across the board, policy regarding the attaining of status. While I understand those living outside the US love that there is not a PQD threshold I believe a standard threshold maintains the integrity of the program. Just my opinion.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Same with Delta, but they play some games with AF/KL tickets where they issue it on Delta stock if you use a US credit card, so you get regular (spend-based) MQDs instead of higher, miles-based MQDs.
This is no longer true for DL (and hasn't been true for over a year now). As of January 1, 2018, DL MQD earn is now purely based on marketing carrier and ticketing carrier has no bearing. So if you buy a AF or KL marketed flight on an 006 ticket, it will now earn miles/MQD's based on mileage using the partner charts. MQD/mileage earn will be based on spend only if the AF/KL flight is DL marketed.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
I believe there should be one, across the board, policy regarding the attaining of status. While I understand those living outside the US love that there is not a PQD threshold I believe a standard threshold maintains the integrity of the program. Just my opinion.
i get that, but see UA walking a line to encourage those living in foreign countries to continue using UA where they can, where it’s much harder to earn PQD unless they are exclusively doing home-US trips. If you are, say, EU-based, and do half of your travel to the US, and other half to EU/Asia, what incentive is there to use UA on those US trips, unless you are consistently buying full-fare or close to it and might make PQD anyway. Zero if you can’t make status - much easier to use LH group in that case (even with M&M’s own drawbacks).

I could see see an argument where if they devise a way for PQD to happen when flying on partners, that PQD is required no matter where you live. But until then, I’m guessing the calculation from those who have access to the numbers is that it would cause UA to lose too much business.

example, when I was an expat in India, and when PQD and dollar-based earning first started, there would have been zero incentive for me to use MP or UA on my trips back home to US and Canada when as much or more of my travel was within India and Asia and therefore impossible to do on UA. In that case, it would make more sense for me to use one of or some
combo of LH/TK/SQ/AC (etc.) when there would be no possibility of earning UA status. Also, probably would have been much easier to do my Asia travel on non *A, where instead, I typically used SQ and TG almost exclusively. The PQD waiver kept me on UA when possible. Alternatively, needing to meet PQD with a reasonable PQD rate on partners would have done the same.
drewguy and Kannai like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I think it would be a very interesting statistic in 2020 of percentage of non-US based 1K members. Not that we (the general public) will be told but the higher PQD requirement only hurts domestic 1K members. Will not change their miles flown just their airline of choice as most 1K members from 2019 will have the CC waiver for Platinum (akin to PQD waiver).

I could be wrong but I suspect UA is going to see a significant increase in percentage of non-US based 1K members.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe a standard threshold maintains the integrity of the program. Just my opinion.
The integrity of the program?

It's a marketing program, for heaven's sake. Why on earth should I, as a customer, care about its "integrity"? I care about getting the best benefit for the least cost, and I detest the PQD system because it is a direct impediment to my doing that.

Besides, the fact that UA is willing to waive the PQD rules based on credit-card spending already means that the program's integrity has been tarnished.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Will not change their miles flown just their airline of choice as most 1K members from 2019 will have the CC waiver for Platinum (akin to PQD waiver).
What makes you think that "most" 2019 1K members will have the CC waiver? $25K in spending on a United-branded card is quite a bit for what you get. I have an Explorer card, but I have no desire to shift that much spending from a card with better benefits just to get a PQD waiver.
kb1992 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
That's fair; and if that happens, I'll be more than happy to credit my flights on NH instead. I'll probably only be a NH Platinum, but at least I get semi-lifetime *G through a NH credit card.

See, everyone's happy!

In all seriousness though, IMO sticking with UA is a harder and more inconvenient decision for overseas members than it is for domestic members. So I feel only slightly guilty that I hit 1K with $3000 PQD.
Kannai likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Are you sure you’re not just jealous?

rankourabu, Kannai and JMBResona like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I think it would be a very interesting statistic in 2020 of percentage of non-US based 1K members. Not that we (the general public) will be told but the higher PQD requirement only hurts domestic 1K members. Will not change their miles flown just their airline of choice as most 1K members from 2019 will have the CC waiver for Platinum (akin to PQD waiver).

I could be wrong but I suspect UA is going to see a significant increase in percentage of non-US based 1K members.
Perhaps so, of course it matters a bit less. If someone is flying UA less frequently than the typical 1K, hence low PQD, then they're not getting most of the benefits, and thus not taking "your" upgrades or "your" place in the Group 1 moshpit.
SFHokie, Kannai and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
Perhaps so, of course it matters a bit less. If someone is flying UA less frequently than the typical 1K, hence low PQD, then they're not getting most of the benefits, and thus not taking "your" upgrades or "your" place in the Group 1 moshpit.
I primarily travel internationally so am in the same GPU moshpit as 1K members who do not reside in the USA. We all have a choice of carrier for international travel whether we reside in the USA or outside the USA. GPUs can only be earned by 1K members so do wonder if United will bring in the same 1K requirement. I still think my original musing about the percentage of non-US resident 1K members in 2020 would be an interesting statistic.

I do agree with your proposition as it relates to domestic travel (which is not my concern as my domestic travel is quite limited and generally short hops and I travel South West as often as I fly United for domestic travel).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.