Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Exit Row With Underage Child in Reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exit Row With Underage Child in Reservation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by joe_miami

As with every other thread on this site, if you're not interested in the topic, you're free to not read it.
I'm very interested in the exit row topic, or I wouldn't have responded.
If I'm not in F/C I'm in 21C, and I know how to decipher what the rule re 15 & under means.
Many very astute and knowledgeable (long time) posters have pointed out the rule on here, and it's literal meaning, but a misinterpretation and parsing of the word "OR" for one's own benefit ain't gonna cut it. I have over the years booked all of my family as adults, and UA's reservation system doesn't know the difference. I have never placed any of my grandkids, who at the time, were under 15 in the awkward position of having to be relocated during the boarding process.

perhaps further research as to what the rule actually states would be territory to venture into.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 20, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: Removed overly personal comment
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Or maybe they simply made their own more explicit rule to avoid these sorts of problems. (I'm guessing it's this one.)

Again, has anyone here ever seen an exit-row passenger asked for ID? I sure haven't. Either airlines are hard-coding a restriction into their systems or this isn't nearly as hard-and-fast of a rule as some are claiming.
It's a hard and fast rule, you're just interpreting it differently than the FAA does. I pinged a friend who is an Aviation Safety Inspector with the FAA and he confirmed that 15 years of age is a hard-and-fast rule. Further, placards carry the weight of regulation, so if they exist they must be followed.

In the FAA's guidance to flight attendants on enforcement of exit row rules, they word it very slightly differently which makes it a bit more clear:
Is the person less than 15 years of age or does the person lack the capacity to perform one or more of the functions listed in §§ 121.585(d) and 135.129(d) without the assistance of an adult companion, parent, or other relative?
In that case, it's slightly more clear that it is two separate clauses, and if either of them are true then the person is exit row ineligible.
jsloan and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by Sykes; Aug 20, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sykes
It's a hard and fast rule, you're just interpreting it differently than the FAA does. I pinged a friend who is an Aviation Safety Inspector with the FAA and he confirmed that 15 years of age is a hard-and-fast rule. Further, placards carry the weight of regulation, so if they exist they must be followed.

In the FAA's guidance to flight attendants on enforcement of exit row rules, they word it very slightly differently which makes it a bit more clear:

In that case, it's slightly more clear that it is two separate clauses, and if either of them are true then the person is exit row ineligible.
If this is the case, it sounds like the FAA has outsourced their regulation-writing and/or rules-enforcing to people who don't speak fluent English. As I mentioned earlier, the phrase "if the certificate holder determines" unambiguously grants discretion to the carriers. It's absurd that that phrase can somehow be "interpreted" to mean the exact opposite — i.e., that carriers actually have no discretion whatsoever.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 20, 2018 at 6:37 pm Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:16 pm

If this is the case, it sounds like the FAA has outsourced their regulation-writing and/or rules-enforcing to people who don't speak fluent English. As I mentioned earlier, the phrase "if the certificate holder determines" unambiguously grants discretion to the carriers. It's absurd that that phrase can somehow be "interpreted" to mean the exact opposite — i.e., that carriers actually have no discretion whatsoever.
You won't see me defending the text itself--I think it is terribly written. As someone who has spent FAR more time than I'd like to admit reading and interpreting FAA regulations, I would say that the disqualifying criteria (the 7 items listed in section b) are hard criteria, and it is determining whether or not an individual fits into one of those categories where the carrier has discretion. Item #2 is especially strange, but it's trying to say that people under 15 are automatically ineligible, but so are older individuals who require the assistance of an adult companion. The document I linked earlier dives into this a bit more into the discretion in determining whether an individual fits into those categories ... for example:
a) For example, if a passenger is being evaluated for assignment to an exit seat, age (with the exception of those younger than 15 years of age) or the size of a person alone should not be the determining factors. The airline employee must evaluate the individual’s physical and mental capabilities and other conditions, as clearly outlined in the selection criteria. If that individual meets all the selection criteria, then age or size alone should not be a disqualifying factor.

b) However, if that individual has difficulty walking and lifting his or her own
carry-on luggage, then the application of the neutral criteria would exclude this individual from being assigned an exit seat because it would appear by observation that the individual would not be able to move expeditiously and perform the tasks involved in the emergency evacuation.
(Another rather tortured way of saying that age alone is only disqualifying for people under 15.)

In practice, it doesn't really matter how bad the regulation is written since everyone that matters (the FAA and the airlines) are interpreting it the same way, and the airlines are required to design and implement a more prescriptive exit seating program into their FAA-approved policies and procedures, and those policies and procedures also carry the weight of regulation once they are approved.
jsloan and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by Sykes; Aug 20, 2018 at 5:22 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:21 pm
Suspended

In practice, it doesn't really matter how bad the regulation is written since everyone that matters (the FAA and the airlines) are interpreting it the same way, and the airlines are required to design and implement an exit seating program into their FAA-approved policies and procedures, and those policies and procedures also carry the weight of regulation once they are approved.
It's still not clear that "everyone that matters" is "interpreting it the same way," since the airlines "no children under 15" statements could simply be a case of managing customer expectations and not a statement of no-exceptions internal policy.

If there truly was a hard-and-fast "no children under 15" policy on United, then what are the odds of a GA and a plane full of FAs all turning their heads and ignoring policy on the same flight for some family none of them knows? That would be a hell of a breakdown. It also remains unexplained why seating systems that allow or disallow seat assignments based on status or fare paid wouldn't be hard-coded to disallow anyone under 15. Doing that would be a lot easier than trusting GAs and FAs to make the right call 100% of the time on thousands of daily flights, wouldn't it?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:29 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by sierramikewhiskey
Mr8,
They were so quick to take off they walked through doing a head count and never stopped to confirm her age.
And that's the problem right there. It's like the brown M&Ms, and kind of makes you wonder what other safety issues this particular crew may have been overlooking.

Still, you probably should have notified the crew if you and your family were uncomfortable in the exit row.

Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:58 pm

If there truly was a hard-and-fast "no children under 15" policy on United, then what are the odds of a GA and a plane full of FAs all turning their heads and ignoring policy on the same flight for some family none of them knows?
On a single flight out of thousands in a given day? Pretty high. If you read enough threads on FlyerTalk, you'll see FT members witnessing regulatory violations all the time. I wouldn't expect to see such a breakdown often, but it definitely happens from time-to-time. The FAA's philosophy on risk management assumes that there will be gaps at points along the way because no individual measure is perfect.

You can keep doubting it, but the fact is that the age limit is regulatory, and it is enforced that way.

Doing that would be a lot easier than trusting GAs and FAs to make the right call 100% of the time on thousands of daily flights, wouldn't it?
Given the state of United's IT, I'm guessing it isn't a priority since in the end the GAs and FAs have to do the final verification anyway. Age is only one of many factors that affect exit row eligibility, and even if the system prevents that seat assignment, people often end up swapping seats once on-board anyway.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:06 pm
Suspended

On a single flight out of thousands in a given day? Pretty high. If you read enough threads on FlyerTalk, you'll see FT members witnessing regulatory violations all the time. I wouldn't expect to see such a breakdown often, but it definitely happens from time-to-time. The FAA's philosophy on risk management assumes that there will be gaps at points along the way because no individual measure is perfect.

You can keep doubting it, but the fact is that the age limit is regulatory, and it is enforced that way.
According to whom? The guy you texted? Are there any examples of an airline being sanctioned for violating this alleged hard-and-fast rule?

Given the state of United's IT, I'm guessing it isn't a priority since in the end the GAs and FAs have to do the final verification anyway. Age is only one of many factors that affect exit row eligibility, and even if the system prevents that seat assignment, people often end up swapping seats once on-board anyway.
This is little more than a hand-wave. United's IT has no problem verifying a passenger's United status and/or fare paid. There's no reason it can't do a simple age check, too.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It also remains unexplained why seating systems that allow or disallow seat assignments based on status or fare paid wouldn't be hard-coded to disallow anyone under 15. Doing that would be a lot easier than trusting GAs and FAs to make the right call 100% of the time on thousands of daily flights, wouldn't it?
actually, UA seating systems do that at some level.

Ever since I began traveling with my daughter starting at 3 months (she is 3 and a half now), exit rows are blocked off for me every time I’m traveling with her. Happens every time, even when the seat map of a new reservation without a child allows it. So it does do that. The question is why or how an agent can do it in this case Seating systems that disallow certain seats for certain individuals have exceptions to them, and GAs need to do this all the time. By definition, those sitting in BE should never be in anyE+ seat, but go to that thread and see the instances being reported just there - imagine if it’s being reporters on here so much, how much it must happen in general. Difference is BE being disallowed from E+ is a choice UA makes for their own benefit. This is a safety issue.

IMO, there might be some 13 year olds who could open an exit door - even some who might be able to do so in the stress of an emergency. But I’d guess these are the exception, and be majority wouldn’t/couldn’t. For that matter, I bet there are a number of adults that might not be able to handle that responsibility in the heat of the moment, but far fewer.

Biggest problem of exit row seating these days, IME, is that carriers charge for it like it is any other extra legroom seat, promoting it as such, instead of that those in those seats need to be prepared to help in a worst case scenario. So now you have people that don’t really want to help in an emergency, just looking to score a more comfortable seat, and paying for the privilege. No, most sitting there aren’t going to be needed, but the wrong person in that seat on the wrong flight could mean the difference between survivors in the event of a crash or not. I don’t think carriers should be taking that risk (but this last paragraph is probably fodder for a different thread).
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:26 pm

According to whom? The guy you texted? Are there any examples of an airline being sanctioned for violating this alleged hard-and-fast rule?
Yup, the guy I texted whose job is overseeing airline operations. You won't find any enforcement actions because the vast majority of the time issues are resolved privately and without enforcement action. It's only with extremely serious systemic issues that these kinds of things become public (and even in the linked story the specific details of the violations were not made public).

I don't really expect me to trust me on the issue though. I'm pretty sure the acting FAA administrator himself could show up to the thread and you still wouldn't believe him.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Ever since I began traveling with my daughter starting at 3 months (she is 3 and a half now), exit rows are blocked off for me every time I’m traveling with her. Happens every time, even when the seat map of a new reservation without a child allows it. So it does do that. The question is why or how an agent can do it in this case.
Sounds like GAs can override it, at least in some contexts.

IMO, there might be some 13 year olds who could open an exit door - even some who might be able to do so in the stress of an emergency. But I’d guess these are the exception, and be majority wouldn’t/couldn’t. For that matter, I bet there are a number of adults that might not be able to handle that responsibility in the heat of the moment, but far fewer.
I agree with this. As I said earlier, I wouldn't want a 13-year-old responsible for the exit door. But a 13-year-old sitting in a middle or aisle, accompanied by an adult parent and an adult brother? There's no safety issue there.

Last edited by joe_miami; Aug 20, 2018 at 6:37 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Yup, the guy I texted whose job is overseeing airline operations. You won't find any enforcement actions because the vast majority of the time issues are resolved privately and without enforcement action. It's only with extremely serious systemic issues that these kinds of things become public (and even in the linked story the specific details of the violations were not made public).

I don't really expect me to trust me on the issue though. I'm pretty sure the acting FAA administrator himself could show up to the thread and you still wouldn't believe him.
It's bizarre that anyone would have to "trust" anyone here. We're not debating proprietary information. If there was an explicit FAA rule affecting the public, it should be easy to cite. But 24 hours into the discussion, all we have are a citation to FAA regs that unambiguously grant discretion to the carriers, plus someone claiming he texted someone.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with this. As I said earlier, I wouldn't want a 13-year-old responsible for the exit door. But a 13-year-old sitting in a middle or aisle, accompanied by an adult parent and an adult brother? There's no safety issue there.
From the FAA perspective, there's no difference. Not only would there be a concern that the adult's first priority would be the child, but everyone in the emergency exit row is responsible for the exit door, not just the window passenger. The window seat could be empty, the window passenger could be in the lavatory -- heck, the window passenger could already have been incapacitated.

It's bizarre that anyone would have to "trust" anyone here. We're not debating proprietary information. If there was an explicit FAA rule affecting the public, it should be easy to cite. But 24 hours into the discussion, all we have are a citation to FAA regs that unambiguously grant discretion to the carriers, plus someone claiming he texted someone.
The rule has been cited several times, and the intent is unambiguous, and it's not what you've repeatedly claimed that it is. Several different sources have been presented to show you that the intent of the rule is that no one may be seated in the exit row under 15 years of age. You continue to parse an "or" which appears to be sloppy writing, is ambiguous at best, and which would never be interpreted the way that you claim, because your interpretation makes the age restriction superfluous. Regulations (and laws) are intended to be read with the understanding that unnecessary words are not added, so that if you have two conflicting interpretations, one of which would make part of the phrase superfluous, the other one is correct. Put another way: the FAA would not bother coming up with an age clause if the intent was that certificate holders could disregard it.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:51 pm

The law may be verbose, but only someone who doesn’t know the meaning of the word “or” would think the under-15 restriction only applies in conjunction with something else. “And” and “or” are two different words.

In any event, from what I can tell, you seem to be the only one that thinks the under-15 rule is optional, and for everyone else, it’s clear as day.

If you need further proof, here is what the USDOT says on the matter ( https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...family-seating )
  • FAA regulations prohibit children under 15 and passengers caring for small children from sitting in exit row seats. Please contact your specific airline for more information on its exit row policy.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsloan
From the FAA perspective, there's no difference. Not only would there be a concern that the adult's first priority would be the child, but everyone in the emergency exit row is responsible for the exit door, not just the window passenger. The window seat could be empty, the window passenger could be in the lavatory -- heck, the window passenger could already have been incapacitated.
With all due respect, that seems to be your perspective, not the FAA's, since we still don't have a citation to an actual FAA regulation that explicitly bans anyone under 15 from ever sitting in an exit row. Regardless, why would a person in the exit row be more distracted by a 13-year-old than by a spouse or parent or a 16-year-old child? If a plane crashes and you're in an exit row next to your 13-year-old, you pull the lever and go.

The rule has been cited several times, and the intent is unambiguous, and it's not what you've repeatedly claimed that it is. Several different sources have been presented to show you that the intent of the rule is that no one may be seated in the exit row under 15 years of age. You continue to parse an "or" which appears to be sloppy writing, is ambiguous at best, and which would never be interpreted the way that you claim, because your interpretation makes the age restriction superfluous. Regulations (and laws) are intended to be read with the understanding that unnecessary words are not added, so that if you have two conflicting interpretations, one of which would make part of the phrase superfluous, the other one is correct. Put another way: the FAA would not bother coming up with an age clause if the intent was that certificate holders could disregard it.
If "the intent [was] unambiguous," we wouldn't be in Hour 24 of the discussion. "No passenger under the age of 15 shall ever be seated in an exit row" is unambiguous. But that's not what the cited FAA regs say.

The phrase "if the certificate holder determines" unambiguously grants discretion to the carriers in this area. It's much more likely that the GA chose to exercise discretion than it is that the GA and a plane full of FAs all recklessly ignored a United and/or FAA policy for a family they don't even know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.