Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 747 Farewell & Remembrances Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 747 Farewell & Remembrances Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Starting my 773 Hello and 747 Farewell trip tomorrow with a buddy; we are meeting in SFO tonight then taking the 773 SFO>NRT, 738 NRT>ICN tomorrow. Two nights in Seoul then home on Sunday ICN>SFO in the UD. Definitely was planning to politely ask for a cockpit viewing.

Any thoughts on if it is at all possible to get a "surprise and delight" upgrade to First?

Cheers
WOW! You and I are doing the exact opposite! I fly 747 ICN-SFO (then to AUS) then on Monday I fly SFO-NRT-ICN (wanted to catch one of the last 5th Freedom flights, as well as gate 33 sushi). Consequently it is my last 747 flight and my first UA 77W flight!

As far as the upgrade, ICN is a somewhat easy route to upgrade, my waitlisted upgrade to first cleared two days ago. I felt it was a fitting salute to my final 747 flight.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fumje
... the etiquette I've found to work well is to ask the FA if s/he can ask the cockpit ...
I had thought about that too but the FAs seemed more busy than the pilots. I asked for PJ's when she took my meal order and she couldnt even remember that. It's the same as when I ask the FA about CH9. Half the time I never hear back.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eng3
I had thought about that too but the FAs seemed more busy than the pilots. I asked for PJ's when she took my meal order and she couldnt even remember that. It's the same as when I ask the FA about CH9. Half the time I never hear back.
Cognitive load

David
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Looks like there will be some 747-themed amenity kit tins (and trading cards!) coming our way...

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...hoo&yptr=yahoo

Wonder if they will be sturdier than the Olympic ones
Attached Images  
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by warrenw
WOW! You and I are doing the exact opposite! I fly 747 ICN-SFO (then to AUS) then on Monday I fly SFO-NRT-ICN (wanted to catch one of the last 5th Freedom flights, as well as gate 33 sushi). Consequently it is my last 747 flight and my first UA 77W flight!

As far as the upgrade, ICN is a somewhat easy route to upgrade, my waitlisted upgrade to first cleared two days ago. I felt it was a fitting salute to my final 747 flight.
At NRT now. The 773 was a nice ride. Narrow aisles but very spacious seats. Enjoy your trip
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I had my final 747 trip earlier this week to ICN. Well, I'm in ICN now waiting for my flight to TPE on Scoot . Guess what I see at the gate next door:

Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Silver
Just flew my most likely last UA 747 flight from ICN to SFO yesterday.

Mostly uneventful, but before we pushed from the gate, the captain mentioned engine 3 wasn't "working correctly" and they had to restart the engine. Not sure if this is a common thing at the gate but maybe she is ready to retire.

I might be going to ICN again in early Nov, but that will be on 787-9 instead. While I like 747 I also welcome 787-9 on this route.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by maverickar15
Just flew my most likely last UA 747 flight from ICN to SFO yesterday.

Mostly uneventful, but before we pushed from the gate, the captain mentioned engine 3 wasn't "working correctly" and they had to restart the engine. Not sure if this is a common thing at the gate but maybe she is ready to retire.

I might be going to ICN again in early Nov, but that will be on 787-9 instead. While I like 747 I also welcome 787-9 on this route.
We were on the same flight! I visited the cockpit before we pushed back and the crew was just so nice.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
last minute trip to FRA next week gets me one more trip in the UD.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by jasonp622
last minute trip to FRA next week gets me one more trip in the UD.
Seems like these birds are struggling in their waning days. UA 900/901 cxld yesterday and today and ICN-SFO delayed 4-5 hours. Here's to hoping for an uneventful SFO-FRA tonight...
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Seems like these birds are struggling in their waning days. UA 900/901 cxld yesterday and today and ICN-SFO delayed 4-5 hours. Here's to hoping for an uneventful SFO-FRA tonight...
Yeah I noticed the massive delay SFO-ICN yesterday.

I'm really hoping my ICN flight goes off OK on Monday cuz a delay of 2+ hours would cause me a misconnect to BKK (Where I'm only on the ground for a day)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
It all started with a bird strike that led to a cascade of operational challenges. It wasn't a problem with the 747 fleet itself.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Landed at IAD at 5pm 10/18 and saw the fantastic 747!
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ajssv1J5XPIovq4r_dJ7LY1phAHDLA
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Anyone know why Sat 21st ICN-SFO departure is delayed almost a full day?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by climmy
Anyone know why Sat 21st ICN-SFO departure is delayed almost a full day?
"Operational difficulties"

Sounds like a crew availability and/or crew rest issue to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.