Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 747 Farewell & Remembrances Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 747 Farewell & Remembrances Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by tuolumne

The festivities onboard the recent ORD-SFO were a demonstration of how those with good attitudes can make their own party.

And it was a party (at least my idea of one) onboard. I know no less than 3 pax onboard that flight. It doesn't sound like you made it or you'd be aware of that.
I was actually aware of it, but since i know for sure it wasn‘t the last flight, so even i saw the price is very affordable, i didn‘t bother to make a purchase wasting my time or money, and I had made a wise decision as from all the reports of all sources, there are nothing worth to be on at all. Perhaps you should really see what a real party is about, e.g. The charter UA 787 for SMD, last 744 for BR last month, last 744 for CX last year, or even last PMUA 737 almost 10 years ago, now those flights were real party flights, you dont even need to create your own party
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Wife used GPU to upgrade from C to F on tonight's SFO - FRA and got 3H (Finally actually got to use one on a international flight). I told her not to get too excited, my experience on INC-SFO last week in the same seat was a little bit of a let down but it was my farewell to the 747 non the less.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I've always wanted to see what seat 1A/K was about. It sounds like those who were on the ORD-SFO special leg had no problem letting people come up and see the seats, I hope I get that chance on SFO-HNL.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by BThumme
I've always wanted to see what seat 1A/K was about. It sounds like those who were on the ORD-SFO special leg had no problem letting people come up and see the seats, I hope I get that chance on SFO-HNL.
It's nice but nicer on the ground. It's easier to notice the "facing forward" nature of the seat.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by warrenw
It's nice but nicer on the ground. It's easier to notice the "facing forward" nature of the seat.
The best when sitting in 1A or 1K is take off and landing - you can see out the front of the windows!

JK-SFO
UA_Flyer and tuolumne like this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I was actually aware of it, but since i know for sure it wasn‘t the last flight, so even i saw the price is very affordable, i didn‘t bother to make a purchase wasting my time or money, and I had made a wise decision as from all the reports of all sources, there are nothing worth to be on at all. Perhaps you should really see what a real party is about, e.g. The charter UA 787 for SMD, last 744 for BR last month, last 744 for CX last year, or even last PMUA 737 almost 10 years ago, now those flights were real party flights, you dont even need to create your own party
I can't compare what happened on the ORD-SFO flight to your own experiences (which sound awesome, by the way), but I have to disagree that the mood onbord wasn't a celebratory one. I just categorically disagree. I would have killed to be on that flight, knowing what I know now. My info comes from 1 crewember and 2 pax who are all friends. They all had the time of their lives.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by JK-SFO
The best when sitting in 1A or 1K is take off and landing - you can see out the front of the windows!

JK-SFO
I will be looking forward to this on my farewell flight Fri. I'm going to try and put a Samsung Gear 360 camera up to the window to record a video. Hopefully it will be as cool as people say.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
It is cool. Just did the same thing SFO-LHR last week (but with BB Priv, yes I am one of the last).

Returning tomorrow but didn't get 1A or 1K but will be my last flight on UA 747.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I will be looking forward to this on my farewell flight Fri. I'm going to try and put a Samsung Gear 360 camera up to the window to record a video. Hopefully it will be as cool as people say.
It's an awesome seat, but IMO the view "out front" is a bit overhyped. The angle is nothing like the cockpit; maybe 30 degrees from a normal window seat.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I thought I was done flying 747 forever on UA but I had a last minute business trip to ICN from SFO that just came up.

My UA SFO>ICN flight is one week before they replace the 747 with 787. Would have been memorable thing if I could have lined it up with the last flight on Oct 28th.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by findark
It's an awesome seat, but IMO the view "out front" is a bit overhyped. The angle is nothing like the cockpit; maybe 30 degrees from a normal window seat.
https://imgur.com/GjgcEr7

So maybe you can't see it quite with your own eyes but you can with a camera!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by warrenw
https://imgur.com/GjgcEr7

So maybe you can't see it quite with your own eyes but you can with a camera!
That's pretty good! I tried to get some shots like that when I flew in 1A this month but they didn't come out that nice!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Just noticed the final 747 Frankfurt flight (FRA-SFO) landed today just a few hours ago.

End of an era on that one too. Was lucky enough to be at the pointy end a few times on the route.

Presumably, the 777 return crew were on the last 747 outbound SFO-FRA.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
747 remains on one SFO-FRA frequency until late October.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by climmy
Just noticed the final 747 Frankfurt flight (FRA-SFO) landed today just a few hours ago.

End of an era on that one too. Was lucky enough to be at the pointy end a few times on the route.

Presumably, the 777 return crew were on the last 747 outbound SFO-FRA.
Had some great memories made onboard UA58/59 and U926/927, this past summer in particular. Rode on the first of the 2017 summer FRA-SFO additional frequency UA927 and thought that was special (the load was 1/3rd of the plane).

Truly the end of an era for United, and LH, FRA ops. The LH GAs I know who work these flights and discharge these beauties on a daily basis are as nostalgic as I am about the UA 744s being retired. They feel a personal attachment that mirrors of that of UA’s own employees. My favorite memory is LH staff rooting for UA during the dark days of bankruptcy. And remember Tilton wanting LH Group to purchase a substantial portion of UAL? I truly feel like LH staff are family, and that feeling pre-dated, and continues after, A++.

Edit: looks like the later UA926/926 ops remain 744.

Here’s UA927 departing FRA on that first day of summer operation, 4/1. Caught a magnificent rainbow halo which the video really doesn’t do justice to. Turned on Rhapshody on the headphones and enjoyed one of those special moments you’ll bookmark for the rest of your life.

Last edited by tuolumne; Oct 5, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.