Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 747 Farewell & Remembrances Master Thread

United 747 Farewell & Remembrances Master Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I see United will be selling 747 shirts...I'm kind of tempted to pick one up. https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unit...&dept_id=17000
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:31 am

thought you guys might like a couple behind the scenes shots from the air-to-air shoots

Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by BThumme
I see United will be selling 747 shirts...I'm kind of tempted to pick one up. https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unit...&dept_id=17000
I'm a dork - I got one...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Booked SFO>NRT>ICN>SFO to try out the 773 for the first time, 5th freedom for first and last time, and 747 for the last time. R space open on all legs! Weekend before it retires. Only sad thing was the UD only had one seat left (I took the last one, friend is down below, hoping one more opens up between now and then)
Keep checking the seat map. Something is bound to open up, at least an aisle seat. On my last trip, I really wanted a window seat but up to boarding, nothing opened up. When I finally got to my seat, a guy in a window seat asked if I could switch so he could sit next to his wife. So you never know.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by warrenw
Maybe I'm in the minority but I hated the last tulip livery. It looked so... dated especially compared to the current livery (ex-CO)
The recent "negative space" implementations on club decor and napkins etc is pretty nice

the actual logo - requiring a blue box to house it - dreadful. The font on the plane is bad too. It was a ham handed rush job at the merger inception. For about a week they were going to use the old CO lettering ick. Even Conic Sans is an upgrade to that

the united 747s are properly remembered as flying for United. Which is the tulip.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I'd get one if it looked cooler. Like with the vintage design or at least a tulip
Like this on a shirt
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, American AAdvantage, Hilton Honors, SPG
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
I'll see you on board if you stay on the ICN flight. And if ICN still exists by the end of next month.

Right. Agents aren't allowed to waitlist a flight that is sold out. Although when there is a will there is a way...
LOL, I think ICN will be okay

Hopefully UA will do something special and memorable for this ICN-SFO flight since it will be UA's last international 747 flight and the last regularly scheduled UA 747 flight (not including one off UA#747 of course). See you on board!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by twindocstravel
LOL, I think ICN will be okay

Hopefully UA will do something special and memorable for this ICN-SFO flight since it will be UA's last international 747 flight and the last regularly scheduled UA 747 flight (not including one off UA#747 of course). See you on board!
They better!! Did you get a call from UA about being on the flight from ICN? Or have others? I got a VM just today basically saying "we see you're on this flight that was previously the last 747 flight, but we want to let you know the last flight is ACTUALLY on Nov 7 from SFO to HNL." Did not offer to -say- PUT me on that flight to HNL or any other "solution" - so not really sure what the point was. Just surprised about the pro-active nature of the call, unusual for UA haha. Like if they wanted to be smart about this, they should have called me BEFORE the public announcement so they could re-book or offer to get me on the HNL flight BEFORE it sold out...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, American AAdvantage, Hilton Honors, SPG
They better!! Did you get a call from UA about being on the flight from ICN? Or have others? I got a VM just today basically saying "we see you're on this flight that was previously the last 747 flight, but we want to let you know the last flight is ACTUALLY on Nov 7 from SFO to HNL." Did not offer to -say- PUT me on that flight to HNL or any other "solution" - so not really sure what the point was. Just surprised about the pro-active nature of the call, unusual for UA haha. Like if they wanted to be smart about this, they should have called me BEFORE the public announcement so they could re-book or offer to get me on the HNL flight BEFORE it sold out...
Wow! I didn't get an email or a VM message . Maybe they are slowly working their way down the list . I'm just a measly Platinum so I'm guessing they reserved that courtesy for 1K and GS.

I guess I sadly may have given UA too much credit on this one (and I usually am a UA cheerleader). I just assumed that it never occurred to them that lots of folks booked an otherwise un-needed trip to South Korea just to be on the last 747 flight. The fact that they clearly knew this and that they only thought enough to call (some) people is a bit annoying. Though giving the timing of the calls, they really only served to pour salt in the wound anyway. I have to tell you, the fact that they are reaching out to ICN-SFO flyers to warn them makes me wayyyyy less hopeful that they will do much of anything special for that flight . Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited by twindocstravel; Sep 21, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I'm surprised any of you actually thought ICN-SFO would be the final 747 flight. UA had said they would have a proper sendoff to the 747 so it was obvious to me that they would be doing something special. Moreover, that last ICN-SFO had been scheduled for quite a while; if that was intended to be the final 747 flight UA would have announced that a while ago. If you booked ICN-SFO just enjoy it as the last regularly scheduled UA 747 flight plus the last international flight on the bird. Have a good time and don't feel like you were misled--you weren't, you jumped the gun since UA never said that was the end so just enjoy the flight and trip. Plus you won't get Polaris service on SFO-HNL anyway.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
and the winged letter T.
Hated that as well. Did not have displeasure of flying Ted, but began my switch from CO to UA early enough to read too many Ted stories.

But mostly it was just unnecessary and ugly.

Originally Posted by warrenw
Maybe I'm in the minority but I hated the last tulip livery.
Thanks, glad I'm not alone.

Originally Posted by halls120
The Tulip will always be iconic, and hopefully someday UA will come to its senses and restore it.
I'm with you on that one ^

Originally Posted by runner450
thought you guys might like a couple behind the scenes shots from the air-to-air shoots
Actually, today has been a really good day for me.

That said, thanks, made it even BETTER ^

And would not complain if there were more posted.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I'm surprised any of you actually thought ICN-SFO would be the final 747 flight. UA had said they would have a proper sendoff to the 747 so it was obvious to me that they would be doing something special. Moreover, that last ICN-SFO had been scheduled for quite a while; if that was intended to be the final 747 flight UA would have announced that a while ago. If you booked ICN-SFO just enjoy it as the last regularly scheduled UA 747 flight plus the last international flight on the bird. Have a good time and don't feel like you were misled--you weren't, you jumped the gun since UA never said that was the end so just enjoy the flight and trip. Plus you won't get Polaris service on SFO-HNL anyway.
The general concern here is, UA failed the communications test, big time. Those of us who love aviation and know the history of this airline and the 747 made a decision based on the best information available. All the major blogs predicted ICN-SFO was it. The BOB menu cover in the seat back this month clearly states the flights end in October. I, and apparently many others reached out to UA for information with no results. If there was any question about customer interest, the impromptu ORD-SFO trip last month should have been a heads up. So, if we "jumped the gun," I plead guilty. I do however think this shows a major blind spot in UA corporate communications and customer relations.

I am on the flight and haven't received any call. Was it an actual personal call that went to voicemail or just a robo message?

I think they're starting to get some well deserved heat from those who bought "the last" flight. I wrote to the Facebook team the other day and got a ridiculous response asserting both would be the final flights. Gee, after all these years I never knew the last of anything could happen twice.

Since there has been no special announcement about ICN, I doubt there will be anything special other than the gate sendoff they've been doing at other former destinations.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 22, 2017 at 12:21 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Me too. The signs all pointed away from ICN-SFO as being their last ever 747 flight. UA said they would have a special sendoff for the 747, so the expectation should have been exactly what we're seeing. UA's process in this really couldn't be much better. ICN-SFO is staying on schedule as the last scheduled international flight (or "normal" 747 flight). The final flight has been announced well in advance, and now they can work backward with other special flights. Just imagine if special flights were loaded but no one knew the true last one. The biggest issue now is that there can only be one final flight, and there's far more demand than there are seats for it. Nothing UA can do about that. I'll be one of the losers, but that's just the way it is.

And you what's sad? UA is cooking up something big, and they're getting heat for it. Maybe better to do nothing like DL.

Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
All the major blogs predicted ICN-SFO was it.
I think that tells us how little we can trust the bloggers.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
As another data point, just got a call from United (1-800-864-8331) (I'm 1K) informing me that 892 wouldn't be the last flight and they would offer me a full refund. I'm actually on a price lock ICN-SFO-ORD so haven't actually made the booking and not out anything yet other then the $9 fare lock. So they are doing this, and for those of you who feel duped by UA, you have the option to get your money back.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:25 am

I too received a call from UA yesterday about being booked on ICN-SFO on Oct 29. I have Silver status...the person who called said they are calling all Silver and higher status Premier members and will not be proactively contacting passengers that do not have any status. I was also provided a dedicated telephone number that UA has set up specifically to deal with ICN-SFO on Oct 29 concerns.

My flight was booked as part of an all-Boeing 747 around the world trip I've always wanted to do (going SFO-FRA-ICN-SFO), so I've decided to keep it. Something about the SFO-HNL flight feels very gimmicky to me and I think I'd rather do a "real" flight like ICN-SFO than the zoo the SFO-HNL will be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.