Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 747 Farewell & Remembrances Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 747 Farewell & Remembrances Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Same here as a SFO based flyer. I can't even begin to count the times I have been on some version of the 747 from here. HNL,ORD,DEN,IAD,LAX,FRA,NRT,HKG (old and new)SIN,JFK - probably more. I have never experienced a smoother ride in the sky. I even will miss the little "wobble" it does right after take off. Never did figure out what it was. Cheers pretty lady!^
that 3-4 seconds of slight airframe jitter right after wheels come off runway on takeoff is the best part!!! And the only benefit of sitting in Y! I always forced my kids to wake up for takeoff. They got to fly the 747 again and again!

watching the plastic center stack of bag bins sway left and right on takeoff on a 789 just isn't the same.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
that 3-4 seconds of slight airframe jitter right after wheels come off runway on takeoff is the best part!!! And the only benefit of sitting in Y! I always forced my kids to wake up for takeoff. They got to fly the 747 again and again!

watching the plastic center stack of bag bins sway left and right on takeoff on a 789 just isn't the same.
Thanks for sharing! I never paid attention of the jitter/wobble in my 25 years of flying United 747. I will be flying the Queen this Thursday and I will pay attention to it. Not sure if sitting in upper deck may impact the feel.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Hyatt Discoverist(?), Marriott/SPG Gold
I have to admit (I might be *that guy*) that I actually enjoy seeing the United 747s more on the outside than sitting in one of them these days. It's a pretty plane, but the interiors are a bit tired. I was amused to see some of the old lighted signage on the UD of my last FRA-SFO flight.

I agree with some that the Rising Blue livery was peak United 747. I miss it every time I see the existing CO-derived paint. Don't get me wrong, though -- I don't dislike the existing livery. I just like Rising Blue more.

In reading this thread, I too feel lucky that I have had a number of experiences in a 747 with multiple of airlines. My first experience in a 747 was actually with CI (LAX-HNL-HND-TPE), though since I was a child, I'm not sure if it was a 747-100 or 747SP.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM

Can this be experienced on the UD? We are flying to FRA in 13 A and B on Friday!!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I'll be taking my final 747 UD flight the morning from LHR to SFO (eventhough I live on the east coast). I'll have to pay attention. I know there is usually some buffeting type feeling on any plane, then there is ofcourse the landing gears coming up. It certainly is a unique feeling on the UD. You don't really hear the engines as much. The vibrations feel a bit "dampened"/"disconnected". I can recall all my landings were extremely smooth.

I feel like I should be doing something special on this final flight. Not sure what. Since its a day flight I'll probably be awake for most of it. Hope they at least turn on Ch9.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
EX-CO 747s

mikeyf likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mmack
Can this be experienced on the UD? We are flying to FRA in 13 A and B on Friday!!
sadly I never experienced UD. So I cannot say

My only C experiences were downstairs. It (the airframe jitter at takeoff) is much more noticeable around row 45 (45C being my poor man's biz class seat of choice) than up front. Upstairs hopefully you get to feel it!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
sadly I never experienced UD. So I cannot say

My only C experiences were downstairs. It (the airframe jitter at takeoff) is much more noticeable around row 45 (45C being my poor man's biz class seat of choice) than up front. Upstairs hopefully you get to feel it!
I've felt this on the upper deck before!

JK-SFO
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
That's a rushed repainting of the PeoplExpress livery, right? I flew one of PE's 747s from EWR to OAK with my parents and my brother in 1984. Which means I can also add "flying out of EWR's North Terminal" to my list of dubious aviation achievements.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I have an inkling of suscipion that the flying CO 747 is CGI.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I have great memories of the UA744s. I used to do several DEN-ORD-FRA trips every year and loved flight 944 on the 744. The most memorable trip was clearly the 744 from SFO-AKL-MEL and SYD-SFO in F back in 2001. I flew one time in F ORD-FRA with the old F seats (when they were rolling out the original F suite and hadn't finished all the planes yet). I still love the UD on the 744.

I really miss the days when you could get a 744 on DEN-SFO or DEN-ORD.

I also had the great experience of an LH744 with the bed/seat combo on the UD. That was quite a flight.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
So is there any type of news or rumors what the 747s retirement will be? Or is just going to be a (seemingly random) ICN-SFO leg October 29th?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by BThumme
So is there any type of news or rumors what the 747s retirement will be? Or is just going to be a (seemingly random) ICN-SFO leg October 29th?
I also read online that UA will be offering another domestic 744 flight before end of 2017.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by BThumme
There was the statement made by Kirby (United President) back in Jan:
He also promised workers that the company will give the 747 an appropriate send-off.

“(O)f course, we’ll honor the 747 with an unforgettable retirement celebration,” Kirby wrote in the memo, adding “we’ll keep you posted with more details on her final flight in the months ahead.”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...2017/96448866/

I hope that indicates some type of tour-of -the-hubs trip for the 747 as a farewell, with plenty of notice to buy tickets and say goodbye to the Queen.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:39 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
Growing up in Hawaii, I was fortunate to have many rides on the 747. I've flown on every model of 747 including the SP. In fact, the 747-SP was my first experience with International First Class.

My father and I were returning from the World Expo in Australia and were flying from SYD-HNL and we had an aircraft swap from an -200 to an -SP and as a Premier member, we got the complimentary upgrade. Needless to say, that started my obsession with flying up -front (or up-top on the 747). Here is a link to the MENU from that flight in 1988.
AZjohns likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.