Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA won't/can't put GSA # on tickets-- Help please

Old Aug 11, 17, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Hello all:

We have been having a problem with UA. My DH has top level security clearance with the D of D and he also has a Global Security. I have twice had to call UA to make sure the GS # is on his passenger profile. I think someone has finally gotten it to stick to his record. However, here is the problem: because his tickets are usually purchased by other groups and I have not given them his GS # the first ticket issued does not show his GS #--THUS he can't use his GS privileges when going through airport security. He has been told several times "if the number is not on your ticket you cannot use the GS privilege". WTH is that all about? Anyway, to make matters worse I have called UA multiple times hooked up with live agents in the Phillipines and in FL. They both have promised me they would re-issue the ticket and email to me with the GS # on the ticket. I have done this for the last three trips and all three trips, I have asked several times to have the # put on his tickets. Each time, the agent has told me "not to worry, I am re-sending the correct ticket--it will show up with 20 minutes" or in the last instance "within 24 hours". The agents are clearly lying to me. Why won't UA re-issue the corrected ticket with the GS # on it?
What can I do to make this happen? Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 11, 17, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Wouldn't this go into the Known Traveler Number field? You can edit that in his profile on United.com and also do it directly in the reservation. No need to call to do this.

The help on United.com says this for the Known Traveler field:

If you are a member of a U.S. Department of Homeland Security Trusted Traveler program (TSA Pre✓®application program, Global Entry, NEXUS or SENTRI) or are an eligible member of the Department of Defense, please provide your Known Traveler Number, PASS ID or DoD ID number.
Old Aug 11, 17, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by alpenrose View Post
Hello all:

We have been having a problem with UA. My DH has top level security clearance with the D of D and he also has a Global Security. I have twice had to call UA to make sure the GS # is on his passenger profile. I think someone has finally gotten it to stick to his record. However, here is the problem: because his tickets are usually purchased by other groups and I have not given them his GS # the first ticket issued does not show his GS #--THUS he can't use his GS privileges when going through airport security. He has been told several times "if the number is not on your ticket you cannot use the GS privilege". WTH is that all about? Anyway, to make matters worse I have called UA multiple times hooked up with live agents in the Phillipines and in FL. They both have promised me they would re-issue the ticket and email to me with the GS # on the ticket. I have done this for the last three trips and all three trips, I have asked several times to have the # put on his tickets. Each time, the agent has told me "not to worry, I am re-sending the correct ticket--it will show up with 20 minutes" or in the last instance "within 24 hours". The agents are clearly lying to me. Why won't UA re-issue the corrected ticket with the GS # on it?
I've read this twice and don't really understand. Can you give me the cliff notes version!?

Is it that his UA FF number and GS status aren't showing up in the record?
Old Aug 11, 17, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
I've read this twice and don't really understand. Can you give me the cliff notes version!?

Is it that his UA FF number and GS status aren't showing up in the record?
They seem to be talking about a DoD number for getting through security faster and not a Global Services number.
Old Aug 11, 17, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
@tods27 is correct. Put it in the KTN.
Also, advertising or suggesting someone has 'top-level' clearance? =/ I hope you're not saying that information on the phone with UA agents in the Philippines and FL.
Old Aug 11, 17, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
What are you calling "Global Security"? Global Entry? Global Services?

What does a security clearance have to do with any of this?
Old Aug 11, 17, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
What are you calling "Global Security"? Global Entry? Global Services?
Aren't they the same thing?
Old Aug 11, 17, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Hello all:

First off, your husband's security clearance with the DoD is irrelevant to the airlines, to Customs and Immigration (worldwide), and to airport security screening (worldwide).

Second, I'm pretty sure you actually mean that he has "Global Entry", not Global Security (which is not really a thing with United). As others have posted just use the UA website to put the details into the known traveler field. So long as you enter them a few days before his trip he should be good to go.

Originally Posted by tods27 View Post
They seem to be talking about a DoD number for getting through security faster and not a Global Services number.
There is no such "DoD number". DoD employees can enter their unique Common Access Card number (it's on the back of the card) in the known traveler field to get TSA PreCheck. However, DoD employees do not get Global Entry this way (they need to apply and pay for GE).

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/news.cfm?ID=18

Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
@tods27 is correct. Put it in the KTN.
Also, advertising or suggesting someone has 'top-level' clearance? =/ I hope you're not saying that information on the phone with UA agents in the Philippines and FL.
It's not particularly consequential if airline reservations agents know the security clearance levels of the airline's pax.

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
What does a security clearance have to do with any of this?
Nothing.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Aren't they the same thing?
Global Entry is for Immigration into the U.S. Global Services is a status in UA's FF program, and Global Security is not actually a thing in the context of the OP.
Old Aug 11, 17, 2:53 pm

Hello all:

I have to agree with other posters that going around stating the clearance level probably is not a good idea. I'm sure your DH or his security officer would have the same thoughts.

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer View Post

Global Entry is for Immigration into the U.S. Global Services is a status in UA's FF program, and Global Security is not actually a thing in the context of the OP.
It's not always clear over the internet, but I think the other post was sarcasm
Old Aug 11, 17, 2:55 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I believe employees of "Universal Exports" of London are granted Global Security, it goes hand in hand with their license to kill, and like the OP's colleague, gives them DoD top level clearance

Last edited by fastair; Aug 11, 17 at 6:51 pm
Old Aug 11, 17, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eeflyer View Post
I have to agree with other posters that going around stating the clearance level probably is not a good idea. I'm sure your DH or his security officer would have the same thoughts.

It's not always clear over the internet, but I think the other post was sarcasm
I got that Probably my snark wasn't that clear either
Old Aug 11, 17, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
If you're talking about using your EDIPI to get TSApre, I believe you have to first give DEERS permission to enroll it into the system. I believe you go on a DHRA website first to do so. Then, you can get free TSApre.

You can also get TSApre by having Global Entry. You input the KTN into your MileagePlus profile. May also want to give your KTN to your CTO.
Old Aug 11, 17, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I am tired of waiting for UA to give me Global Services. Can anyone help? They won't put it on my tickets!!!

<sorry- couldn't resist> ;-)
Old Aug 11, 17, 4:58 pm

This must certainly mean Global Entry. If tickets are being booked by a third party travel agent or department it is very possible that somehow the known traveler number associated with GE is not on the reservation. His FF number may also not be there. The traveler should go to his UA account and bring up My Trips and verify that everything is there and enter it if it is not. Calling UA about this seems silly. Normally if the known traveler number is in the account profile it will be on all the reservations, but I doubt that is linked if the FF number is not entered either when the reservation is made.

Or, maybe this passenger should investigate this activity C-RAPIDS as described down in this document: http://comptroller.defense.gov/Porta.../DHRA_OP-5.pdf It looks like there is a way to get TSApre as result of employment.

There is no way this has anything to do with US Government security clearances. I agree talking about what kind of security clearances anyone in particular actually holds is inappropriate and may even have consequences.

Lastly it is up to the traveler and ticket holder to resolve all this, not a family member trying to do things for them.

Last edited by CALlegacy; Aug 11, 17 at 5:24 pm
Old Aug 11, 17, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...We have been having a problem with UA....
From your post, there may be a communication problem. If it's not clear to us what you're talking about, it's probably not clear to UA. Maybe the DH can post the problem? You seem to be mixing status and airport security and non-relevant DoD security into one confusing mash-up.

Global Services- an invitation-only United status level
GS # - the frequent flyer number associated with the above.
TSA Pre - expedited airport security inspection
Global Security or GS # (here "S" means "Security") - means nothing
KTN - Known Traveler # - associated with those who have TSA Pre
DoD top-level clearance - irrelevant
Global Entry - another term that you might actually mean that relates to expedited security and customs/immigration procedures

Search this Thread
Search Engine: