Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"The Points Guy" takes the mickey out of United & Polaris

"The Points Guy" takes the mickey out of United & Polaris

Reply

Old Aug 10, 17, 12:35 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
and if you don't? Or are a late add to the list or get put on that flight due to irrops? Just asking not crirltiquing.
Someone else will have to answer because I flew them once(RT) last spring. It was because I got a great deal through AAvacations thanks to FT - Rt in business with 3 nights in a hotel in Barcelona or I could try United with miles and money roulette for the same # of $ (I have tons of miles so that part didn't matter). I decided to go for the sure thing. (There were other differences in benefits as well but I live in Denver and now am a mm +1K so for this year, I haven't looked elsewhere)
FlyfromDenver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 12:55 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 3,409
I've had some bad UA experiences in J and even F.

But a lie flat seat being worse than Y on another carrier? That's some serious clickbait.

There's no way you pick LH Y over UA J next time, all else being equal.
tuolumne and Wooglin like this.
ctownflyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 1:06 pm
  #108  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Location independent
Programs: AA EP, IHG Platinum
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
I've had some bad UA experiences in J and even F.

But a lie flat seat being worse than Y on another carrier? That's some serious clickbait.

There's no way you pick LH Y over UA J next time, all else being equal.
It's hardly clickbait when it's more than 2,000 words into the article and not mentioned in any TPG social posts. The only people that are mentioning it outside the article are here on FlyerTalk.

And, by the way, thanks for all of the views coming from FlyerTalk!

And yes. The statement isn't hyperbole. My experience on this flight was worse that what I've had on JAL Y, CX Y or LH Y. So, yes, I would've rather flown those products again than have had this experience in UA J.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
and if you don't? Or are a late add to the list or get put on that flight due to irrops? Just asking not crirltiquing.
You get the same choices on-board. Ordering ahead allows the airline to ensure that you get what you want while being able to stock less meals.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 17 at 12:36 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
FlyerJT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 1:14 pm
  #109  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: WN AL+/CP, IHG AMB/Plat, HH/Mar Gold, UA Dirt
Posts: 44,441
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
I've had some bad UA experiences in J and even F.

But a lie flat seat being worse than Y on another carrier? That's some serious clickbait.

There's no way you pick LH Y over UA J next time, all else being equal.
suppose the leg rest is bad. Keep it stowed and have 60" pitch

but no, 31" is better ;rolleyes:
Wooglin likes this.
uastarflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 1:19 pm
  #110  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: UA, AA, Skywards, Qantas
Posts: 33
I thought that got canceled because the gov't contract went to Jet Blue by way of Emirates.
The following is what UAL announced to it's employees:

Even though we successfully operated the IAD-DXB route for the past seven years, the entry of subsidized carriers such as Emirates Airline (EK) and Etihad Airways (EY) into the Washington, D.C., market has created an imbalance between supply and demand to the United Arab Emirates (UAE). As they’ve added subsidized capacity, our IAD-DXB route has become less profitable.
They blamed subsidies. The fact is they weren't competitive in either hard or soft product and once Emirates et. al. started service people choose the better airline. It's like going from here to Miami. I always take AA because UAL not only offered an inferior product they quit trying. I have found that whenever I go from here to another airline's hub you use the other airline. I used to go out of my way to take UAL but that kind of loyalty went by the boards once they started devaluing their FFP.

Also to be clear I wouldn't choose to go y over c all things being equal. But saving thousands of dollars on what I know will be a good coach flight v. a poor or iffy business experience?

In a heartbeat.
FlyerJT and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by cairns; Aug 10, 17 at 1:46 pm
cairns is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 1:21 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: IAH
Programs: SPG Plat, *G, BA Gold
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
I've had some bad UA experiences in J and even F.

But a lie flat seat being worse than Y on another carrier? That's some serious clickbait.

There's no way you pick LH Y over UA J next time, all else being equal.
From the article:
This was by far the worst business-class flight I’ve experienced. I can easily think of a few economy products that I would’ve rather flown instead: Japan Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Lufthansa come easily to mind. While the easy rebuttal is that United’s business-class seats are lie-flat, my broken leg rest and the crew’s hesitance to allow me to change seats eliminated that advantage. Plus. I’d rather have the economy meals from any of those three airlines than the ones I was served on this flight. The in-flight entertainment systems and power plugs worked well and the service was much more personal and responsive on each of those airlines in economy than on this flight in United’s business class
He is comparing that particular business class flight, not the hard products with "all else being equal" and "5 years in the future when all Polaris are rolled out". We can read such PR in Hemispheres magazine, that's not why people read blogs.

And I can totally see where is he coming from. I just landed with UA 160 from Munich. I had to escalate 3 times for my kid to be given meal - he is two with a fully paid seat. Flight attendants were impersonal, doing rolleyes and I had to grab the food from the cart, since they can't be bothered to lean in. Food was way below average.
If you have a Stockholm syndrome from flying legacy US airlines, I feel sorry for you, but I can totally see going out of my way to fly Y in LH next time.
danielSuper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 1:27 pm
  #112  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Programs: United Premier Silver, United Club
Posts: 530
It's amazing to see the lengths that people go to discredit TPG. While some of his opinions may be incorrect, there are a lot of things that he did get correct as well. Focusing on what he got wrong to the point that it invalidates the whole review does't change the fact that what he did get right he did get right, such as customer service, the soft product,etc. (Sounds like politics and the Internet these days).

United did not exactly help hen they rebranded everything Polaris, which may lead to confusion among those expecting to have the new hard product. Granted someone like him should have known, but still.
quantumslip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 1:32 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SF
Programs: UA1K .6MM
Posts: 2,232
Originally Posted by FlyerJT View Post
It's hardly clickbait when it's more than 2,000 words into the article and not mentioned in any TPG social posts. The only people that are mentioning it outside the article are here on FlyerTalk.

And, by the way, thanks for all of the views coming from FlyerTalk!

And yes. The statement isn't hyperbole. My experience on this flight was worse that what I've had on JAL Y, CX Y or LH Y. So, yes, I would've rather flown those products again than have had this experience in UA J.
I sense a lot of combativeness, condescension and passive-aggressiveness coming from your posts. It's not a good look and makes it appear as though you're threatened.
Grog and JVPhoto like this.
tuolumne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 1:42 pm
  #114  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Silver, World of Hyatt, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold
Posts: 133
I've flown to Europe in coach using both UA and LH, but have also flown Polaris on UA. If comparing the two products (coach), I agree that LH is on another level.

However, to state that flying coach on LH is a better offering than UA's Polaris is simply hyperbole and biased.
Grog and tuolumne like this.
Manospeed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 2:12 pm
  #115  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: CoUniHound 1K, AA EXP 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat. SPG Plat
Posts: 957
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
Ah, but I indeed stated that the truths were truths. You've not truly yielded the existence of such in this case. So, we are not on the same plane (no pun intended).
But you clearly implied that the non-truth contained within the truths rendered the truths unbelievable, i.e., non-truths. This is not true.
Catbert10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 2:25 pm
  #116  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: STL
Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,227
Originally Posted by cairns View Post
They blamed subsidies. The fact is they weren't competitive in either hard or soft product and once Emirates et. al. started service people choose the better airline
I'd venture to say that this has been over exaggerated, and the "mass exodus" of travelers from UA to EK on the basis of EK having a superior soft/hard product should be taken with a grain of salt. For one thing EK was 10-abreast in Y vs UA's 9-abreast and most importantly, at least from the govt travel side, they wouldn't have switched travel over to EK because they were required to fly the contract carrier which was UA. It wasn't a high-yielding route for UA but having the contract in place definitely played some part in UA running it and notwithstanding the politics of the ME3, it was a pretty ridiculous action by GSA to award the route to JetBlue in the first place as they didn't even operate the route directly. The irony with that is the US govt essentially would be subsidizing EK as well.
qukslvr619 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 2:43 pm
  #117  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Eurozone
Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Posts: 2,790
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
But you clearly implied that the non-truth contained within the truths rendered the truths unbelievable, i.e., non-truths. This is not true.
I definitely did not, but I can't control what you infer.

Originally Posted by danielSuper View Post
If you have a Stockholm syndrome from flying legacy US airlines, I feel sorry for you, but I can totally see going out of my way to fly Y in LH next time.
I fly predominately European airlines, and predominately LH. If you actually see yourself going out of your way to fly Y in LH next time over flying ANY other airline's J product (including Norwegian Air Shuttle), why even discuss UA's J product (or anyone's J product) at all? It sounds as if Y on any carrier would fit your needs. So, go out of your way to fly LH in Y, but only if your other choices are Y, too. Cus Y on LH is comparable (except for its sub-par seat pitch) to other Y's, but usually for an extra $50-$100 per transoceanic leg and certainly nothing super-special to write home about unless you stay awake the whole time and watch IFE incessantly and wish to brag about all the international films you saw after recovering from your lack of in-air sleep. Without a doubt, it loses out to anyone's J.

Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
The bathroom one of my flights was not working. They spontaneously gave me a 100 euro voucher. That's about the worst I've experienced on LH/LX.
In Y? or J?

Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
The writer can only review what he experienced. Would you like him to report on what United claims the experience is? Or what you claim it to be? Why not just read United's marketing literature then?
IMO, a writer should use everything at their disposal--written, spoken, experienced. Otherwise how is one (including the writer) to know the brand-internal or -external benchmarks?

Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
As someone who flies a lot, I can attest that the review isn't that far off the "usual" experience. I've had ~20 flights on United flat seats this year. I can't remember a single time when the seat was both clean and fully functional.
And I've not contested a single statement from the review referring to those types of points.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 17 at 12:38 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Grog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 3:14 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Dude had an objectively crappy experience in UA's abysmal 8 across J cabin. Kind of a perfect storm of events we all know do sometimes happen on UA.

But yes, the "I'd rather fly Y" is just silly. TPG has been opting for quantity over quality lately. OMAT and Matthew are much better with the quality control
Precisely why I choose the current 5 across configuration and LOVE that solo middle seat if I'm travelling alone.
DutchessPDX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 3:14 pm
  #119  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 34,469
Originally Posted by leungy18 View Post
I don't understand why there are so many UA loyalists piling onto the TPG reviewer.

.......

The worst J experience isn't better than the best Y.
Yes, it is. Because no matter how bad the food is, no matter how surly the crew, even if the wine is swill, the J seat is bigger and more comfortable than any seat in the Y cabin.

I've been flying for over 30 years and I've yet to see the Y seat I would pick before a J seat. YMMV, of course.
iluv2fly, Grog and diburning like this.
halls120 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 3:20 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: UA, AA, Skywards, Qantas
Posts: 33
I'd venture to say that this has been over exaggerated, and the "mass exodus" of travelers from UA to EK on the basis of EK having a superior soft/hard product should be taken with a grain of salt. For one thing EK was 10-abreast in Y vs UA's 9-abreast and most importantly, at least from the govt travel side, they wouldn't have switched travel over to EK because they were required to fly the contract carrier which was UA. It wasn't a high-yielding route for UA but having the contract in place definitely played some part in UA running it and notwithstanding the politics of the ME3, it was a pretty ridiculous action by GSA to award the route to JetBlue in the first place as they didn't even operate the route directly. The irony with that is the US govt essentially would be subsidizing EK as well.
Oh the irony. You say UAL can't compete unless the government subsidizes them and they say they can't compete because Emirates is subsidized.

The fact is they lost to Jet Blue/Emirates fair and square. Just like they lose to AA going to DFW or MIA or DL going to ATL. All the big three whined and protested and all three lost.

And why the big worry about 9 v 10 in coach when it's 8 across in business- a fare which is ten times more expensive? I don't notice the squeeze- (a half inch?) but I like a lot of others noticed the food, service, stretch and lower airfare.

Have you been to IAD's United concourse? Compared it with Emirates/Virgin/QATAR? Well the airlines are just as different as the concourses are- one is new, clean and bright and the other is old, dark and stinky.
Enhancements likes this.
cairns is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread