Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"The Points Guy" takes the mickey out of United & Polaris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"The Points Guy" takes the mickey out of United & Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJT
Good morning Nagoya! I wonder if I've got any comments on my United flight review...

Oh gawd.

As I responded to you on Twitter, I'm 100% confident of this statement (even months after I originally wrote it). I've flown almost 200k in economy since the beginning of 2016. Here's my flight log I know what I'm saying when I'd rather have flown JL, CX, and yes, even LH economy rather than this product.

The flight was sold - and marketed all over - as "Polaris". I'm only using the terminology that UA is using for this flight.

LOLZ. 147k so far in 2017 and 135k in 2016. 45 airlines in the past decade.

Not sure of your LH experience, but I quite enjoyed mine. How about free champagne in Y on the upper deck of the A380?

I did ask for the purser. I was told she was unavailable until I finally got the chance to talk with her just before landing. She confirmed that chewing tobacco wasn't allowed, but by that time it was a moot point. I'd finally been cleared to move (to take someone else's seat).

Did you see the photos of the food I got? Are you a fan of undercooked, fatty meat or something? If so, no judgement

I've flown 200k miles in economy in the past ~1.5 years. When I say that I'd rather fly economy on certain carriers than experience this flight again, I mean it. This experience was much worse than any of the economy long-haul flights I've had on JAL (787 2-4-2 arrangement FTW), CX or my long-haul experience on LH.

Fair enough. I will accept this as a mistake of mine for not raving on about the potential of a new hard product coming to this route (eventually). That said, this is the experience that UA is selling on this route at this time.
So it looks like you got dispatched here to clean up your mess.

Nothing you said above makes this any better, and in fact, the defensive posture makes it worse.

You had a broken footrest, a meal you didn't like, had to have your IFE restarted, and didn't like your seat mate. Ok. And? Edit: It looks like you didn't get an Ursa bear.

Alas, United's 3-class IPTE C product is still a great way to fly - long beds, comfortable cushions, and a nice video screen size.

This stuff about preferring coach over it is ridiculous and a failed attempt at click bait. Like I said before, it's back firing before our eyes.

Last edited by tuolumne; Aug 10, 2017 at 7:56 am
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Honestly people. The TPG report on UA is spot on in substance.

1. UA's soft product is about the worst there is.

2. Their new hard product by the time it gets fully rolled out will be at best marginally competitive.
FlyerJT likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I've had at least half a dozen United business class experiences where I definitely would have been happier in Economy on another airline -- Lufthansa, SQ, even Air Asia or EasyJet.

I have NEVER - NOT ONCE - had staff on any of these airlines say deliberately degrading or insulting things to me as I have on United. You guys can get all gushy about the seats on United. United Business Class seats are definitely better than Economy seat elsewhere -- as they should be at 5X the price. But for many of us, the treatment matters more than the hardware.

And the treatment frankly sucks. It's little things like not putting the tray on your tray table or making you pick it up, because they are too lazy to bend a few degrees and get it. The TPG author clearly clued into this right away. But what lurks behind that is much bigger and worse things. --and the underlying antagonistic attitude toward customers that pervades United. We saw that with Dr. Dao, the poor old guy in Houston, and I see it about once a month when I end up on United.

Can you imagine as a member of a minority to have somebody call you "little boy?" Think about that. I've only had that experience on United.
we've invoked Dr. Dao, so we can close the post now. All meaningful discussion will cease from this point on...
tuolumne likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
Honestly people. The TPG report on UA is spot on in substance.

1. UA's soft product is about the worst there is.

2. Their new hard product by the time it gets fully rolled out will be at best marginally competitive.
The truths are true, but that doesn't make the non-truths ("worse than LH Y") into truths.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Agree with everyone's comments that the worst J beats any Y.

The only time I've come close was an AI flight from DEL-FRA on a new 788. I had 11ABC (bulkhead) all to myself. Between the curtain between me and J, and the curtain to the galley next to me (and very quiet, attentive crew), it was like having a private cabin all to myself, with no other passengers in my line of sight unless I turned all the way around. It was a daytime flight, so no sleep necessary. Of course, J on that flight (2-2-2) would have been better, but I'm trying to think of a Y experience superior to the UA 2-4-2 middle seat experience.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
ugh.

First of all, I'd take IPTE C over Y on any airline, any day. In fact, I find the seat quite comfortable and in some cases more comfortable than the PMCO lieflats. Sure, you can take issue with the horizontal density, but you've got space and a comfy bed.

Personally, I like my lamb rare, and lamb chops are fatty so I think that might have been spot on for me.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Grog
The truths are true, but that doesn't make the non-truths ("worse than LH Y") into truths.
Do you really think it's impossible for someone's overall J experience to be inferior to a good Y experience?

A lie-flat seat is just so wonderful, that no degree of poor service, malfunctions, and bad food would make you wish you were sitting upright (and being treated decently) elsewhere?
chrisny2 and FlyerJT like this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Do you really think it's impossible for someone's overall J experience to be inferior to a good Y experience?

A lie-flat seat is just so wonderful, that no degree of poor service, malfunctions, and bad food would make you wish you were sitting upright (and being treated decently) elsewhere?
It depends on what you value the most: personally I value the lie flat seat more than anything, as I sleep most of my flight anyway. Maybe living in Scandinavia has made my expectation low, I found UA Y service to much better than SAS Y for instance.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

It depends, but I find it very hard to believe, especially when it's LH Y we're discussing here.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Well, if I were burning most of my precious CC signup bonus on a UA flight in J, and that was the experience, I'd be bummed too! Thus, I can empathize with the notion that perhaps 2x flights in a quality Y product might be better value than one subpar flight in UA J.

Of course, the author doesn't couch it that way, so we can only take the piece at face value.

IMO, the key takeaway is that TPG primarily caters to a mass-market crowd, most of whom (I'd wager) are not frequent travelers in the same vein as many of us on FT. Their mileage earning is driven mostly by signup bonuses - though the churn game has jumped the shark - and CC spend. I'm not looking to TPG for insightful content relevant to business travelers, because the people who generate it simply don't play in that sandbox.

It's not a knock, as I think TPG does an exceptional job at its core competency. But as always, one must consider the source.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Grog
Likewise, the non-truths don't make the truths into non-truths.
porciuscato and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by joshwex90
It depends, but I find it very hard to believe, especially when it's LH Y we're discussing here.
Well, actually the question asked was a theoretical one generally about excellent Y vs. terrible J. The question wasn't "Do you think that any J product could be worse than LH Y?"

Also, note that I mention JL and CX in addition to LH. And, in case it helps, my experience on LH Y is upper deck on the A380, complete with a window-side storage bin, champagne, decent food, excellent service and working IFE and power. So, it was a pretty spectacular Y experience.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:06 am

Stop trying to paint this is a zero sum choice. Poor service is highly speculative from re-reading that review, not to mention they were re-accommodated to another seat. Maybe they should have spoken up sooner and in a more stern tone. We have no idea how this transpired.

The "reviewer" said they liked the meal outside of their 1) rare lamb, and 2) ginger ice cream (both of which I find quite good, and I like my lamb rare).

They fly a lot, yet have no idea of United's food ordering hierarchy. Uh huh. And, please enlighten me, but it looks like they got their first choice. No mention of cooling memory pillow, 2 huge other pillows, mattress pads, Sax duvet and day blanket - give me a break.

They already sinking ship then fully sunk when they went for the cheap line that LH Y > UA C.

This review is a disaster for TPG this morning. The response in this thread from the reviewer was astounding to read.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Well that's my point: it does depend. And different people value things differently (witness for example, the peculiar obsession with pajamas on this forum). That's something to consider before we go off and accuse the TPG author of "untruths."

I, for one, am with him. I have definitely had United J experiences that made me wish I were anywhere else. And I have had nothing but pleasant experiences in LH (and LX and OS) Y.
FlyerJT likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
JT, it sounds like you would prefer Y on other carriers to this particular experience because of the seat defects mainly. A better question is would you pick Y on other carriers over a properly operating UA J seat?

Your broken seat was assuredly an anomaly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.