Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"The Points Guy" takes the mickey out of United & Polaris

"The Points Guy" takes the mickey out of United & Polaris

Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Another Polaris Business mix-up.

The author is clearly not a frequent traveler.
That's the product United is delivering when selling Polaris.
chrisny2, lhrsfo and porciuscato like this.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
May I direct everyone's attention to this thread?

Last edited by diburning; Aug 10, 2017 at 10:29 am
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by shimps1
While I am no fan of TPG to begin with, it's particularly telling that there was no mention of this being the old hard product, and it was only really Polaris soft products on this flight. While I understand that wasn't good either, as a professional reviewer he should at least mention that the seat is not part of the "soon-to-come" Polaris experience, so those complaints should be tampered in the review. Instead, he makes no mention at all.

Why? Why talk about United's vaporware?

The reality is that if you buy a "Polaris" ticket at random right now, the most likely outcome is that you will end up in an 8-across row of coffin seats, just like the author.

The author appropriately discusses how things actually are without clouding things with a discussion of what United claims they will be in the aerie-faerie future. United brought this on themselves by advertising their vaporware as if it actually exists. One lounge and how many 777-300ER routes? 5?

Folks can guffaw about the claim the United Polaris is inferior to other airlines Economy class. But the photos don't lie. I have never been served anything that looked as disgusting as that on any airline in any class, ever. That includes some old Soviet bloc airlines.

Last edited by porciuscato; Aug 9, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:25 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by diburning
May I direct everyone's attention to this thread?
Page not found?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
Page not found?
Perhaps it's an analogy to the Polaris seat not found in the 8 abreast 777 J cabin?
FlyerJT likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Dude had an objectively crappy experience in UA's abysmal 8 across J cabin. Kind of a perfect storm of events we all know do sometimes happen on UA.

But yes, the "I'd rather fly Y" is just silly. TPG has been opting for quantity over quality lately. OMAT and Matthew are much better with the quality control
mtbaker, exerda, nnn and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
I fly NYC to Europe frequently on either UA or LH and LH is better all around but for the bedding and gel pillow.
Nicer FAs, better food and wine, better service and nothing beats the privacy of the upper deck on the 747. A380 is also much nicer than the UA planes.

That being said my UA experience is generally good too. I don't understand the constant UA bashing. Mostly the FAs are friendly and hard working and UA has always done right by me when something went wrong.
tuolumne, dkmatter and FlyerJT like this.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Lufthansa Y? Yes the article gets nuked just from that one assertion. Even WN beats LH
definitely don't understand this - Y in LH is among the average - if that, of the airlines I've flown. I'll give CX pretty good marks for service, but If you get in a 747 with the shell seats, don't even start....the only reason I think these seats were slightly better then the NH IOJ shell seats was the fact the CX flight I was on was half he length of my NH TPAC.

At least they could have mentioned the better economy Y class - that I've been on would say TK and SQ spring to mind immediately. But even then, I'd still rather be in C on UA, or probably any carrier.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by shimps1
While I am no fan of TPG to begin with, it's particularly telling that there was no mention of this being the old hard product, and it was only really Polaris soft products on this flight. While I understand that wasn't good either, as a professional reviewer he should at least mention that the seat is not part of the "soon-to-come" Polaris experience, so those complaints should be tampered in the review. Instead, he makes no mention at all.

It doesn't matter if anyone likes any of these bloggers. This thread just gave one of them free publicity.

As for his trip report, he could have written nothing, but the photos from his UA flight tell enough of a story.

Was this series of flaws and underwhelming food etc a one-off? It doesn't really matter.

It is a bit of a branding mistake on UA's part to have some aircraft and routes with the "real" Polaris, while others yet to be rehabilitated, are still wearing the old cabins, even if they comes with pjs, a blanket and a teddy bear etc. IMHO.
FlyerJT likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
And what is the surprise? After 2.5 MM on UA this has been the norm. Of course now I fly AA or a *A Partner. I have not flown UA in years.
You haven't flown UA "in years". What qualifies you to post on this thread?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Dude had an objectively crappy experience in UA's abysmal 8 across J cabin. Kind of a perfect storm of events we all know do sometimes happen on UA.

But yes, the "I'd rather fly Y" is just silly. TPG has been opting for quantity over quality lately. OMAT and Matthew are much better with the quality control
Agreed, I have pretty much stopped reading TPG as I find the content on OMAAT and Live and Let's Fly much better
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Why? Why talk about United's vaporware?

The reality is that if you buy a "Polaris" ticket at random right now, the most likely outcome is that you will end up in an 8-across row of coffin seats, just like the author.

The author appropriately discusses how things actually are without clouding things with a discussion of what United claims they will be in the aerie-faerie future. United brought this on themselves by advertising their vaporware as if it actually exists. One lounge and how many 777-300ER routes? 5?

Folks can guffaw about the claim the United Polaris is inferior to other airlines Economy class. But the photos don't lie. I have never been served anything that looked as disgusting as that on any airline in any class, ever. That includes some old Soviet bloc airlines.
Not to split hairs, but wouldn't buying a Polaris business seat actually most likely place you on a sCO seat a/c?

14 IPTE 744
14 IPTE 763
33 IPTE 772
Total IPTE a/c: 61

41 sCO non-PS 752
21 sCO 763
16 sCO 764
20 sCO 772
13 Polaris 773
12 sCO 788
20 sCO 789
Total sCO/Polaris a/c: 143

Granted, not all of these are operating at the same time, but as the majority of the intl fleet is equipped with sCO/Polaris seats, I'd venture it safe to say the odds are better for 2-2-2, 2-1-2, 2-2, or 1-2-1. I don't think I've flown in a 2-4-2 seat since 2015.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by porciuscato
But the photos don't lie. I have never been served anything that looked as disgusting as that on any airline in any class, ever. That includes some old Soviet bloc airlines.
In addition to letting people pay to move from F to Y, I should start a business collecting "undercooked" steak and lamb

Between the high fat content and apparent undercooking, I was unable to choke down any of it.
Honestly the meal looked fine, except for the continuing joke that olive oil is a universal salad dressing. Certainly superior to anything I've been served in a TV dinner tray in long-haul Y (thankfully though I can't say I have that much experience with this). But I will agree that the poster did seem to get a pretty bad crew, an awful seatmate, and a broken seat. Not what I would want when paying for that ticket.
FlyerJT likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
This will amuse some of you.

From Matthew, Live and Let's Fly

SORRY TPG, I CAN ASSURE YOU UNITED BUSINESS IS BETTER THAN ECONOMY CLASS ON ANY AIRLINE

MATTHEW AUGUST 9, 2017

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...unfair-review/
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:12 pm

This whole thing is spectacularly backfiring faster than I can count to 3.

Love to see sanity win out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.