Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"The Points Guy" takes the mickey out of United & Polaris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"The Points Guy" takes the mickey out of United & Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Originally Posted by chavala
how old is this "Points Guy" ? He comes across as a whiny, over-entitled teenager.
in all fairness, this is what united is presenting it's product to be. at the bottom it says ARRIVING DECEMBER 2016.
seanp7 and cairns like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by bearkatt
..... in all fairness, this is what united is presenting it's product to be. at the bottom it says ARRIVING DECEMBER 2016.
Kind of why I wrote this (August 9, post 24):

Originally Posted by 24left
....It is a bit of a branding mistake on UA's part to have some aircraft and routes with the "real" Polaris, while others yet to be rehabilitated, are still wearing the old cabins, even if they comes with pjs, a blanket and a teddy bear etc. IMHO.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Austin787
I agree that worst J product beats any Y. The "worst" long haul J product I have flown is AA's angled flat "NGBC" and I'll take that over the best Y seat.

That said, when people say "I'd rather fly Y over United's IPTE" they may be looking at a cost/value perspective: maybe they mean that they would rather pay $700 to fly Y instead of paying $3000 to fly IPTE.
the article didn't bring up money IIRC (and no I won't read that trash a second time to check)
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PVDProf
I had a broken footrest in my barcalounger LAX-LHR at the beginning of the IPTE transition. When I brought to the FAs attention during boarding, a mechanic came and taped it down really well (so it was completely useless). Sure, it was the...legacy product...at the time, and they weren't investing much in maintenance. But UA also realized they weren't pricing a broken-down legacy product, so they had to make good. I got a $500 ETC out of it (which wasn't bad, since it was only half my MEL-LAX-LHR SWU).
that is PMUA. Understanding their operations are threadbare and compensating generously. Which stoked my brand loyalty.

if this writer had gotten that large an ETC the complaints would have been very muted

but I am glad he got stiffed to be honest.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I've had at least half a dozen United business class experiences where I definitely would have been happier in Economy on another airline -- Lufthansa, SQ, even Air Asia or EasyJet.

I have NEVER - NOT ONCE - had staff on any of these airlines say deliberately degrading or insulting things to me as I have on United. You guys can get all gushy about the seats on United. United Business Class seats are definitely better than Economy seat elsewhere -- as they should be at 5X the price. But for many of us, the treatment matters more than the hardware.

And the treatment frankly sucks. It's little things like not putting the tray on your tray table or making you pick it up, because they are too lazy to bend a few degrees and get it. The TPG author clearly clued into this right away. But what lurks behind that is much bigger and worse things. --and the underlying antagonistic attitude toward customers that pervades United. We saw th
Can you imagine as a member of a minority to have somebody call you "little boy?" Think about that. I've only had that experience on United.
Wow, amazing that you are GS and report terrible service. I am a 1K and fly this route often and am always treated very well. I give TPG as much credibility as I give Donald Trump. Pants on fire. Has TPG ever flown in Y long distance on LH or SAS? This post is simply crazy. Last March I flew IAD-FRA on UA and FRA-DUB on LH, both in C. Seat comfort, meal,drink selection, movies, service all far superior on UA. LH seats supposedly lie flat were distinctly uncomfortable.

Last edited by euslaner; Aug 11, 2017 at 3:20 pm Reason: addition
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by 24left
Oh look, another review on TPG. LOL. Posted 41 minutes ago

Transatlantic Business-Class Battle: Lufthansa 747-8 vs. United 777-200

by JT Genter
If TPG offered a "click here to get one of our articles printed on toilet paper" option, they would make a fortune.
I'm starting to believe that the guy is fishing for a position in the White House.

Last edited by DoTheBartMan; Aug 11, 2017 at 5:32 pm Reason: Words, grammar, etc.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by chavala
how old is this "Points Guy" ? He comes across as a whiny, over-entitled teenager.
+1
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
If TPG offered an "click here to get one of our articles printed on toilet paper," they would make a fortune.
I'm starting to believe that the guy is fishing for a position in the White House.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by 5khours
Honestly people. The TPG report on UA is spot on in substance.

1. UA's soft product is about the worst there is.

2. Their new hard product by the time it gets fully rolled out will be at best marginally competitive.
Originally Posted by N1120A
1. That simply isn't true anymore.

2. That almost certainly won't be true.
I can only speak from personal experience.

In the past 12 months, I've flown international premium product on UA, DL, OZ, JL, NH, CX, BR, VN, TG, SQ, EK, TK, LX, and LH.

Of these, UA definitely has the worst soft product. FULL STOP.

Even ignoring the fact that they're eliminating F, UA's new hard product is not significantly better than any of these carriers. If you consider the lack of F, UA will be about on par with VN or BR.... albeit with a lot worse service.
cairns likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 5khours
I can only speak from personal experience.

In the past 12 months, I've flown international premium product on UA, DL, OZ, JL, NH, CX, BR, VN, TG, SQ, EK, TK, LX, and LH.

Of these, UA definitely has the worst soft product. FULL STOP.

Even ignoring the fact that they're eliminating F, UA's new hard product is not significantly better than any of these carriers. If you consider the lack of F, UA will be about on par with VN or BR.... albeit with a lot worse service.
Strongly disagree having flown many of the same carriers and many additional ones, but YMMV...
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: gate lice
Originally Posted by mapleg
If that employee worked for me I would suggest that she/he find new employment immediately, perhaps at a low level truck stop. Either that or horse whip the FA in front of the assembled crew
This isn't a UA-specific problem...service on US3 suck. Soft product is inconsistent.
diburning likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 12, 2017 at 7:36 am Reason: Please stick to the thread's topic
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have followed this thread for the last a few days. and I am surprised with some of the assertions made.

UA is not perfect, and may be just average, but there are a lot of average airlines out there. We all have our preferences, however; honestly, I do have doubts about whether some of the posters have actually flown as many C and Y on a FREQUENT OR REGULAR basis. I think sample sizes have to be equal to be fair.

I hardly fly airlines outside of *A. If I do, it is Qantas, Virgin Australia, Silk Air and some of the airlines in Asian where domestic and regional routes lack *A coverage.

To claim, Y is better than PMUA 777 C is simply hard to comprehend and understand.

Within *A, I fly about half UA and half other *A carriers for my annual roughly 350K BIS flights, I assert that PMUA seats are definitely comfortable than most of the *A C seats.

Yes, I rank SQ and OS very high, but their seats are just not that comfortable to relax and sleep. I just had a few amazing flights on SQ A350 C and their seats comfort really needs to be improved.

My point is that I find it difficult to understand those who make statements so definitive and blunt that often questionable.
kb1992 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Click bait

I was intrigued by the large numbers of posts about a travel blog article. I find reading tpg equivalent to cheap fiction. It's not my thing. I do actively accumulate and use points but only as a byproduct of my travel not as a source of income. But I was intrigued and WASTED a few minutes reading all of this thread and the two referenced articles. My thoughts can be summed up in one word, really? As a points related blog it fills space and generates income. But It's obvious that tpg doesn't like UA. A straight up comparison of two offering sounds good. Comparing US domestic flughaffen experiences to Euro international flughaffens is apples to plums and I especially like the comparison of the aging 777 to a 747-800.
diburning likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
To claim, Y is better than PMUA 777 C is simply hard to comprehend and understand.
It is a post by someone who thinks that he should be on a private jet while paying for Y.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
And since we're discussing travel blogs, as a counterpoint here's a critical but balanced review of UA J from OMAAT, published today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.