Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 210 - Aug 7th: Flight attendant blames pilots for delayed flight over PA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 210 - Aug 7th: Flight attendant blames pilots for delayed flight over PA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Maybe someone could clarify your second statement? I've flown plenty (ok...maybe not compared to most of you) of times this summer and haven't noticed anything. In fact, it's rare for me to even experience an mx.

So, is there a labor beef going on within UA?
I think so.

Here's my experience. On an attempt to fly to Europe via EWR, two widebody IAH-EWR in a row mx'ed out.

On a flight from GDL to IAH, Three different tails assigned, TEN different mx delays.

On a flight from PVR to IAH, multiple more hours long mx issues.

I did fly without a mx delay/cancellation twice this year.

---

It appears to me the extreme bad service and irrops has been concentrated out of IAH. Either that or I'm just extremely unlucky.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Be nice to know more of the back story, but shenanigans like this happen more often than you might think. It's just rarely called out publicly. If the pilots were indeed dragging their feet and weren't being asked to do anything crazy, I'm fine with them being called out. They don't get the blame that they sometimes deserve. There's bad apples in the pilot ranks too.

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Does anyone know if pilots can waive their "duty limit" (or whatever it's called and work over their hours if needed?
I assume they can waive some contractual limits like the FAs can. But the pilots also have some FAA limits that cannot be avoided.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:04 pm

I think it's bad form for the FA to air out their dirty laundry in public. It's unprofessional to blame your colleagues for stuff to customers - even if they did something wrong.

I have seen UA staff bickering and complaining about the company or other staff more than once, and I've never seen it on another airline. That's not to say it doesn't happen there but it does seem to be worse at UA at least post-merger.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I think it's bad form for the FA to air out their dirty laundry in public. It's unprofessional to blame your colleagues for stuff to customers - even if they did something wrong.

I have seen UA staff bickering and complaining about the company or other staff more than once, and I've never seen it on another airline. That's not to say it doesn't happen there but it does seem to be worse at UA at least post-merger.
No, that is exactly what they should do for something that affects the passengers. "Dirty laundry" that should be kept away from the public is stuff like whining about the pay, hours, base, etc. But this is not dirty laundry. This is an illegal job action and the perpetrators should be fired. NEVER bite the hand that feeds you. Take your complaints to a message board.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Be nice to know more of the back story, but shenanigans like this happen more often than you might think. It's just rarely called out publicly. If the pilots were indeed dragging their feet and weren't being asked to do anything crazy, I'm fine with them being called out. They don't get the blame that they sometimes deserve. There's bad apples in the pilot ranks too.

I assume they can waive some contractual limits like the FAs can. But the pilots also have some FAA limits that cannot be avoided.
Gotcha - thanks. I think in my case, it was the contract limit they were choosing to not waive. I heard the FA say something like "the pilots chose not to waive", and from what I understand, a lot of them hate when the company pulls them off deadhead to work if they have time left so maybe they were sticking it to them. Either way, the pilot's story did not sound convincing.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
If the pilots hate their job so much they would rather cancel a flight because they can't deadhead but have to WORK for two hours (horrors I know!), they need to find another line of work.

Sadly, the concept of "customer service" at UA is very faint.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Air Canada operates a direct service between New Orleans and Washington. Wow, that's news to me. Or were you connecting beyond Washington?
No it was direct from New Orleans to Toronto. We also got a business class upgrade on that flight which was nice.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by minnyfly

Correct with regard to the FAA mandated pilot flight and duty time limits.

I work in the aviation industry. The pilots at our company can actually fly a maximum of 10 hours during any given day and be on duty for no more than 14 hours during the same day.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:03 pm

In June, I had an issue with this same flight 210, MSY-IAD. I posted about it in the "Cancelled/Delayed Domestic Flights" thread. Only this time, it was a FA issue. Crew had overnighted in MSY and the next day, one of the FAs was not at the airport. They finally located her and said that she was on the way, however, she never showed. Fortunately, there was a local FA flying to IAD to work a TATL. He volunteered to work in her place, although he wouldn't be able to work his original TATL flight. Our flight was delayed about one hour.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Okay, so I'm a novice with all this insight, but the OP indicated the email sent following incident pointed to poor weather as the cause of the cancellation. Isn't this an outright lie, and if so, doesn't the FAA (or similar oversight organization) have the ability to levy large fines for overt deception?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
No, that is exactly what they should do for something that affects the passengers. "Dirty laundry" that should be kept away from the public is stuff like whining about the pay, hours, base, etc. But this is not dirty laundry. This is an illegal job action and the perpetrators should be fired. NEVER bite the hand that feeds you. Take your complaints to a message board.
They should report it to their line manager. Customers don't gain anything from knowing it and it hurts the company's image.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Customers don't gain anything from knowing it and it hurts the company's image.
Customers gain the ability to complain more effectively. Corporate image deserves to suffer, if true (and it appears to be from what I've read here - and I was around for SFH, so nothing is outside of the realm of possibility from my perspective). In fact, the prospect of injury to corporate image is one of the few things on Earth that can motivate a large corporation like UA to take action against misbehaving but expensive/valuable employees - pilots, no less.
Grog and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Customers gain the ability to complain more effectively. Corporate image deserves to suffer, if true (and it appears to be from what I've read here - and I was around for SFH, so nothing is outside of the realm of possibility from my perspective). In fact, the prospect of injury to corporate image is one of the few things on Earth that can motivate a large corporation like UA to take action against misbehaving but expensive/valuable employees - pilots, no less.
^
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Wonder which sub the pilots were from. Looks like the tail was scheduled to be N37273.
Pilots don't dwell on 'sub' anymore. Irrelevant point to bring up.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
No.. The should get a medal. And the Pilots should be fired.

Given my experience with UA this summer, it appears as if there's some sort of labor beef going on, usually concentrating on mx issues. It wouldn't surprise me that it might be the pilots behind it.

I look forward to flying more flights on the ME3 and Norweigian if they don't fix it soon.
http://www.newsinenglish.no/2017/08/...elays-in-july/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.