Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 210 - Aug 7th: Flight attendant blames pilots for delayed flight over PA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 210 - Aug 7th: Flight attendant blames pilots for delayed flight over PA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LarryJ
United is my sixth airline. The current work atmosphere and employee morale is by far the best that I've seen in my 27-year career.
As others have noted, thanks to you and your fellow UA employees for posting and bringing a rational view to these discussions. ^^
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
From what I can see, both cockpit crews did everything allowed under the regulations to try to operate the flight.
United is my sixth airline. The current work atmosphere and employee morale is by far the best that I've seen in my 27-year career.
I also wish to thank you Larry for explaining what seems to have occurred. It was very nice of you to set the record straight!

Perhaps in Nashville (BNA) the employees are very happy, and that's great, but I haven't seen too many F/A's dancing in the aisles on my 78 segments this year, nor are there very many happy faces at the ticket counters and podiums, in many stations that I visit, and that also includes many United Clubs. If one really wants to get put in their place swing by SFO or EWR for a dose of comeuppance!

The SFH was long ago, and it's better if left to rest, but will not be forgotten by those folks that have never flown this airline, ever again, in the past 17 years, with some exceptions!

Thanks again Larry!!!^
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Two Bee
Perhaps in Nashville (BNA)
I am a pilot based in EWR.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
90 flights this year on UAL

NOTHING surprises me anymore !
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by g-code
Believe it or not, but the vast majority are quite competitive and are doing everything possible to improve the operation. I can't speak for all the hubs, but Newark has been getting nuked with ATC delays off and on the past month. That's a function of ATC though, not the airline itself.
Not entirely true, EWR is scheduled to nearly 100% of capacity for a perfect day which means if anything goes wrong it tanks hard. If UAL were to cut its flights to align with what EWR normally can work the number of delays would drop drastically.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by ROCAT
If UAL were to cut its flights to align with what EWR normally can work the number of delays would drop drastically.
With the reduction/elimination of slot controls, if UAL were to cut flights other airlines would just add flights to replace them. The result would be the same congestion and ATC delays except with a small market share for UAL.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:56 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
With the reduction/elimination of slot controls, if UAL were to cut flights other airlines would just add flights to replace them. The result would be the same congestion and ATC delays except with a small market share for UAL.
Isnt that paradoxical? WITH slots, for one to add, when at capacity, another would have to reduce. Without slot controls, any airline could add without requiring a different to reduce.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by fastair
Isnt that paradoxical? WITH slots, for one to add, when at capacity, another would have to reduce. Without slot controls, any airline could add without requiring a different to reduce.
At an airport, like EWR, where demand exceeds the capacity of the infrastructure, it is what happens. Just look at what has happened at EWR with non-UAL airlines entering the market and/or adding flights since the slots were dropped.

In this situation, market forces push airlines to add far more flights than the infrastructure can comfortably support in order to avoid ceding market share to competitors without reducing delays.

I'd rather see the airport authority set reasonable slots and have airlines bid on them. That would provide pressure to use fewer, larger airplanes; shift flights to less congested times; and divert capacity to less congested reliever airports.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:05 pm

I had a situation on UA that was almost the exact polar opposite of this. Flying the LAX-CLE redeye which was falling victim to the rolling delay. We board and after about 15 mins, the pilot announces that the co-pilot had timed out. HOWEVER, we had a deadheading pilot on the plane who was trying to get home to CLE, that had enough legal duty time (maybe?) available who agreed to hop into the co-pilot seat for the flight.

The flight took off and I've never been so happy to deal with UA.

United = the consistently, inconsistent airline. When it goes great, it goes REALLY great. When it goes bad, it goes horrendously bad.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by CLEContinental
I had a situation on UA that was almost the exact polar opposite of this. HOWEVER, we had a deadheading pilot on the plane who was trying to get home
Same thing happened to me on 9/14/2001--- Bronco game on Monday night (9/10/2001) --- Terrorist attack 9/11/2001 --- all flights grounded & couldn't get out of Denver until the very first flight on Friday (9/14). Only ONE pilot showed up, however there were lots of others deadheading to LAX, and after a 30/40 min phone call one of them flying from LAX to HNL, later in the day, was going to be legal to get us goin'!

On 8/12, I returned my Avis car to a completely empty lot, and after doing so, I realized that I should have just driven to L.A.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by wolf72
It certainly was not the FA's who delayed the flight, yes?
They have different rules than pilots - for good reason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.