Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why so little service NYC-LON?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by catocony
....Plus,. with no *A member hubbed there, IRROPS get very very dicey if you miss a connection.
I've had very good LH IRROPS handling experience. Once I was connecting from a Europe LH flight in MUC to a UA flight to EWR. On arrival in MUC, I found out the UA flight was going to be 5 hours delayed. An LH agent quickly rebooked me on an OS flight to VIE connecting to their (at the time new) 763 service to EWR, arriving within an hour of the same time my UA flight was originally expected. Plus, I was in J on UA with a GPU and the agent put me in J on both OS flights. 1-2-1 seating on the 763 vs the UA 763 barcalounger seats.

Another vote to avoid LHR for connections.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
UA doesn't offer a late departure from LHR which means you can't work in the afternoon and then leave for NY. It cannot be taken seriously in this business market without such a flight.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
UA doesn't offer a late departure from LHR which means you can't work in the afternoon and then leave for NY. It cannot be taken seriously in this business market without such a flight.
One would think that if such a flight were essential to competing in the NYC-LON market, there would be more than just three flights to JFK (1x AA/BA/VS) after UA's 6pm LHR-EWR, which is often a 757.

I like having the option but getting out of London to make the evening flights is never a picnic, even for the later flights, and sometimes obviates the extra work which can be conducted with the later departure.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL Silver, SW, BA, AC 25k, Marriott Gold
To the OP: You could probably say the exact same thing in reverse about UA vs. Other airlines in FRA-NYC where UA/LH hold the most share because it is almost a "Hub2Hub" for their JV while a spoke for many other airlines.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by catocony
Again, there's nothing *A can do in London that they're already doing better and cheaper at Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich, etc.
Can you book EWR to BKK on 016 stock (for a competitive price) though these stations?

SL
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by In The 216
I understand your question but I am not sure I agree with the premise. I think UA's service to LHR is quite sufficient; even from EWR. Why would they utilize additional slots at LHR just because?

EWR x 5
IAD x 4
ORD x 3
SFO x 2
IAH x 2
LAX x 1
And aren't they dropping an EWR and adding DEN?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by brooks_87
To the OP: You could probably say the exact same thing in reverse about UA vs. Other airlines in FRA-NYC where UA/LH hold the most share because it is almost a "Hub2Hub" for their JV while a spoke for many other airlines.
And yet UA only flies from EWR to FRA once a day, compared to 5/6 a day to LHR... which I think goes to show (as most posters above have said) that UA has plenty of service to LHR given it is not a UA/JV hub.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by brooks_87
Seriously. DL seems to be 1x daily while AA doesn't even bother.

Originally Posted by SunLover
Can you book EWR to BKK on 016 stock (for a competitive price) though these stations?
I don't know the route or fares well enough to speak to "competitive price," but Google Flights has plenty of options via FRA or ZRH. Need one TATL leg on UA to ticket 016, I believe.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Moreover, flights from US connecting in FRA/MUC do not need to go through security again in FRA/MUC, you leave the plane airside post-security, which saves a lot of time compared to the security nonsense at LHR.
hub, that can't be correct all the time. I did IAD-FRA-BOM. Arrived at a bus gate - not sure if that that's why, and then had to take the train to the terminal and clear security.

Originally Posted by symphonicman
I don't know the route or fares well enough to speak to "competitive price," but Google Flights has plenty of options via FRA or ZRH. Need one TATL leg on UA to ticket 016, I believe.
TG is one of the carriers that won't sell their discount fares unless booked on TG stock, at least IME. So TG segment will usually book in Y on 016. Not price competitive unless one wants to fly a full fare anyway.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
And yet UA only flies from EWR to FRA once a day, compared to 5/6 a day to LHR... which I think goes to show (as most posters above have said) that UA has plenty of service to LHR given it is not a UA/JV hub.
It works the other way around too..Star Alliance has 5 daily nonstops FRA-NYC, Skyteam has one, OneWorld has none. Similar story on Zurich-NYC, Star Alliance has 4 daily nonstops, Skyteam and OneWorld one each. Those are important business routes obviously.

And it's not just a question of connecting traffic..it's the fact that companies based in a market are more likely to strike a deal with the 'home airline' i.e. companies in London are more likely to have BA deals than LH Group deals just like companies in Frankfurt are more likely to go with LH etc.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wcalvert
And aren't they dropping an EWR and adding DEN?
The 5x reflects the shift of a slot from EWR to DEN.
Originally Posted by SunLover
BKK is not part of the TATL JV. It is part of the TPAC JV. I believe India is as far as you can get on the TATL JV is India.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The last time I took the day flight EWR-LHR a few weeks ago, there were at least a dozen, but probably 20, people being called for tight connections (to Cairo, various places in Europe, and somewhere else in Asia). Just a data point.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Acid
Air India (*A) also has 2 flights a week EWR-LHR. UA has lost out on connecting traffic to India as their partnership with Jet Airways ended which is now closely aligned with DL/VS/Sky Team.
Is Air India still offering F on their EWR-LHR route?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by knit-in
Is Air India still offering F on their EWR-LHR route?
No - J and Y only on the 788
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I just don't understand the premise of this thread. According to the OP on their own metal UA has 1,146 seats, AA has either 1,120 or 862 seats and DL has 624 seats.

Given that AA+DL have LHR JVs, I think that it is actually quite impressive that UA leads domestic competitors in the NYC-LON market. Plus it must be more biased towards O/D traffic due to the lack of a *A hub at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.