Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy passenger trys to join family in E+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy passenger trys to join family in E+

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
If I want to be able to have my own way then I need to pay for the privilege or better still buy my own aircraft (last comment is tongue in cheek as I have no intention of buying an aircraft).
Yes, but then you could really be a DYKWIA and also get the upgrade (GPUs be damned!)

David
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eng3
Thats because most people (including the "journalists") fly on an airplane once a year and don't read past the headline. Ironically, all it does is create more people like this family.

Family got $150/pax for "???" Then they got $200 for a broken stroller. And the family complained that it isnt enough.
I agree that what this family did was ridiculous. But to your point, most people only fly once a year, like the journalist you mentioned. The airlines have managed to create systems so complicated, you need to be an expert to navigate them. And that's on them.

Even on a simple domestic flight, you have three kinds of seats: First class, Economy plus, Economy. In addition, people are traveling on a variety of fares, and their privileges are further stratified according to fare class (which is something the average traveler probably doesn't know about) and status. It was already pretty confusing for the occasional leisure traveler, and throwing this Basic Economy nonsense in there made things even worse.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
If regular y-pax have filled the rest of the plane, BE folks get E+, even though they didn't pay for it. It's become somewhat of a point of contention for NRSAs and group 3/4s alike.
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
To be clear, if you pay for any Economy seat, and you sit in E+, that is not an upgrade. BE passengers are only restricted from advance seat assignments, but they are NOT specifically restricted from E+ seating.
Thank you both for the corrections. It hadn't occurred to me that the four might have been assigned E+ only because ordinary E seats weren't available. I can see how it would antagonize passengers who paid more, have higher status, or both.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Thank you both for the corrections. It hadn't occurred to me that the four might have been assigned E+ only because ordinary E seats weren't available. I can see how it would antagonize passengers who paid more, have higher status, or both.
As mentioned in another thread, UA has already begun addressing this by giving some non-BE passengers with seat assignments in E- surprise access to E+ at check-in.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
As mentioned in another thread, UA has already begun addressing this by giving some non-BE passengers with seat assignments in E- surprise access to E+ at check-in.
Surprise and Delight?
Or for pax who paid Q, V or W fares and wound up in E-: "Enrage and Incite"?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kochleffel
I can see how it would antagonize passengers who paid more, have higher status, or both.
Presumably any non-BE passengers with UA status were already in E+. So it's really just about jumping fare class.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Presumably any non-BE passengers with UA status were already in E+. So it's really just about jumping fare class.
nope. as posted by COSPILOT, BE folks getting F as well - with no consideration of upgrading high Y-class fare buckets out of either Y or E+ first.

David
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
nope. as posted by COSPILOT, BE folks getting F as well - with no consideration of upgrading high Y-class fare buckets out of either Y or E+ first.
Huh? Surely a last-minute op-up from BE to F would be astonishingly rare, almost unheard of. If there were any premier members eligible for a CPU, how would a BE passenger end up in F?

Or do you mean they were mistakenly offered TODs, despite UA's rules against them for BE passengers? If so, given that the rules are unequivocal it was certainly a bug.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh? Surely a last-minute op-up from BE to F would be astonishingly rare, almost unheard of. If there were any premier members eligible for a CPU, how would a BE passenger end up in F?

Or do you mean they were mistakenly offered TODs, despite UA's rules against them for BE passengers? If so, given that the rules are unequivocal it was certainly a bug.
The person who posted that anecdote said that Y was oversold and seats went out empty in F. My guess is that all Premiers had already been upgraded (it does happen), and some gate agent took the path of least resistance and put the last BE passenger without a seat assignment into F rather than offering an op-up to the highest fare class regular economy passenger already on board.

If that flight gets audited, I imagine that gate agent is going to have an uncomfortable conversation. Given how hard UA is trying to avoid selling BE fares to people, I can't imagine they want to generate an expectation that you might end up sitting in F if you buy one.

Last edited by jsloan; Jul 28, 2017 at 2:19 pm Reason: Corrected "regular BE" to "regular economy" in first paragraph
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28615429-post326.html

not bug. just bad form by a GA.

David
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If that flight gets audited, I imagine that gate agent is going to have an uncomfortable conversation. Given how hard UA is trying to avoid selling BE fares to people, I can't imagine they want to generate an expectation that you might end up sitting in F if you buy one.
OK, so a one-off on a flight that just happened to have a FTer onboard, and no premier members were harmed in the process. Let's not wring our hands about "BE folks getting F" over a corner case.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
The person who posted that anecdote said that Y was oversold and seats went out empty in F. My guess is that all Premiers had already been upgraded (it does happen), and some gate agent took the path of least resistance and put the last BE passenger without a seat assignment into F rather than offering an op-up to the highest fare class regular BE passenger already on board.
Right. So (assuming the report is accurate) it's just an issue of fare class getting jumped, not, elites.

Though clearly to the extent this actually happened, it was an error by the GA.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
It is very possible that this BE passenger was also a UA elite. According to the account, Economy was full & FC went out with 2 empty seats, so there were no NRSA on the flight and the upgrade list had been exhausted. If that were the case, then I could see the GA giving the open FC seat to the UA elite vs. op-up'ing a non-elite (even if they were on a high fare class) to make room in the the back. Given that there might have been multiple non-elites in the back on the higher fare class, how do you determine who to pick?

This scenario is about the only one where I could see it being OK to put a BE passenger in FC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.