Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy passenger trys to join family in E+

Basic Economy passenger trys to join family in E+

Old Jul 26, 17, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Martina70 View Post
For real, I just saw this story on FB and almost everyone who commented was sympathetic to the family and complained about United. I didn't see the part on the FB the the family was given $750. Why were they given it?
Thats because most people (including the "journalists") fly on an airplane once a year and don't read past the headline. Ironically, all it does is create more people like this family.

Family got $150/pax for "???" Then they got $200 for a broken stroller. And the family complained that it isnt enough.
Old Jul 26, 17, 12:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Thats because most people (including the "journalists") fly on an airplane once a year and don't read past the headline. Ironically, all it does is create more people like this family.

Family got $150/pax for "???" Then they got $200 for a broken stroller. And the family complained that it isnt enough.
Ridiculous and maddening.
I just paid to upgrade myself and my husband from E to E+ on our upcoming LAX/LAS/LAX trip. If I got upgraded for free, I would have been happy with that and thankful.
Old Jul 26, 17, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER View Post
Reading what I did about it, I think the thing that the FA may have overdone was not allowing a seat-trade with another passenger. They usually don't mind if someone wants to give up their seat to accommodate another passenger.

However, expecting to be able to use the overhead luggage bins, etc. when they knew they were on a basic economy ticket is definitely out of bounds for the passenger. This person looks like they were just looking to pick a fight.

I didn't take it that another E passenger offered to down grade herself from E+ to E- to accommodate this family. I assumed that she moved herself to another open E+ seat and the husband of the family in question took this as permission for passengers to move about the cabin freely and take any unoccupied seat, but was stopped.
Old Jul 26, 17, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
Funny that the Mom's twitter bio lists "fact-checker" though she seems to have spun some of the "facts" in this story. I'll have a good morning trolling her and others. Thanks for the link.
You mean, "alternative fact - checker".
Old Jul 26, 17, 6:38 pm

Programs: NPR
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Family of 5 buys BASIC economy. UA UPGRADES 4/5 of them to E+.
To be clear, Basic Economy fares are not eligible for upgrades; it must have been done out of pity (or something) by the gate agent in defiance of policy.

5th person tries to self-upgrade, gets caught.
I'm a bit sympathetic to the family on this one, because whatever reason the gate agent had for upgrading four of them, s/he would probably have upgraded the fifth if the seat had been available at the time. I can't imagine that a gate agent would upgrade four out of five and leave the fifth seat open; it must have been already assigned.
Old Jul 26, 17, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel View Post
To be clear, Basic Economy fares are not eligible for upgrades; it must have been done out of pity (or something) by the gate agent in defiance of policy.
Not defiance. If regular y-pax have filled the rest of the plane, BE folks get E+, even though they didn't pay for it. It's become somewhat of a point of contention for NRSAs and group 3/4s alike.

Also, these situations suck for everyone involved. I'm of the opinion that if the party is traveling with someone who would fit UNAM criteria, they shouldn't be allowed to purchase BE. Too many shenanigans with parents and kids, and it's a ton of work for the already stressed GAs.
Old Jul 26, 17, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I'm wondering if one of the take-aways from this is that from now on UA absolutely prohibits any seat swaps from E- to E+ that aren't assigned/paid for.
Old Jul 27, 17, 2:13 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
I'm wondering if one of the take-aways from this is that from now on UA absolutely prohibits any seat swaps from E- to E+ that aren't assigned/paid for.
That has been officially the case for years, some flight attendants are militant about that (even seat moves within the same Y subclass... Many FAs just don't want to fight that battle and just quietly ignore it.
Old Jul 27, 17, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Once onboard, if pax want to switch seats with eachother, upgrading and downgrading in the process, I don't see the issue. (ie. Husband lets wife sit in F seat.) As long as the orig open seats stay open. As for FA's, I think it's in their best interest to stay out of it unless a rule is being broken or they are asked for help.

The issue is the DYKWIA pax who feel entitled. Like when I politely declined switching e+ bulkhead window seat with her E- middle seat and the lady threatened to complain to the FA.

No matter how rules change, a DYKWIA isn't going to change their personality. It is in their nature to believe rules dont apply to them.
Old Jul 27, 17, 6:49 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k

I'm a bit sympathetic to the family on this one, because whatever reason the gate agent had for upgrading four of them, s/he would probably have upgraded the fifth if the seat had been available at the time. I can't imagine that a gate agent would upgrade four out of five and leave the fifth seat open; it must have been already assigned.
Sympathetic? I've tried (successfully and not so much) to upgrade my entire family before, and the one thing I am very aware of is if we will not be upgraded as a family. Trying to scam upgraded seats because the whole traveling party didn't make it is quite lame.
Old Jul 27, 17, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS 75k, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz somthingorother
This lady sounds like a horrible parent. Why didn't she just explain to her child that it was okay for her to sleep across the empty seat? Instead she takes a picture and posts it on social media, while her poor kid, who has no idea what's going on, tries to cope with the situation her parents caused in the first place. I'm seeing zero concern for the kid, and a whole lot of self-pity on the parent's side here.
Old Jul 27, 17, 8:22 am
Original Poster

I agree, I have no sympathy for the family. They CHOSE to book BE which explicitly states that families wont be seated together. The GA went above and beyond. If its sooo important to be seated together for the duration of the flight, then they should have paid for that convenience.

The only sympathy I may have is for the kid. The parents and "journalists" taking advantage of them to get a attention and and money. It teaches a pretty poor lesson as well. We'll probably see this exact article again in 20yrs when the kid does the same thing to her kid.
Old Jul 27, 17, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred

To be clear, if you pay for any Economy seat, and you sit in E+, that is not an upgrade. BE passengers are only restricted from advance seat assignments, but they are NOT specifically restricted from E+ seating. E+ passengers receive the same level of in-cabin service as E- passengers.

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER View Post
However, expecting to be able to use the overhead luggage bins, etc. when they knew they were on a basic economy ticket is definitely out of bounds for the passenger. This person looks like they were just looking to pick a fight.
BE passengers are not restricted from using overhead luggage bins. They are only restricted from having a carry-on a bag so large that it MUST be stored in the overhead bins. However, they are not specifically restricted from using the bins for the items they are allowed to carry-on.
Old Jul 27, 17, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
Originally Posted by JohnneeO View Post
E+ passengers receive the same level of in-cabin service as E- passengers.
Not true anymore on the formerly PS routes.
Old Jul 27, 17, 11:36 am

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
I so agree with many of the comments about folks trying to "publicize" perceived injustices by the airlines and garner sympathy against corporate giants. Flying is a privilege and not a right.

Yes, there are T&Cs that are agreed to and I for one do get upset when I do not believe these have been followed (and have asked for advice on FT for some of the situations)
but when it comes down to it the airline does not make me fly with them and I have choices.

If I want to sit with my family then I should pay for that privilege and if not, then I can usually wait 1,2,4 hours until we reunite at the end of the flight. Most people are understanding about swapping if there is a small kid (I for one do not want to sit next to someone else's child) but no one usually rearranges themselves when there is unassigned seating for example on a bus or a train - you sit where there is a spare seat.

If I want to take carryon but do not want to pay for the privilege of ensuring it does not go in the space of the foot well then again pay or be satisfied with the situation.

This sense of entitlement (and glad these stories are in the DYKWIA section) is partly why we have these confrontational experiences when flying these days. Sadly. FAs are there for safety - end of story. My goal when flying is to get safely where I am traveling.

If I want to be able to have my own way then I need to pay for the privilege or better still buy my own aircraft (last comment is tongue in cheek as I have no intention of buying an aircraft).

Search this Thread