Wiki Posts
Search

Fewest FF miles for longest distance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Fewest FF miles for longest distance

Today I realized with only $146 EQD for a flight from ORD-PVG I scored a whopping 1606 miles for the leg. As a 1K, the old system provided 14,112.

Could it be any worse?

Last edited by tryathlete; Jul 27, 2017 at 10:28 pm Reason: Reversed route by mistake
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Ouch!

And a general member would only get 730
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Fare sales would be the reason why the fares are so cheap and the majority are taxes.

My friend has the following coming up:
San Francisco, CA (SFO)-Tokyo, Japan (HND - Haneda)
PQD: $49
RDM (for him): 245
Old RDM: 5160
He's a general member.

Last edited by laxmillenial; Jul 28, 2017 at 4:42 am
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: None anymore
How cheap were the tickets??

It's obvious they're incentivising paying more for your tickets, that's for sure.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Fare sales would be the reason why the fares are so cheap and the majority are taxes.

My friend has the following coming up:
San Francisco, CA (SFO)-Tokyo, Japan (HND - Haneda)
PQD: $49
PQM (for him): 245
Old PQM: 5160
He's a general member.
PQMs are not affected by the spend calculation, right? RDMs are the base fare multiplied, but PQMs should still be as before (distance, 500 miles minimum for Premiers).

So a cheap fare for a long distance would rack up good PQMs and puny RDMs (and few PQDs). Inverse for expensive short flights (few PQMs, good PQDs, good RDMs). Neither alone is great for achieving status; at least the Accelerator or PQM/PQS purchase offers allow someone with high spend on short flights a way to even things out. People flying $49 base fares SFO-HND and back will earn plenty of PQMs but come up way short on PQDs and either have to spend way more or use a credit card exemption from PQDs.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by warrenw
How cheap were the tickets??

It's obvious they're incentivising paying more for your tickets, that's for sure.
The leg was $346--more taxes than fare!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've priced but not flown an LAX-BKK that would earn 1 PQD (if I recall). I think it routed LAX-NRT-BKK with a base fare of $0.50. I don't have the tolerance to go that far in Y though, so I don't have anything that low actually posted.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:16 am

I got about 10 miles for a TATL segment last year. It was priced at $2 or so.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by UAzip
PQMs are not affected by the spend calculation, right? RDMs are the base fare multiplied, but PQMs should still be as before (distance, 500 miles minimum for Premiers).

So a cheap fare for a long distance would rack up good PQMs and puny RDMs (and few PQDs). Inverse for expensive short flights (few PQMs, good PQDs, good RDMs). Neither alone is great for achieving status; at least the Accelerator or PQM/PQS purchase offers allow someone with high spend on short flights a way to even things out. People flying $49 base fares SFO-HND and back will earn plenty of PQMs but come up way short on PQDs and either have to spend way more or use a credit card exemption from PQDs.
You're right. This is what happens when I stay up too late. I'll edit my post Sorry!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by findark
I've priced but not flown an LAX-BKK that would earn 1 PQD (if I recall). I think it routed LAX-NRT-BKK with a base fare of $0.50. I don't have the tolerance to go that far in Y though, so I don't have anything that low actually posted.
YQ would be included.. I doubt you'd ever see $1 worth of PQD/RDM.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I earned 27 PQDs on NRT-JFK last October.

Fare mistakes are fun.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Tblack15
YQ would be included.. I doubt you'd ever see $1 worth of PQD/RDM.
In this case, the YQ worked out to be zero. Total ticket cost was something like $250 all-in, including an "excursionist perk" in SE Asia.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
An previous thread discussed http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-highest.html for a single segment.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tryathlete
Today I realized with only $146 EQD for a flight from ORD-PVG I scored a whopping 1606 miles for the leg. As a 1K, the old system provided 14,112.

Could it be any worse?
With the money you saved on the fare, buy some miles if that is important to you.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tryathlete

Could it be any worse?
And using a 1.5 cpm, in the old system, you earned the equivalence of $212 in miles while UA received $146 for the flight, so UA would have paid you $66 to make the trip. Wonder why UA changed the system?

You can change the cpm to your liking, but UA realized it was rewarding deep discount elites flyers too much -- they were money losers. You were just following the UA rules and UA changed the rules to address the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.