Fewest FF miles for longest distance

Reply

Old Jul 27, 17, 10:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Posts: 883
Fewest FF miles for longest distance

Today I realized with only $146 EQD for a flight from ORD-PVG I scored a whopping 1606 miles for the leg. As a 1K, the old system provided 14,112.

Could it be any worse?

Last edited by tryathlete; Jul 27, 17 at 10:28 pm Reason: Reversed route by mistake
tryathlete is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 17, 11:36 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Portland OR & Bangkok
Programs: United GS, SPG & Marriott Platinum
Posts: 591
Ouch!

And a general member would only get 730
kittiyut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 17, 11:40 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Posts: 1,670
Fare sales would be the reason why the fares are so cheap and the majority are taxes.

My friend has the following coming up:
San Francisco, CA (SFO)-Tokyo, Japan (HND - Haneda)
PQD: $49
RDM (for him): 245
Old RDM: 5160
He's a general member.

Last edited by laxmillenial; Jul 28, 17 at 4:42 am
laxmillenial is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 17, 11:49 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: SoCal
Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Plat
Posts: 917
How cheap were the tickets??

It's obvious they're incentivising paying more for your tickets, that's for sure.
warrenw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 17, 11:51 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CAK/CLE
Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Gold,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Posts: 628
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
Fare sales would be the reason why the fares are so cheap and the majority are taxes.

My friend has the following coming up:
San Francisco, CA (SFO)-Tokyo, Japan (HND - Haneda)
PQD: $49
PQM (for him): 245
Old PQM: 5160
He's a general member.
PQMs are not affected by the spend calculation, right? RDMs are the base fare multiplied, but PQMs should still be as before (distance, 500 miles minimum for Premiers).

So a cheap fare for a long distance would rack up good PQMs and puny RDMs (and few PQDs). Inverse for expensive short flights (few PQMs, good PQDs, good RDMs). Neither alone is great for achieving status; at least the Accelerator or PQM/PQS purchase offers allow someone with high spend on short flights a way to even things out. People flying $49 base fares SFO-HND and back will earn plenty of PQMs but come up way short on PQDs and either have to spend way more or use a credit card exemption from PQDs.
UAzip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 17, 11:54 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Posts: 883
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
How cheap were the tickets??

It's obvious they're incentivising paying more for your tickets, that's for sure.
The leg was $346--more taxes than fare!
tryathlete is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 12:30 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 9,278
I've priced but not flown an LAX-BKK that would earn 1 PQD (if I recall). I think it routed LAX-NRT-BKK with a base fare of $0.50. I don't have the tolerance to go that far in Y though, so I don't have anything that low actually posted.
findark is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 3:16 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,319
I got about 10 miles for a TATL segment last year. It was priced at $2 or so.
br2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 4:41 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Posts: 1,670
Originally Posted by UAzip View Post
PQMs are not affected by the spend calculation, right? RDMs are the base fare multiplied, but PQMs should still be as before (distance, 500 miles minimum for Premiers).

So a cheap fare for a long distance would rack up good PQMs and puny RDMs (and few PQDs). Inverse for expensive short flights (few PQMs, good PQDs, good RDMs). Neither alone is great for achieving status; at least the Accelerator or PQM/PQS purchase offers allow someone with high spend on short flights a way to even things out. People flying $49 base fares SFO-HND and back will earn plenty of PQMs but come up way short on PQDs and either have to spend way more or use a credit card exemption from PQDs.
You're right. This is what happens when I stay up too late. I'll edit my post Sorry!
laxmillenial is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 6:43 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: KCMO < PHL<DEN<SCL<EZE<CHO<PHL<ABE
Programs: Gold: UA, SPG
Posts: 918
Originally Posted by findark View Post
I've priced but not flown an LAX-BKK that would earn 1 PQD (if I recall). I think it routed LAX-NRT-BKK with a base fare of $0.50. I don't have the tolerance to go that far in Y though, so I don't have anything that low actually posted.
YQ would be included.. I doubt you'd ever see $1 worth of PQD/RDM.
Tblack15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 7:28 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,097
I earned 27 PQDs on NRT-JFK last October.

Fare mistakes are fun.
sbm12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 11:38 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 9,278
Originally Posted by Tblack15 View Post
YQ would be included.. I doubt you'd ever see $1 worth of PQD/RDM.
In this case, the YQ worked out to be zero. Total ticket cost was something like $250 all-in, including an "excursionist perk" in SE Asia.
findark is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 12:53 pm
  #13  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 46,822
An previous thread discussed http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-highest.html for a single segment.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 3:07 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: JAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,374
Originally Posted by tryathlete View Post
Today I realized with only $146 EQD for a flight from ORD-PVG I scored a whopping 1606 miles for the leg. As a 1K, the old system provided 14,112.

Could it be any worse?
With the money you saved on the fare, buy some miles if that is important to you.
TomMM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 3:41 pm
  #15  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 46,822
Originally Posted by tryathlete View Post
Today I realized with only $146 EQD for a flight from ORD-PVG I scored a whopping 1606 miles for the leg. As a 1K, the old system provided 14,112.

Could it be any worse?
And using a 1.5 cpm, in the old system, you earned the equivalence of $212 in miles while UA received $146 for the flight, so UA would have paid you $66 to make the trip. Wonder why UA changed the system?

You can change the cpm to your liking, but UA realized it was rewarding deep discount elites flyers too much -- they were money losers. You were just following the UA rules and UA changed the rules to address the situation.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread