FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Fewest FF miles for longest distance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1857125-fewest-ff-miles-longest-distance.html)

tryathlete Jul 27, 2017 10:27 pm

Fewest FF miles for longest distance

Today I realized with only $146 EQD for a flight from ORD-PVG I scored a whopping 1606 miles for the leg. As a 1K, the old system provided 14,112.

Could it be any worse?

kittiyut Jul 27, 2017 11:36 pm

Ouch!

And a general member would only get 730 :( :(

laxmillenial Jul 27, 2017 11:40 pm

Fare sales would be the reason why the fares are so cheap and the majority are taxes.

My friend has the following coming up:
San Francisco, CA (SFO)-Tokyo, Japan (HND - Haneda)
PQD: $49
RDM (for him): 245
Old RDM: 5160
He's a general member.

warrenw Jul 27, 2017 11:49 pm

How cheap were the tickets??

It's obvious they're incentivising paying more for your tickets, that's for sure.

UAzip Jul 27, 2017 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 28617822)
Fare sales would be the reason why the fares are so cheap and the majority are taxes.

My friend has the following coming up:
San Francisco, CA (SFO)-Tokyo, Japan (HND - Haneda)
PQD: $49
PQM (for him): 245
Old PQM: 5160
He's a general member.

PQMs are not affected by the spend calculation, right? RDMs are the base fare multiplied, but PQMs should still be as before (distance, 500 miles minimum for Premiers).

So a cheap fare for a long distance would rack up good PQMs and puny RDMs (and few PQDs). Inverse for expensive short flights (few PQMs, good PQDs, good RDMs). Neither alone is great for achieving status; at least the Accelerator or PQM/PQS purchase offers allow someone with high spend on short flights a way to even things out. People flying $49 base fares SFO-HND and back will earn plenty of PQMs but come up way short on PQDs and either have to spend way more or use a credit card exemption from PQDs.

tryathlete Jul 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by warrenw (Post 28617851)
How cheap were the tickets??

It's obvious they're incentivising paying more for your tickets, that's for sure.

The leg was $346--more taxes than fare!

findark Jul 28, 2017 12:30 am

I've priced but not flown an LAX-BKK that would earn 1 PQD (if I recall). I think it routed LAX-NRT-BKK with a base fare of $0.50. I don't have the tolerance to go that far in Y though, so I don't have anything that low actually posted.

br2k Jul 28, 2017 3:16 am

I got about 10 miles for a TATL segment last year. It was priced at $2 or so.

laxmillenial Jul 28, 2017 4:41 am

Originally Posted by UAzip (Post 28617853)
PQMs are not affected by the spend calculation, right? RDMs are the base fare multiplied, but PQMs should still be as before (distance, 500 miles minimum for Premiers).

So a cheap fare for a long distance would rack up good PQMs and puny RDMs (and few PQDs). Inverse for expensive short flights (few PQMs, good PQDs, good RDMs). Neither alone is great for achieving status; at least the Accelerator or PQM/PQS purchase offers allow someone with high spend on short flights a way to even things out. People flying $49 base fares SFO-HND and back will earn plenty of PQMs but come up way short on PQDs and either have to spend way more or use a credit card exemption from PQDs.

You're right. This is what happens when I stay up too late. I'll edit my post :) Sorry!

Tblack15 Jul 28, 2017 6:43 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 28617915)
I've priced but not flown an LAX-BKK that would earn 1 PQD (if I recall). I think it routed LAX-NRT-BKK with a base fare of $0.50. I don't have the tolerance to go that far in Y though, so I don't have anything that low actually posted.

YQ would be included.. I doubt you'd ever see $1 worth of PQD/RDM.

sbm12 Jul 28, 2017 7:28 am

I earned 27 PQDs on NRT-JFK last October.

Fare mistakes are fun.

findark Jul 28, 2017 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Tblack15 (Post 28618671)
YQ would be included.. I doubt you'd ever see $1 worth of PQD/RDM.

In this case, the YQ worked out to be zero. Total ticket cost was something like $250 all-in, including an "excursionist perk" in SE Asia.

WineCountryUA Jul 28, 2017 12:53 pm

An previous thread discussed http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-highest.html for a single segment.

TomMM Jul 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by tryathlete (Post 28617671)
Today I realized with only $146 EQD for a flight from ORD-PVG I scored a whopping 1606 miles for the leg. As a 1K, the old system provided 14,112.

Could it be any worse?

With the money you saved on the fare, buy some miles if that is important to you.

WineCountryUA Jul 28, 2017 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by tryathlete (Post 28617671)

Could it be any worse?

And using a 1.5 cpm, in the old system, you earned the equivalence of $212 in miles while UA received $146 for the flight, so UA would have paid you $66 to make the trip. Wonder why UA changed the system?

You can change the cpm to your liking, but UA realized it was rewarding deep discount elites flyers too much -- they were money losers. You were just following the UA rules and UA changed the rules to address the situation.