Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

LAX Lounge

I'm flying from AKL to EWR via LAX on Air New Zealand and United. I'm traveling on business class for all lugs. Unfortunately I have a bit of a layover in LAX. I was wondering if I still would have access to Tom Bradley lounge In LAX so that I could take a shower after the long trek or if there are other alternatives. Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Nztravel99
I'm flying from AKL to EWR via LAX on Air New Zealand and United. I'm traveling on business class for all lugs. Unfortunately I have a bit of a layover in LAX. I was wondering if I still would have access to Tom Bradley lounge In LAX so that I could take a shower after the long trek or if there are other alternatives. Thanks.
Do you have any Star Alliance status? If not, the general answer will be no for TBIT.

However, the TBIT *A lounge is operated by NZ and they may have a special access rule for their customers.

Are you taking the non-stop from LAX to EWR? if so, then you will have access to the UA UC lounges in T7 -- where the UA flight will depart. Generally domestic first/business does not have UC access but this is one of a few special routes that do. However, the UC don't have showers.

Note in LAX you will have to clear customs and immigration for the USA. You will then need to re-entry security and then you will have airside access to TBIT, T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The OP could also consider changing to an earlier UA flight after landing (even using the app) before rechecking bags. The only issue may be availability of United Business on the day of the flight.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Why would he not be able to access TBIT lounge? Only united doesn't let their J/F domestics not access their lounges. When I fly united domestic F I can still access other *A lounges. (Have not tried TBIT @LAX specifically).
Also holding a same-day arrival international business ticket.
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pprrff
Why would he not be able to access TBIT lounge? Only united doesn't let their J/F domestics not access their lounges. When I fly united domestic F I can still access other *A lounges. (Have not tried TBIT @LAX specifically).
I think you are confusing *A member lounges with *A lounges. For example, a United Club is a *A member lounge. The TBIT lounge is a Star Alliance lounge. What Star Alliance Lounge besides TBIT are you referring to? TBIT Star Alliance lounge is the only one in the United States, but there's lot of member lounges. Access rules are different between the a Star Alliance lounge and *A member lounges.

I can see why some lounge entry agents might face some angry customers who think they know the rules. It is difficult to keep things straight *A lounge vs *A member lounge, arrivals vs departure, etc. Having *A G status allows one access without having to figure out how access was really granted. The assumed access method (arriving *A business) might be completely different than how access was actually accommodated (*A G departure).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 27, 2017 at 4:13 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Agree, 100%.

When I travel on all UA legs in business class for international travel I can use the lounge for domestic lounges - both when leaving the USA and when I return to the USA. (I did this for my son when he did not have status and was traveling by himself.)

Not sure if OP wants to use the UA lounge but he will be able to access as long as he shows it is the one reservation.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Agree, 100%.

When I travel on all UA legs in business class for international travel I can use the lounge for domestic lounges - both when leaving the USA and when I return to the USA. (I did this for my son when he did not have status and was traveling by himself.)

Not sure if OP wants to use the UA lounge but he will be able to access as long as he shows it is the one reservation.
Well, you are certainly free to misunderstand 100% of the rule

Unlike a United Club, entry to a Star Alliance lounge such as TBIT is based solely on your departing flight - the manner of your arrival is not pertinent in any way. It is a DEPARTURE LOUNGE. If you arrive in Int'l Business, it DOES NOT (in itself) provide access. If the departing flight is on United domestic, *A G does provides access - NOT the arriving int'l business flight. It's slightly different for a UA *A lounge with arrival on UA metal in business - the arrival on UA, in itself, provides access to the UC. OP gets access to UC based on p.s. flight alone - not even sure why you think he has to show one reservation - not relevant.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 27, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Why would he not be able to access TBIT lounge? Only united doesn't let their J/F domestics not access their lounges. When I fly united domestic F I can still access other *A lounges. (Have not tried TBIT LAX specifically).
Agree, 100%.

For those with *G status but OP did not mention status (although the question was asked in post after the OP).

In the past sometimes inherit status on awards would work, but that is gone now.

*A rules are based on departure status.
UA rules if arriving on a UA international premium cabin flight allow UC access
LH lounge has been know to allow UA domestic F enter but that is a very gray area.

Based on the information the OP provided, OP made not mention having status, arriving NZ international business, and likely connecting to PS/Premium Transcontential business LAX-EWR
That is no access to TBIT unless NZ (lounge operator but not branded NZ) does something for their cusotmers.
Likely access to UC due the LAX-EWR flight.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The Star Alliance lounge at LAX does not allow access for UA domestic First. It would be interesting to see if they did for UA Business (which is what LAX-EWR is), but I wouldn't hold your breath...

There is an entire thread on accessing this lounge at LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Which is unfortunately not relevant (at least not officially) as none of the lounges at LAX are arrival lounges.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Has anyone been turned away with a p.s. ticket? Given that United allows lounge access (to its own lounges, anyway) on the ticket, it would be an interesting test case that might be different than a normal F ticket.

At a minimum, the NZ flight should arrive at TBIT and barring any clear information here I would definitely re-clear security at TBIT and pop upstairs to see if I could talk my way in. Worst case you get a "no" and walk down (airside) to T7 for the UC (no showers though).

But yeah, I think the biggest benefit of *G is that it fills in holes like this.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by findark
Has anyone been turned away with a p.s. ticket? Given that United allows lounge access (to its own lounges, anyway) on the ticket, it would be an interesting test case that might be different than a normal F ticket.
I can't imagine they would, as UA granting lounge access for PS tickets is their own internal exception to the lounge access policy.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, when you travel on UA metal in business class, the UCs can be used as arrival lounges. That's UA's expanded access for its own international J pax.
But OP is not flying UA international J, so this doesn't apply for him.

Similarly, as a *G, you can access the *A lounge at TBIT on a domestic UA departure. But that's based on *G status and a *G departure, not an international arrival. OP is not *G, so this doesn't apply for him either.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I can't imagine they would, as UA granting lounge access for PS tickets is their own internal exception to the lounge access policy.
Alternatively, p.s. flights are not part of the exception which bars UA domestic premium pax from using lounges (UA is the only *A airline with this restriction). Or you could say that UA bars its own F pax from using its own lounges, and the *A lounge is uncertain territory (e.g. LH allows access for non-*G in UA F). It all depends on you look at it

Hence why without confirmation I would at least try it. The TBIT lounge is great!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. New to this and United so the abbreviations above are all foreign but it sounds like without special United status, I'll at least be able to walk up to the lounge and that my best bet is to ask very kindly.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nztravel99
Thanks for all the responses. New to this and United so the abbreviations above are all foreign but it sounds like without special United status, I'll at least be able to walk up to the lounge and that my best bet is to ask very kindly.
Yeah, United FlyerTalk forum could use an abbreviation wiki...

*A Star Alliance
*G Star Alliance Gold status (higher United statuses translate to *G, not sure how NZ's statuses translate to Star Alliance statuses).
p.s./PS is United's term for flight's between San Francisco/Los Angeles and Newark/Boston - the only domestic routes that accord domestic passengers United Club access
UC United Club
TBIT Tom Bradley Int'l Terminal
Int'l International
T7 Terminal 7

In the likely case you are denied entrance to the TBIT *A Lounge, DO NOT exit security to get to T7. At the same level as the lounge, head south and you'll see a walkway to T4, then you'll look for the tunnel that passes under the tarmac to T5 and T6, then up the escalator to find the walkway to T7. If you exit security, you'd have to take the bus to T7 (or make a 15 minute walk to it) and go through security again.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 28, 2017 at 10:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.