Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Input port next to screen on 787

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Input port next to screen on 787

Does anyone know what this port is for on the 787? It's right next the screen in business class on the 787-9. The flight attendants did not seem to know.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
I was told you could use an s-video cable from your laptop and have dual screen or watch a laptop movie without the laptop in your lap.... but I never confirmed that
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
That looks like it's for the old iPod cables. You used to be able to store a movie on your iPod and watch it during flight.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
That looks like it's for the old iPod cables. You used to be able to store a movie on your iPod and watch it during flight.
UA provided this (and sold a $39 cable) to hook up the 1st generation iPods w video. I used it quite often and worked well.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Imstevek
UA provided this (and sold a $39 cable) to hook up the 1st generation iPods w video. I used it quite often and worked well.
Dredging thru the archives find this
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12125659-post73.html

The iPod cable was avialable as a buy-on board accessory -- but all that predated the 787's. It was for the sUA IPTE seats.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Same eXport iPod connector (that no one uses) still being installed today. For some reason Panasonic Avionics still has it as an option and UA took it.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: UA, AS
I guess we do not have many AA flyers here. I googled and AA has this too.

American’s new 777-300ER: Connecting your iPad, iPod, iPhone or Laptop to the Entertainment System

In that article there is a link to a patent with the cable pinout to connect an iPod to it.

EP2201773 A1 - System and method for interfacing a portable media device with a vehicle information system
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by skimthetrees

American’s new 777-300ER: Connecting your iPad, iPod, iPhone or Laptop to the Entertainment System

In that article there is a link to a patent with the cable pinout to connect an iPod to it.

EP2201773 A1 - System and method for interfacing a portable media device with a vehicle information system
geeze. the original nintendo had composite video out. i think video input is unnecessary, but HDMI should have been implemented a decade ago.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Just as useless there, too.
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i think video input is unnecessary, but HDMI should have been implemented a decade ago.
This adapter also included the necessary DRM hardware required by Apple to support video-out functions. I'm not sure that HDMI options offered that.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Just as useless there, too.

This adapter also included the necessary DRM hardware required by Apple to support video-out functions. I'm not sure that HDMI options offered that.
HDMI has content protection (HDCP) built-in as part of the spec, but the connector is incredibly fragile and not really well suited for frequent connection/disconnection -- especially in a harsh environment like an aircraft.

(It is one of the banes of my professional existence)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by sbm12
Same eXport iPod connector (that no one uses) still being installed today. For some reason Panasonic Avionics still has it as an option and UA took it.
I guess it's still part of the spec for the UA version of the Diamond seat, so the 787-8/9s (including the -9 coming next month) still have it? It's not in the Polaris installs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.