Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

July 23 2017 UA898T Squawks 7700 and returns to IAH with a violent Pax

Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP

Being reported on LiveATC.net that UA 898T returned to IAH on 7/23/17 with a violent passenger who needed to be subdued.

Don't suppose we had a FTer on board. Would be interested in background?

Lurker
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Flifo from Sabre-

2UA898/23JUL«
UA RESPONSE
0898/23JUL
P AUS/OUT 805P L00.30 ‡
P AUS/OFF 822P
P IAH/ON 855P
P IAH/IN 900P L00.22 ‡
P IAH/OUT 939P E00.04 ‡
P IAH/OFF 954P
P MSY/ON 1039P
P MSY/IN 1042P E00.10 ‡

Maybe a different flight #?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, DL 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
It was the 7/22 UA898 flight. Female passenger freaked out and charged the cockpit.

http://abc13.com/news/unruly-passenger-forces-united-flights-return-to-houston/2244104/

No truth to the rumor that she was set off by UA telling her she had to take a different (but equivalent) seat than what she had selected in advance of the flight.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Maybe a different flight #?
It was using callsign United 898T.

LiveATC recording although it's missing much of the UA side of the conversation early on - https://forums.liveatc.net/index.php....0;attach=9495

The pilots description of the event was a "Security thread. A violent passenger had to be subdued and so in accordance with company procedures we're supposed to declare an emergency and squawk 7700"
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
For such a short flight that was already about halfway to destination, why didn't it just continue to New Orleans?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
For such a short flight that was already about halfway to destination, why didn't it just continue to New Orleans?
IAH was marginally closer at the time of the diversion: ~105nm vs ~160nm.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I personally know someone who was onboard with her family. Strange I heard about the entire thing on the phone Sunday morning before it made press. Shocked it took so long.

Indicates plane was delayed due to WX for a few hours.
Finally, took off and briefly at cruising altitude. Lady ran towards front and starting hitting the flight attendant (don't know if seated or standing), yelling some crazy things.

Premium passengers grabbed, and kept her down. Oddly, the flight was only going to MSY but turned around back to IAH (probably because it is a hub vs. smaller MSY).
Plane took off a few hours later.

Not sure what happened to FA assaulted.

As I told my friend after landing in MSY (final destination) after a prior flight (a couple of years ago) mishap which had a bomb threat from EWR. The airport seemed ill-prepared for the emergency and not sure they have the on-hand resources to deal with such scenarios. We (passengers) were quanrantine approximately 4 hrs to exit, interview, inspection after a bomb threat for a regional aircraft mid-afternoon on a Sat. Consider, this was delayed and landing late Sat evening- I think it was the right choice if additional handling was necessary upon arrival but no clue what UA operations dictated. If someone has ATC comms it should be clear.

Considering FA was assaulted - maybe best to get her back to hub if the aircraft was scheduled to turn-around in MSY as she wouldn't make the return flight seeking medical attention which would cancel the flight without replacement staff available locally.
crjtraveler likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 25, 2017 at 3:14 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:43 am

I just joined this forum. I was on UA898 that night. I was about 2/3 back in the cabin sitting on the aisle and heard a commotion behind me. It was late and I was dozing but it woke me up. She came storming by me pounding her fists in the air repeating "we are not doing this". A couple of guys in front of me got up to follow her. The next thing I heard we were diverting back to Houston.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Welcome to FT & thanks for the info!

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.