Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it vigilance or OCD to check inventory every 5 minutes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

My husband and I are booked ZRH-ORD-LAX. It's a MP Business Saver award. LX segment in I, UA in NX.

UA's inventory was F3A3 - and all other 1st class inventory/ upgrades 0. Upgrade list was quite long.

Then the inventory became F1A1.

Then F0A0. Upgrade list longer.

Then, after I boarded the LX flight, I saw that inventory changed to F1A1I1P1R1. I called UA, asked them to split the record, and put my husband if F. "No problem" they said!

Again, I checked every five minutes. About three checks later, again it was F1A1I1 .... So again I called, and got the last F class seat.

Did we jump the line? No - because we weren't looking to get an upgrade. We were looking for inventory in the cabin for which we paid (in miles). But had I not checked, the seat would have gone either to those on the upgrade list or a SDC or a last minute revenue (on miles) ticket.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zrs70
Did we jump the line? No - because we weren't looking to get an upgrade. We were looking for inventory in the cabin for which we paid (in miles).
I'd say yes. How do you know someone else with higher priority wasn't in the exact same situation?

But had I not checked, the seat would have gone either to those on the upgrade list or a SDC or a last minute revenue (on miles) ticket.
Assuming facts not in evidence.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'd say yes. How do you know someone else with higher priority wasn't in the exact same situation?
But there was no priority. Even if a UGS had a standard award, but was in the same situation, there is no waitlist - as it's not an upgrade situation.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
My rule of thumb is that if you spend more time looking for the inventory & phoning in the change than you actually spend on board the aircraft, you are looking too frequently.

I have broken this rule several times.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
But there was no priority. Even if a UGS had a standard award, but was in the same situation, there is no waitlist - as it's not an upgrade situation.
How can there not be a priority? Do you think they have a geek with a 20-sided die in the back room to decide who gets the seat? There is most definitely a priority to the list, but it seems you've already made up your mind and are seeking validation.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
How can there not be a priority? Do you think they have a geek with a 20-sided die in the back room to decide who gets the seat? There is most definitely a priority to the list, but it seems you've already made up your mind and are seeking validation.
Isn't there a guy there with the die? LOL! Thanks for the smile.... I need that on a long day of travel!

I agree - when there's a list, there is a priority. But when there is no list that I am able to be on ....

Look - if someone paid for Y and wants to upgrade to F, they are on a list.

But as I paid for F, but am relegated to Y because the inventory wasn't originally there, am I still jumping ahead?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K

Isn't there a guy there with the die? LOL! Thanks for the smile.... I need that on a long day of travel!

I agree - when there's a list, there is a priority. But when there is no list that I am able to be on ....

Look - if someone paid for Y and wants to upgrade to F, they are on a list.

But as I paid for F, but am relegated to Y because the inventory wasn't originally there, am I still jumping ahead?
Other than seat poaching once on board, get into F by any means possible, I say. Good work.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
removed comment on no I/IN

Give me F for reading skills, the OP did report I inventory was available in the later part of the post (sorry for my reading error)

So it was legit per the "rules" (unless there were other I/IN waitlisters -- suspect low likelihood of that)

UA's lack of instant inventory processing creates these issues.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 23, 2017 at 11:16 am
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So sounds like you got lucky and got an agent to clear your waitlist without the appropriate inventory.
According to the OP, there was I1 in both cases.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by mherdeg
My rule of thumb is that if you spend more time looking for the inventory & phoning in the change than you actually spend on board the aircraft, you are looking too frequently.

I accept the general principle, but introduce some kind of sliding scale the closer one gets to T-0.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I have been in situations where 1 segment of my domestic F award was in XN, and there was F availability for upgrade prior to boarding. However, since the award was issued with the segment in XN, I was not able to get the F seat. Both gate agent and 1K agent weren't able to help.

You're lucky to have been able to get the 2 F seats.

I also had international F award TG F BKK-FRA, then LH C FRA-IAD. When we landed in FRA, I checked and saw LH F space availability for UA award. I called 1K desk and had the tickets reissued to LH F.

Your issue is what is considered a reasonable frequency of inventory check. You're the only one who can answer that question. If you succeed as in this case, then it was worth it.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have done this before during irops. Checked every 5 mins while sitting at the bar with 2 colleagues. After about 2 hours I had seats for all of us on the earlier flight ... as soon as Y1 became available I rebooked one at a time. perfectly legit way to work things out IMO.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

To lose an upgrade is never fun. But to sit in Y when you paid for C or F ...
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Within T-24? Definitely vigilance.

Meh. I was just going to be reading reddit (or FT) with that time anyway
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

That is funny and unfortunately I can relate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.