Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why not Reverse food/bev service on 1/2 flights?

Old Jul 23, 17, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Miles

I guess with the advent of E- and pricing differentials in coach based on price, this is probabbly never going to happen now, but it would be nice if they would alternate between serving from from front to rear and vice versa.

For various reasons, when traveling with family, we are nearly always end at the back of the bus, and somehow always end up choosing the items that are no longer on the snack/meal menu. Understand they can't carry enough for everyone every time, but it would be nice if, for example westbound they served from front, eastbound from rear.

Kudos and karma to the FA who took pity on me after not able to get first or second choice of item, but was geniuinely apologetic, and came back with a small extra to make things better. If that was a UA backed empowerment, that was a nice plus, after an earlier gate experience.
Old Jul 23, 17, 1:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dcbarry View Post
I guess with the advent of E- and pricing differentials in coach based on price, this is probabbly never going to happen now, but it would be nice if they would alternate between serving from from front to rear and vice versa. ...
With the majority of elites in the front of economy / E+, this is not going to happen. Any hint of this would create a massive backlash. There is no win for UA in doing this and major negative for UA's most regular customers.

More stocking of non-perishables is the best you could hope for.
Old Jul 23, 17, 1:11 am

Programs: UA Plat, DL FO, HH Gold, MR Gold
There may be a practical reason carts roll toward the front and start-and-stop toward the back: the pitch of the plane. It's probably easier to keep a moving cart rolling uphill--toward the front--and then use gravity to help with the start-and-stops, than to constantly need to get that momentum moving uphill again.
Old Jul 23, 17, 2:29 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
PMUA used to do this in domestic F. The direction of service (generally) varied depending on wether it was an odd or even numbered flight.

If I was facing sitting in Y in the back of the bus with a family I would be proactive and pack my own grub, benefits being: cheaper, healthier, more choices, assured availability.

SL
Old Jul 23, 17, 2:34 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Kimpton IC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by SunLover View Post
PMUA used to do this in domestic F. The direction of service (generally) varied depending on wether it was an odd or even numbered flight.
When? 10-15 years ago, or more? AA was the FEBO airline. PMUA did the status rankings. 4 stars for GS, 3 stars for 1K and paid F, 2 stars for 1P/*G upgraded, 1 star for 2P/*S upgraded, etc. Then it would be front to back.
Old Jul 23, 17, 4:02 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; DL Plat; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Marriott Plat; Global Entry
LH uses smaller carts and multiple carts. In other words, they'll have a cart start at the front of Economy and a second cart start halfway through Economy. Both will move toward the back of the plane.
Old Jul 23, 17, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA peon
Why not increase the stock of items which are being sold out of instead of forcing hungry people to buy something they don't really want or not buying anything at all.
Old Jul 23, 17, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
Why not increase the stock of items which are being sold out of instead of forcing hungry people to buy something they don't really want or not buying anything at all.
I'd imagine the airlines incur some cost for transporting food/bev items, and any item unsold on a flight costs UA some $.
Old Jul 23, 17, 8:46 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K, AA EXP 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
+1, although UA probably doesn't realize they are running out because there's no mechanism to record that x passengers tried to order something that was out of stock.
Old Jul 23, 17, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA peon
Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post
I'd imagine the airlines incur some cost for transporting food/bev items, and any item unsold on a flight costs UA some $.
Insignificant imo especially since it is an item which will be sold (as oppose to hundreds of copies of Hemisphere magazines). What is the true cost to fly 10 pounds os snacks?
I agree with CatBert10, United doesn't have a way to know what is being sold.
Old Jul 23, 17, 9:24 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by sannmann View Post
LH uses smaller carts and multiple carts. In other words, they'll have a cart start at the front of Economy and a second cart start halfway through Economy. Both will move toward the back of the plane.
LH doesn't have a buy on board like UA, usually it is not the drinks that run out but a food item.

I usually try and plan ahead and get a meal at the airport and bring it on to the plane, usually higher quality and more food.
Old Jul 23, 17, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA could, of course, start service at the rear, increase the number of carts, and any number of things. But, the chances that it will stiff theoretically more "valuable" fliers, e.g. those who are in E+ through status or paid seat assignment, is zero. If someone is going to end up with the short end of the stick, it won't be E+.

As to increasing stock, while UA does not have an absolute metric, it of course tests increased supplies until it hits a point where it can't sell. While chips and the like don't wind up in the trash bin, anything fresh (sort of) goes in the bin at the end of the flight for food safety reasons.

Safest for OP's situation is to bring with whatever it is that you want. Given the quality & variety available at many airports, even if flying domestic F, it's often better to buy what you want.
Old Jul 24, 17, 10:38 am

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
+1, although UA probably doesn't realize they are running out because there's no mechanism to record that x passengers tried to order something that was out of stock.
Yeah, it's not like they charge for each snack box and run the payment card through a handheld mechanism . . .

For domestic flights where it flies multiple stops a day, it seems they could stock more fully and restock as needed at each stop. Should be easy enough to have the phones communicate with ground ops "we need 20 more of the cheese boxes, 10 more of the gummi bear boxes, and no more of the healthy food box".
Old Jul 24, 17, 12:16 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
I am almost always in the first 2-3 rows of E+, so generally am able to order the food selection I want. Recently, however, I found myself in the exit row on a string of flights, and on every flight they had run out of nearly all the fresh options by the time they reached the exit row. I understand wanting to avoid spoilage, but that's just absurd.
Old Jul 24, 17, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
How about this - have enough for a high probability that everyone will get their choice. Then go back through a second time, offering seconds. Maybe even at a discount. I would think the net sales from that flight, less spoilage, plus higher customer satisfaction, would be greater than the current "stock 50-75% of what you might sell to be sure you never have leftovers of the fresh food."