Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires change of airports (016 ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

Hi folks,

I recently booked a trip to Argentina which requires a change of airports both ways in Buenos Aires from AEP to EZE. The flights in/out of AEP are on AR and in/out of EZE with UA. The entire trip is booked on a single 016 ticket.

My question is how UA handles mis-connections in these change of airport scenarios. If UA arrives late to EZE and I miss my onward flight from AEP, are they obliged to rebook me just like a normal missed connection scenario? I've done change of airports before in Tokyo and Bangkok, but never with United.

For information, the entire itinerary is YYZ-IAH-EZE (UA) // AEP-FTE (AR) // USH-AEP (AR) // EZE-IAH-YYZ (UA). Does anyone know if United has a published MCT for this airport change and if so where I would find it?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:39 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
From my understanding of the EF MCT page for BUE, it seems to show 4:00 for AEP-EZE using AR to an international flight. Happy to be corrected! Couldn't see specific UA references.

IME, the run from AEP to EZE can be very easy or not easy and long - not much between the two. I'd only be comfortable if I had 5 hours or more between flights.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eigenvector
My question is how UA handles mis-connections in these change of airport scenarios. If UA arrives late to EZE and I miss my onward flight from AEP, are they obliged to rebook me just like a normal missed connection scenario?
Yes, but getting someone to help, especially if the miss is a traffic problem, could prove challenging.

MCT is 4 hours inbound ( I:D ) and 3 hours outbound ( D:I ).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
The key will be the time of day when you are making your cross-airport connections. Rush hour is a lot worse than off-peak. See traffic map

But it is good you are one ticket. You should be protected if a misconnect occurs. I will be doing this connection on separate tickets in February (can't combine award travel on UA with revenue travel on AR ). I have 5:50 hours to do it, but it will be rush hour, so am nervous. Good luck, and enjoy Patagonia.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:42 am

I misconnected on USH-AEP/EZE-IAH once due to a strike on Aerolineas. I called UA from USH and they put me on the Copa flight to PTY. So even though it was an AR issue UA handled it very well for me.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:05 am

i once had a taxi driver take me between the two and totally scam me, took me for an hour+ ride for $100+, so be careful
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Thanks everyone for your help. I've got 5.5 hours each way but it's good to know I'm protected if one of the flights get delayed. Hopefully the traffic gods are in my favour!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dag16
i once had a taxi driver take me between the two and totally scam me, took me for an hour+ ride for $100+, so be careful
Those in the know line up a remise instead of a random cab in Argentina.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, but getting someone to help, especially if the miss is a traffic problem, could prove challenging.

MCT is 4 hours inbound ( I:D ) and 3 hours outbound ( D:I ).
If the issue occurs on the inbound, which carrier is supposed to resolve the issue? The carrier delivering the passenger or the carrier receiving the passenger?

I ask because in this case if UA is running a little late, you hurry to get to AEP but still miss your connecting flight onward, there's no United presence to help resolve your misconnect. If, that is, it's the responsibility of the carrier who delivered the passenger late to resolve the issue.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cmdinnyc
If the issue occurs on the inbound, which carrier is supposed to resolve the issue? The carrier delivering the passenger or the carrier receiving the passenger?
The delivering carrier always is responsible. The lack of UA presence at AEP is why I noted before that getting help if it is a traffic problem causing the delay would be troublesome.

The receiving carrier can help but it is not obligated to. Often it does but no guarantees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.