Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines president slams Frontier after $39 ticket announcement and vows

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX

Seems lower fares in short term for Denver? UA basic fares seems to be working (see news link)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...Dt7?li=BBnbfcL
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
That's considering "slamming?"
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
And that's what triggered Kirby's strong reply. Denver might be home base for Frontier, but it's also United's most profitable hub.
Is it just me, or does "United's most profitable hub" title seem to be a bit fluid?
Pretty sure I have seen EWR listed as such recently?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Is it just me, or does "United's most profitable hub" title seem to be a bit fluid?
They have said DEN is their most profitable hub for about a year or so.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joshwex90
That's considering "slamming?"
Listen to the audio transcript of the earnings call. Kirby was all sorts of revved up on this one. Like he was excited for the opportunity to crush Frontier. I was surprised by it in real-time

(as were other analysts/reporters listening to the call) and several stories written connote that feeling. This was far different from his energy over various other topics during the call or really since he's joined UA IMO.

Audio clip (I extracted this from the full call recording UA published on its site)
My take on Kirby's excitement over Frontier at Denver

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 20, 2017 at 10:11 am
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
They have said DEN is their most profitable hub for about a year or so.
I'm not sure that means squat... CLE was once called their most profitable hub. About 18 months before they shut it down.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Darlox
I'm not sure that means squat... CLE was once called their most profitable hub. About 18 months before they shut it down.
"Most" profitable? I don't doubt that CLE may have been called profitable, but I'd be surprised by "most profitable"... happy to be proven wrong, though!

The strength of the local DEN market, the greater domestic market in general, the orientation of DEN as a domestic connecting hub (with significant volume) and the somewhat recent renegotiation of UA's lease make the proclamation about DEN being United's most profitable hub reasonable, to me.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Maybe it's done the same way JD Powers gives everyone awards -- with asterisks and restrictions like "Most comfortable airline*", "*Fr flights within 500 and 750 miles". I see UA having a list like this:
  • Denver - United's most profitable hub*
    • *Of our hubs located above 5000 feet
  • Chicago - United's most profitable hub *
    • *Of our hubs with overcrowded business class only lounges.
  • Newark - United's most profitable hub *
    • *Of hubs within 100 miles of New York City

And of course we can't leave out Cleveland:
  • Cleveland - United's most profitable hub *
    • *Of our hubs that were dehubbed
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Maybe it's done the same way JD Powers gives everyone awards -- with asterisks and restrictions like "Most comfortable airline*", "*Fr flights within 500 and 750 miles".
Yes this seems to be a label they slap on as their purposes dictate . . . if they're cutting service, the hub is not profitable; if they're expanding, it's wildly profitable.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes this seems to be a label they slap on as their purposes dictate . . . if they're cutting service, the hub is not profitable; if they're expanding, it's wildly profitable.
No no - gotta remember Smisek-speak: If they are cutting service, it means that they are the monopoly at the location and want to make even more money. If they are expanding service, another airline is encroaching into their monopoly and they are going to "squash them like bug".

David
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:02 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Darlox
+1

Originally Posted by EWR764
"Most" profitable? I don't doubt that CLE may have been called profitable, but I'd be surprised by "most profitable"... happy to be proven wrong, though!

The strength of the local DEN market, the greater domestic market in general, the orientation of DEN as a domestic connecting hub (with significant volume) and the somewhat recent renegotiation of UA's lease make the proclamation about DEN being United's most profitable hub reasonable, to me.
Profit, as everyone here is well aware, is a very subjective metric without any context. Are you talking GP dollars or GP %? It wouldn't be difficult for a particular hub to be the "most profitable" in terms of GP % but not even close to being the "most profitable" when it comes to GP dollars.

Context is key and without it nothing really means anything.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
How do you calculate profit for one airport when all the airports operate together in a network? If it's $profit/passenger or $profit/RSM, or $profit/ASM, then all you have to do is look up the passenger count, revenue seat miles, or available seat miles out of every hub and then pick the highest one. I don't see that as particularly valuable. O&D profit, maybe, but the connecting passengers can't be ignored. Without them the airline ceases operations. Even Southwest has had connecting passengers for decades.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
How do you calculate profit for one airport when all the airports operate together in a network? If it's $profit/passenger or $profit/RSM, or $profit/ASM, then all you have to do is look up the passenger count, revenue seat miles, or available seat miles out of every hub and then pick the highest one. I don't see that as particularly valuable. O&D profit, maybe, but the connecting passengers can't be ignored. Without them the airline ceases operations. Even Southwest has had connecting passengers for decades.
I don't know the answer to this, but I assume the airline should have clever models for this. Similar to how they can determine (apparently) if a single route is profitable. Similar factors beyond the immediate point-to-point route are in play there.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I'm hoping it means some real bargain fares on United out of DEN. I'm hoping they don't just increase the difference between BE and Economy, because I'm not interested in BE.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:10 pm

Heh...apparently Kirby's rant worked. Bloomberg is now reporting that the pending Frontier IPO is being delayed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...east-september

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.