Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MHT vs BOS advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

MHT vs BOS advice

Looks like I'll be going SF Bay area to Nashua, NH on a regular basis this year.

MHT is 20 minutes from my location and BOS 50 minutes.

Does anyone have any experience with Winter ops in MHT? Do flights get in and out from ORD ok or do you think it's a safer bet to fly non stop SFO-BOS

(The PS lie flat is an advantage of course.)

FT wisdom much appreciated.

TIA
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Would you rather be stuck at home (SFO) or ORD if there is bad weather? Plus your connection in ORD with good weather is going to be a lot longer than the 30 min time difference.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
I have been caught in ORD delays several too many times. I am sure many FTers have also. Avoid ORD at all costs, when possible.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would have said MHT prior to July 1. Now, with premium service on the SFO-BOS route, I would take that with its lie flat seats and suffer the lousy drive from Logan to wherever you are headed.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
If you can fly business/First, flying SFO-BOS non stop is a no brainer

not to mention rental car selection at outposts generally stinks
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Even when I have to work in VT or NH I fly into BOS. It's just easier with the amount of flights, the club and rental options. If I time my flights right I can even avoid most of the dreaded Boston area traffic.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
If you can fly business/First, flying SFO-BOS non stop is a no brainer

not to mention rental car selection at outposts generally stinks
Even in Y, this is a no-brainer. Many more options and IRROPS recoveries in BOS versus MHT.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
10 years ago I would have said MHT for lower fares and easy in/out. Now, BOS. The fare advantage MHT used to have has IMHO disappeared. Frequencies are fewer, which means fewer irrops options for you. And TSA at MHT is in my experience very difficult to deal with. (Enplanements at MHT have been falling like a rock in recent years, for all these reasons and more. Pretty quiet there nowadays.)

Advantage BOS. And Nashua isn't 50 minutes away from Logan unless it's evening rush or bad weather... more like 30-35.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
If flying SFO-BOS UA offers their Cross-Country Comfort service; at the same time it also flies the domestic high density 777 planes which have the call buttons in the armrests. If you can't pick planes and/orwill be on red-eyes it might make sense to take VX, DL or B6.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all - BOS it is......
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:54 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
All of the above PLUS only regional jets go into MHT.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
I would have said MHT prior to July 1. Now, with premium service on the SFO-BOS route, I would take that with its lie flat seats and suffer the lousy drive from Logan to wherever you are headed.
+1. And you avoid ORD during weather issues. MHT is a super nice airport, but with p.s. on the BOS-SFO route ... go with BOS
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Being familiar with both I would agree that the majority of the time you will want BOS for all the reasons discussed above. However, look at the timing of your flights. If you arrive at BOS late afternoon (commute hours) and it is summer I would still CONSIDER MHT. That commute out of BOS can be a killer. Don't know the specific pricing now but I suspect BOS will be more competitive (Haven't flown into NHT in last couple of years) as others stated.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
I have had terrible luck flying in and out of MHT in general and now only do it if there is little or no chance of snow, it's a lot cheaper, AND I'm paying for it myself. The weather can be a lot worse. If you need to be de-iced, my husband and I have missed 100% of our connections. Even w/o de-icing, they are small planes and are a often held on the ground by ATC. I've also heard announcements at Logan looking for the Bus load of passengers from MHT... very few options if your flight is cancelled

A number of years ago, I asked my sister to fly out of MHT because it was easier for me to drop her off. Her morning flight was cancelled and the next one out was in the afternoon so she missed her meeting which was the reason she was on the East Coast in the first place. Ever since that experience, I always recommend that she fly to BOS when she comes to town. Bigger planes, more options when something does go wrong...
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: United Platinum
A small note in favor of MHT: car rentals out of BOS are in my experience always significantly more expensive than anywhere else in the area, including MHT where they tend to be quite inexpensive. Add that to the horrid traffic and difficult-to-navigate streets make me always wary of BOS unless using public transportation to get around or not having to pay the car rental myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.