Midyear PQM and PQS purchase promotion

Old Jul 18, 17, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Radisson Gold
Midyear PQM and PQS purchase promotion

I went to my father's status progress page today and saw an offer to buy PQM/PQS. Rates are pretty bad though, I wonder if the rates vary. Promotion is targeted, trying the same url on my account shows that I'm not eligible.

Promotion URL

Rates:
Attached Images  
Old Jul 18, 17, 6:21 pm
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Please tell me the money you spend on this counts towards PQD, and the PQMs count towards lifetime status.

This is already a rip off, but if above statement is not true, this is a HUGE rip off.
Old Jul 18, 17, 6:36 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by ToneDaBass View Post
I went to my father's status progress page today and saw an offer to buy PQM/PQS. Rates are pretty bad though, I wonder if the rates vary. Promotion is targeted, trying the same url on my account shows that I'm not eligible.

Promotion URL

Rates:
Rates do vary, mine are worse than that (for example, it's $170 for 1000 miles).
Old Jul 18, 17, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just looked at mine

Mine are little more expensive (~13%) than OP's but won't need 'em. And, no, they don't count towards PQDs, according to T&Cs.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 18, 17, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55 View Post
Please tell me the money you spend on this counts towards PQD, and the PQMs count towards lifetime status.

This is already a rip off, but if above statement is not true, this is a HUGE rip off.
no
and no

it is a ripoff. The only time I would recommend these schemes are if you are <3k away from Gold or higher status and plan to travel INTL next year.
Old Jul 18, 17, 6:56 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
The only time I would recommend these schemes are if you are <3k away from Gold or higher status and plan to travel INTL next year.
Just for lounge access? I'd pay $10 for that.
Old Jul 18, 17, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Mine are even worse....I'll requal 1K in 2 weeks, so not much need
Attached Images  
Old Jul 18, 17, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
2 bags @ 70lbs each for Gold too. Its more than just lounge access. But I agree, without PQDs this is a total ripoff. I never have a problem with PQM/PQS its the PQDs that have been biting me ever since they were introduced.
Old Jul 18, 17, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I got the same offer as Hipplewm, which so far is the worst value folks have posted here. I wonder what the algorithm is that determines the rates. In any event, I'd rather buy a ticket and actually go somewhere than to spend money simply for status.
Old Jul 18, 17, 7:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
I got the same offer as Hipplewm, which so far is the worst value folks have posted here. I wonder what the algorithm is that determines the rates. ....
My guess the higher your present PQMs, the higher the costs of more PQMs. As those PQMs would push you into higher with more "benefits" status bracket.

Originally Posted by drowelf View Post
...But I agree, without PQDs this is a total ripoff. ....
Not surprising -- these PQMs purchase offers have never counts toward PQMs. (or lifetime miles). So nothing new or different.
Old Jul 18, 17, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
My guess the higher your present PQMs, the higher the costs of more PQMs. As those PQMs would push you into higher with more "benefits" status bracket.

HOWEVER, typically my rates get cheaper on the accelerator thing they try and sell you before a flight as I gain status.....

I just think the IT dept stays drunk
Old Jul 18, 17, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
I got the same offer as Hipplewm, which so far is the worst value folks have posted here. I wonder what the algorithm is that determines the rates. In any event, I'd rather buy a ticket and actually go somewhere than to spend money simply for status.
+1

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post

Not surprising -- these PQMs purchase offers have never counts toward PQMs. (or lifetime miles). So nothing new or different.
+1

It's surprising to me that they just ramp up the price instead of having it tail off again. Seems like common sense that interest in PQM would diminish again at some point (e.g., at 100k).
Old Jul 18, 17, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
Had the same rates as yours. Not sure if I'll focus on UA enough for the rest of the year to requal for 1K, but certainly not buying my way there.
Old Jul 18, 17, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Considering that a $1200 RT SFO-BOS in P will accrue 10,816 PQM + 11,000 RDM (1K) + $1100 PQD this offer is a spectacularly awful deal.
Old Jul 19, 17, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
prebooking E+ seats for long flights (passenger +1), extra bag allowance on UA and *A, check in with Biz class lines at many *A stations, lounge access, a tiny bit more RDM.

not saying even all that is worth it but do a couple of trips and you can at least argue the point

in my case I did a 1,000 PQM purchase in '16 to keep Gold. That was an easier decision.

edit: actually I bought PQM via Accelerator not a separate promo. Those rates are closer to 10c/mile (I think $110 for my 1,000)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: