Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA vs DL....share your perspectives [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA vs DL....share your perspectives
Print Wikipost

UA vs DL....share your perspectives [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
While very true in the past - won't be necessarily true going forward 2/1/14 onward
People here seem to be missing this important point when saying how good mileage redemption is (WAS) on UA. Big difference now.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
People here seem to be missing this important point when saying how good mileage redemption is (WAS) on UA. Big difference now.
Only big change is for those seeking partner Faux Class experience.

International award travel is still almost cash free

Domestic completely unchanged and beats DL hands down.

Equating these two programs as now "on-par" is nonsense
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Only big change is for those seeking partner Faux Class experience.
Feel free to keep ignoring the ~40% increase in partner C too - IMO that's a "big change" :-:
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:16 pm

I haven't flown DL much, but I find their regional utilization interesting (i.e. cutting their regional fleet by 1/3 by 2015 I believe -- replaced with WN/FL 717s). UA seems to be slowly headed in a similar direction but way slower.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
I flew one DL paid F flight in September. It was hands down better than any experience in UA F in the last couple years, paid or upgraded.

Food was actually tasty. Service was great. Seat was comfortable, even in a Mad Dog. Also, I love Mad Dogs.

AA is comparable, but their Wi-Fi ran a lot better than Delta's did.

United has (had) the network. That's why I flew 50k with them this year. I was able to cop a paid C TATL on short notice for a pretty low fare for summertime.

United's always been my go-to TPAC, but they *barely* squeaked out the win on this last trip - only because of price. Better the devil you know, right? Now that they've gutted the TPAC and intra-Asia routes I care about, it's open season. I'll give EVA, Delta, or Cathay a try. I won't be giving NH Y a try, on either side of Japan. If they get smart and rein in their C fares, maybe...but then, I don't want to give Jeffro any more of my money.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:51 am
RNE

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Since my domestic flying is limited, I will stick w UA (as much as it pains me to) since Sky Team has nothing for me.
I am a former CO flyer who happened to like SkyTeam's European members, particularly KLM, Alitalia and to a lesser extent, Air France. While Star Alliance may be "stronger," I miss SkyTeam.

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Now that Jeff has made Mileage Plus worthless is it better to seek the other advantages DL seems to offer with product, employee attitude,etc.? I agree that at one time MP was worth the other problems at UA, but now it is defunct I am not so sure of the value.
It's not as bad as all that.

Originally Posted by mlb1k
Price-Delta.
I concur. I've flown DL and UA this year. Always prefer to fly the latter, but for business I cannot fudge the math. DL wins hands down for the business flights I had to take.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS/UA/DL
From my perspective, it depends on your needs and their equipment. I need a 75 inch flat bed to accomodate a 6'3" body attached to size 13 feet. UA international business seats are some of the best, and DL 767 seats are some of the worst, for me because of this goal. I use miles to get tickets and upgrades on international flights so UA is better for me, but would prefer DL if domestic upgrades were my goal. I use a Visa credit card to get a lot of miles. DL 747 seats are good. SEA and SFO are good. Food and drinks are not relevant to someone sleeping for most of the flight.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I'm a DL DM, so I can offer my perspective.

Pluses for Delta:
--Mainline! 70% of the seats out of ATL are mainline. Also, DL has a policy that if a flight is more than 750 miles, it will have a F cabin. No EMB145 on 4 hour flights at DL!
---Amex partnership. I love Amex. So much better than visa. With the DL reserve card, I earn a companion certificate (can book in F), free club access, up to 30k MQMs per year, up to 30k RDMs bonus per year, MQD immunity even for diamond.
---JFK transcons. While we are losing complimentary upgrades on JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX, the service is still great. Newly refurbished 767, free booze in EC, individual screens, international service in J, lie flats.
---choice benefits. If you make DM, you can pick 3. I've gifted friends gold/silver, taken 60k plus sky pesos, etc.
---new system wide upgrades. There will be new SWUs coming this year. Available on any fare class and international and Hawaii. (For DM only, only 4 per year)
---sky miles. They are a pain in the ..., but with hard work, effort and alcohol you can have your seats. It takes more miles to go anything, but delta gives them out like candy.
---Twitter. DL's twitter agents are simply amazing. I have gotten more favors, changes, info, etc from them in the matter of minutes. They recognize your status, waive change fees, and generally give you what you want. (Within reason)
---Diamond bonuses--125% RDMs, free changes to award tickets.
---connection cities. I LOVE msp and DTW to connect! Easy, interesting, shopping, spacious, clean, etc.
---people. Having working for a crappy airline at a crappy time (US during bankruptcy/HP merger), it is so refreshing to meet crew who are happy, fun, not jaded and hardworking. DL flight attendants have no long reserve periods, are some of the highest paid etc. I have friends from NW who are so relieved to be with DL. Profit sharing, DL pay scales, more mainline cities, etc.

If delta could fix that damn award calendar, life would be amazing. I'm not so concerned about scarce availability as I am with the inability to find it without your head exploding.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
I am a former CO flyer who happened to like SkyTeam's European members, particularly KLM, Alitalia and to a lesser extent, Air France. While Star Alliance may be "stronger," I miss SkyTeam.
Not impressed with LH

I had two intra Europe segments earlier this year in what they call Business and two in coach, and soft service on these two short flights was better than my TG A380 Int'l FC

OK, no Dom Perignon, of which I partook liberally on TG (as I'll probably never be in that situation again) but what amazing service and tasty food. And real beer Lived up to their (what I think is) their new slogan Nonstop You ^

Oh, and I'm also a longtime CO flier, but one who started to switch to UA premerger due to my (back then) work travel and ability to gain SWUs on UA. That job went bye-bye just prior to CO introducing their version.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:56 am
RNE

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Not impressed with LH
I have not been on a LH plane since 1971.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: 1 MM Skymiles,Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by zambonisk
Here is my 2 cents...

I'm a 2.5 MM GS member who flew on DL for the first time earlier this year and I have to say for a domestic carrier I have been pleasantly surprised and have flown them enough to earn Diamond and even already have ~20K roll over miles.

-Every single flight has Wifi, including the flight I'm on now. United??
-A/P Fares are MUCH cheaper than United's, often 40-50%, and normally the flights are all mainline or a RJ w/ F.
-I received a real meal on a longer CR9 flight I had a few weeks ago.... sure beat a snack box.
-I'm thanked for my business more than once on all of my DL trips, aside from an occasional thank you from GS, does United even understand what Thank you means?
-Delta has been ontime or nearly ontime on all but 2 flights this year, one was WX other was mech, united, not so much. In July and Aug, I had 4 out of 5 trips where at least one direction I was offlined to DL, and on 2 of the trips UA gave me the pleasure of sitting on DL both ways since they couldn't get the planes there ontime.

-You are right about DL miles being nearly worthless, but I fly mostly for work and it is most important for me to get from point A to B on time, in first and safely.
-NO GS on Delta.... now a week ago I would have told you it really doesn't matter but after getting thru GS meet, greet and assist on a very delayed INT flight, I forgot how nice it was. But all in all, if I don't get GS next year I won't really care (I've already flown over 150K BIS paid A/C/Z tickets this year on UA so I should be renewed) but since DL is going to be my #1 for the foreseeable future.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: AADULtArer
NO GS on Delta.... now a week ago I would have told you it really doesn't matter but after getting thru GS meet, greet and assist on a very delayed INT flight, I forgot how nice it was
The new Delta 360 program from Q4 2013 eats, walks and talks like GS on UA, but any notion that DL might be copying UA on this forum is quickly cognitively dissonated....
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
My personal perspective having traveled on both a fair amount recently... the biggest observation is the customer service... Delta blows away United in this regard. Typical UA flight and gate crew are miserable, especially at EWR. JFK DL staff are polar opposites, usually helpful, not rude and the flight crews are actually happy and dont treat the passengers like we are bothering or annoying them. Bad side of DL is they have some old ... planes but wifi on almost every flight.. hard to top that
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:51 am
RNE

Delta Airlines uses Antares Class-5 cyborgs, which most Galactic authorities recognize as being superior to the Cygni Class-7 cyborgs of United Airlines. How can a Model 5 be superior to a Model 7, you ask? Remember, that Cygni Works purposefully renumbered its models faster than Antares Omnibuild did despite there not being a "full model's" difference between Cygni generations. Smisek and Company "bought" the lie and stocked up on 7's while Delta opted for the 5's. Still, it's tricky—and dangerous—to rank equipment so desperate.

As any schoolchild knows, the 53rd Pan Galactic Hegemony officially maintains that Class 7 Cygni cyborgs are equivalent to the Antares Class 5's. So, dogmatically, there is no difference between Delta or United's cyborgs. Indeed, discussion or speculation thereof is a galactic misdemeanor, so be carefully what you post here.

That said, The Robotic and Humanoid Act passed in the 17th Cycle of Circumnavigation 3142 removed oversight of cyborgs from the Hegemony. Instead, all cyborg manufacturing, programming and deployment are officially the purview of The Triangulum Alliance, a non-governmental entity established to keep non- and partial-humanoid affairs separate from Human political meddling. However, because the Alliance has failed to rule on the functional rankings of any cyborgs—despite their implied mandate to do so—we are left with a situation where all cyborgs are "equal," yes even the old Eridanite models! Crazy, I know.

RNE, deranged.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
DL seems to have discounted F available at reasonable prices. I've taken advantage of this several times, most recently LAX-DTW-ROC on Friday.

Check-in was a bit of a zoo, but I was able to print a BP and get through precheck pretty quickly. DL nor DL agents at LAX were able to give me a seat assignment for DTW-ROC, despite "premium seats" being available for purchase on the CR2

DL domestic 763 F cabin has less room between rows than E+, that was surprising.

I was in row 3 and one of the breakfast choices was already gone. While DL does have a bread plate, only choice was a bagel or room temp croissant. UNITED has more choices and heats the bread.

The IFE on DL was nice. More interactive features on the moving map. The flight attendants were nice, but that couldn't make up for the fact that we arrived late. UNITED pads the schedule so much I'm used to arriving early. With DL I thought I would at least arrive on time.

I have no DL status. I like riding in F for cheap. I would fly DL again if the price is right, but shangri-la it ain't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.