Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using UA miles from Cairns(CNS)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
SYD-CNS is not served by any *A or other MP partner airlines. There may be service from Auckland, NZ on ANZ (but that's going to be far out of your way).
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
There's extremely little Star Alliance service to CNS.

I would just buy SYD-CNS separately. Could be a good use of Avios on Qantas if prices are high.

Last edited by txflyer77; Jan 1, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:58 pm

Thank you both. I'll just book a domestic flight then from SYD-CNS-SYD then.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uvasag
Trying to use United miles to book flights from DTW -> SYD -> CNS. We are planning on flying last week of June/first week of July. Flexible with flying dates as long as it's in June/July. So far I'm able to find flights DTW -> SYD but having no luck finding flights that go to CNS. Would be nice if at least one leg of the journey was either starting or ending in CNS. Any ideas on what I can do to fly to CNS?
As above, no Australian domestic Star Alliance airline (RIP Ansett). On cash fares UA will offer Au domestic flights with a local airline.
Some airlines from Asia fly to CNS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairns_Airport

Airlines that fly in Australia domestically. Excludes some small operators. Take careful note of the fare conditions including checked & carry-on baggage. If doing the SYD transfer on same day allow plenty of time for T1 T2/T3 transfer. UA also fly to MEL.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 1, 2019 at 5:33 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Domestic Australia flights are an excellent use of Avios or AA miles -- 10k in Y or 20k in J, although taxes are really high.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:15 pm

GUM-CNS & HNL-CNS Long Gone

The first time I flew to Australia was from HNL-CNS in First Class on a Continental DC-10-30 in November 1990. It was like two first class round trip tickets for 170,000 miles from Florida. The IAH-HNL flight was a 747. Great international first class service. Then in 2002 did the GUM-CNS for 80,000 miles each for an off peak business class tickets from Florida, using Northwest from DTW-NGO. From DC-10 to 737 to nothing. CO tried to charge 100,000 because CO was used, but explained to them a 737 is not First or BusinessFirst.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Thank you both. I'll just book a domestic flight then from SYD-CNS-SYD then.
Just watch the baggage allowance really carefully. The carry on is limited to 7kg total weight. In November 2018 Virgin Australia enforced it religiously at check in from BNE to CNS, and my leather roll on computer bag, with nothing but my laptop exceeded this, even with the cables etc packed in in my check in luggage. I couldn't pay for excess carry on and had to pack my computer bag in a holdall that we normally pack in case we purchase gifts etc on vacation. I then had to pay for that as checked baggage and carry my laptop and anything with lithium batteries with me with no bag. Excess baggage fees are also significantly cheaper if purchased on line as opposed to at the airport, at least with VA. We were in Economy but not on the cheapest fare either. Very different to N America. QANTAS says the same weight limits but they made no effort to check or enforce. Mind you the QANTAS segments were purchased as part of a full itinerary through UA and differing allowances exist when connecting ( although theoretically not for carry on ). However, in BNE there were scales by every gate, VA and QANTAS. VA said it was an Australian transportation authority rule but lots of folks had huge bags in the gate area and nobody checked. As for the two airlines, VA had nicer seats but were baggage Nazis. QANTAS were friendlier but had tiny, cramped seats.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Fizzer
Just watch the baggage allowance really carefully. The carry on is limited to 7kg total weight.
QF is 7kg each piece.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by findark
QF is 7kg each piece.
That explains why we had no grief on QF. Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF is 7kg each piece.
That explains why we had no grief on QF. Thanks.
QF domestic allows 1or 2 at 7 kg and a small personal item:- 1 at 115 cm or 2 at 105 cm (each 7kg)
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...age-allowances
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:22 pm

Just watch the baggage allowance really carefully. The carry on is limited to 7kg total weight. In November 2018 Virgin Australia enforced it religiously at check in from BNE to CNS, and my leather roll on computer bag, with nothing but my laptop exceeded this, even with the cables etc packed in in my check in luggage. I couldn't pay for excess carry on and had to pack my computer bag in a holdall that we normally pack in case we purchase gifts etc on vacation. I then had to pay for that as checked baggage and carry my laptop and anything with lithium batteries with me with no bag. Excess baggage fees are also significantly cheaper if purchased on line as opposed to at the airport, at least with VA. We were in Economy but not on the cheapest fare either. Very different to N America. QANTAS says the same weight limits but they made no effort to check or enforce. Mind you the QANTAS segments were purchased as part of a full itinerary through UA and differing allowances exist when connecting ( although theoretically not for carry on ). However, in BNE there were scales by every gate, VA and QANTAS. VA said it was an Australian transportation authority rule but lots of folks had huge bags in the gate area and nobody checked. As for the two airlines, VA had nicer seats but were baggage Nazis. QANTAS were friendlier but had tiny, cramped seats.
Thank you for the heads up. qq - If I book DTW -> SYD using award miles can I add the CNS domestic flight to the same ticket? That way my airport transfers are covered.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I book DTW -> SYD using award miles can I add the CNS domestic flight to the same ticket? That way my airport transfers are covered.
No. Generally can not have award flight and revenue flight on the same PNR
So with UA ff miles, no, as awards need to be on ff partners

If on QF/AA yes, but needs to be all booked as an award to CNS with QF, AA or other QF ff partner ff miles.
If on VA/DL yes, but needs to be all booked as an award to CNS with VA, DL or other VA ff partner ff miles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairns_Airport
Route--> GCMapper

On QF SYD-CNS can be ~Au$300/$400 and more (one way) for the 3hr flight. VA & JQ may be cheaper, but be aware of what is included in the ticket
Air NZ via ORD & AKL is about the same distance as via LAX-SYD, but awards on Air NZ are hard to get.
As a cash ticket AKL-CNS can be about the same as SYD-CNS
Air Canada (Star Alliance) flys into BNE
uvasag likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 3, 2019 at 6:01 pm
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
We're in the same boat as you as far as trying to book an award EWR-CNS. After researching this A LOT, the best we came up with was UA Award EWR-SYD and then QF Paid SYD-CNS.

Make sure you leave a lot of time between the arrival of your UA flight and the departure of your QF flight. Being on separate airlines and separate tickets, QF probably won't show any sympathy if you miss their flight because you're UA flight was late.

For example: We arrive in SYD at 7:00am on Day 1. We won't depart for CNS until 1:00pm on Day 2. Since we have the time, we are going to check out Sydney and recover from our jet-lag there. Also, god forbid we don't get on the once daily flight to SYD, we still can be on the next day's flight and make the flight to CNS. As I said though, we are lucky to have this freedom and I realize many people will not.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by phkc070408
We're in the same boat as you as far as trying to book an award EWR-CNS. After researching this A LOT, the best we came up with was UA Award EWR-SYD and then QF Paid SYD-CNS.

Make sure you leave a lot of time between the arrival of your UA flight and the departure of your QF flight. Being on separate airlines and separate tickets, QF probably won't show any sympathy if you miss their flight because you're UA flight was late.

For example: We arrive in SYD at 7:00am on Day 1. We won't depart for CNS until 1:00pm on Day 2. Since we have the time, we are going to check out Sydney and recover from our jet-lag there. Also, god forbid we don't get on the once daily flight to SYD, we still can be on the next day's flight and make the flight to CNS. As I said though, we are lucky to have this freedom and I realize many people will not.
Yes, my original plan was to spend a week in Sydney and then fly to Cairns. I just thought flying to CNS directly would make the trip easier. But I guess not.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
QF is 7kg each piece.
And QF recently started weighing carry ons and enforcing that rule!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.