Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Was supposed to get to Ord last night at 7:14 still not there

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

This is my son's friend's story. He was supposed to leave last night at 6:30 on UA 2015. Inbound late due to ATC hold and didn't arrive until 9:30. Then the fun started. i took screen shots of the UA flight status page and it kept saying delayed for "operational reasons". The friend says they kept saying it was a Crew issue. Then they said they didn't have a pilot. All the time they kept a rolling delay. My son is texting me as his friend is texting him. I told him to tell him to bail and that flight was not going anywhere as it was now 1:00am. They xld the flight at 1:45

The kid slept on the floor in the airport as there were no hotel rooms available.
UA offered him 5k Miles or 100.00 cert

So, he's set to leave this am. He's on flight 2719. He left at 8:33 and then the flight had a fuel issue and had to Return to the gate. He just got in the air again and is now scheduled to land at 11:57. He must want to see his GF really badly. I would have bailed on the whole trip yesterday.

He could have driven out and been there before he is going to be there now.
Im going to help him write his complaint letter when he gets back as his trip sounds like a number of mine I have had on UA. Sad, it was a once great airline.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The weather yesterday screwed a whole bunch of flights.

I agree that bailing earlier would've been smarter, but the storms were no joke and there were a couple bands that blew through.

See also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-what-now.html for a similar discussion.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
The weather yesterday screwed a whole bunch of flights.

I agree that bailing earlier would've been smarter, but the storms were no joke and there were a couple bands that blew through.

See also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-what-now.html for a similar discussion.
Yes, absolutely but after 9:30 pm (when the inbound got there) there were no mentions of ATC holds, weather, etc as the reason for the delay. It clearly said Operational Delay. The flights scheduled before and after had no issue. They told the waiting pax it was a Crew issue. The 8:20 and 9:30 departure from EWR to ORD both flew albeit with 1 hour delays. The flight he was on was not xld for weather, it was xld due to Crew issues.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
The weather caused downline crew operating aircraft to be delayed as well (they have to come from somewhere). Crew timing out in the late evening is troublesome given availability of replacement crew. The fuel issue this morning is just a series of unfortunate events.

Originally Posted by cruisr
Yes, absolutely but after 9:30 pm (when the inbound got there) there were no mentions of ATC holds, weather, etc as the reason for the delay. It clearly said Operational Delay. The flights scheduled before and after had no issue. They told the waiting pax it was a Crew issue. The 8:20 and 9:30 departure from EWR to ORD both flew albeit with 1 hour delays. The flight he was on was not xld for weather, it was xld due to Crew issues.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The crew were likely unavailable because of the impacts of weather and ATC on other flights.

It's not unusual for an earlier flight to cancel while later flights operate. They don't try to operate the flights in strict order.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
The perils of flying during the summer. <shrugs> happens to the best of us
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mduell
The crew were likely unavailable because of the impacts of weather and ATC on other flights.

It's not unusual for an earlier flight to cancel while later flights operate. They don't try to operate the flights in strict order.
I'm sorry but there has to be a limit to when weather in a different city hours earlier still counts as "weather" and not "operational". This sounds operational to me. OP's son's friend is entitled to far more than offered, IMHO.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by keloutwest
I'm sorry but there has to be a limit to when weather in a different city hours earlier still counts as "weather" and not "operational".
The limit is when the airplane gets back on schedule. This could take a day or two in some cases.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
The perils of flying during the summer. <shrugs> happens to the best of us
Add winter and the window of non-perilous flights shrink
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TomMM
Time to spare? Go by air!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I'm sorry but there has to be a limit to when weather in a different city hours earlier still counts as "weather" and not "operational". This sounds operational to me. OP's son's friend is entitled to far more than offered, IMHO.
At least in this case, the bad weather was actually at the point of origin, so it's not like UA is claiming that bad weather at EWR caused his flight from LAX not to operate.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The limit is when the airplane gets back on schedule. This could take a day or two in some cases.
If you don't think United should have to recover from a weather issue 24-48 hours later, you've obviously not experienced Delta's service levels. There needs to be sufficiently flexible and dispersed crew, and a certain buffer on aircraft availability to recover from inevitable weather issues. If United can't figure out a flight should be canceled because the crew isn't going to make it, that's not weather, that's operational.

Weather IRROPS are for bad weather affecting the direct inbound aircraft or outbound flight.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
If you don't think United should have to recover from a weather issue 24-48 hours later, you've obviously not experienced Delta's service levels. There needs to be sufficiently flexible and dispersed crew, and a certain buffer on aircraft availability to recover from inevitable weather issues. If United can't figure out a flight should be canceled because the crew isn't going to make it, that's not weather, that's operational.
This kind of Delta service level?
http://www.ajc.com/news/local/delta-...eSNtNPvQi13jI/

Storms on Wednesday. Flights still cancelled Sunday. 4. days. later.
United only delayed this flight for 15 hours? Not too bad...imo.

Or did you have a different example of service level that you were trying to showcase?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
Isn't Fall hurricane season? And don't forget Spring flooding!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I understand delay/cancellation as an inherent risk for any frequent flyer. However, what I hate is UA's practice of rolling delays. You never know the expected departure time with any delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.