Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges (SAS only)

Old Feb 20, 2024, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
T5 Lounges
SAS Business Lounge
Departure level,M13,Next to departure gate M13-M15
limited hours
SAS is in process of leaving *A for ST

LX lounges -- closed due to COVID and never reopened

T1 has UA Polaris Lounge and UCs

Print Wikipost

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges (SAS only)

Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:20 am

Polaris Lounge ORD

I will be flying in from MSY to ORD with just under a 5 hour layover before Swiss business to ZRH.

I know where the Polaris lounge is located but I read we may have to go through security twice to get back to the Swiss terminal? Once I deplane from morning domestic flight what are my steps to get to Polaris lounge and then to Swiss terminal?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by fanoftripping
I will be flying in from MSY to ORD with just under a 5 hour layover before Swiss business to ZRH.

I know where the Polaris lounge is located but I read we may have to go through security twice to get back to the Swiss terminal? Once I deplane from morning domestic flight what are my steps to get to Polaris lounge and then to Swiss terminal?

After your domestic arrival, just walk to C concourse to the Polaris Lounge. No need to re-clear security.

For your Swiss flight, you need to get to Terminal 5. There is a Terminal Transfer Bus available so you don't have to re-clear security. Walk to gate B1 for the pickup area to take you to Terminal 5.
I would allow 30 minutes for waiting for the bus plus the drive time.

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax
Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:46 am

Thank you for the help.

Yeah Iím not sure if it was an old write up but I definitely read on someoneís lounge review that you had to reclear security somewhere
Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
If you don't have a boarding pass for a flight leaving from T5, I'm not sure TSA will let you go thru security at T5. Does anyone know for sure?
In my experience, if I mention at T5 security that I am there to visit a lounge it is no problem.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Is it all booked under one itinerary? If so, then your bags will be checked through to the final destination, and you would not need to go to Swiss check-in at ORD for the formalities.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thank you for the help.

Yeah Iím not sure if it was an old write up but I definitely read on someoneís lounge review that you had to reclear security somewhere
Sure thing. When the TTB is not running, then you would have to exit the secure area and take the ATS (train) over to Terminal 5...and then re-clear security. It could have also been someone that had a late departing flight. The TTB stops running at 9:30 PM.

The TTB was suspended during COVID, but has recently come back.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:52 pm

ORD Terminal 5 lounge options

I just booked an Aeroplan award for the wife ATL-ORD-FRA rt, all on UA metal, for next week in J.

She'll arrive in terminal 1at ORD, where it looks like most of the United lounges are, and departed 3 hours later from terminal 5.

What would be her lounge options in terminal 5, or is it wise to stay in terminal 1?

Thank you
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:59 pm

Polaris lounge is in T1 - Concourse C, right at the top of the escalators from T1 - Concourse B (through the neon tunnel!). I would hang out there until having to head over to T5. Have a great trip!
RetiredATLATC likes this.

Last edited by DiminishedSeventh; Feb 20, 2024 at 8:06 pm
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:02 pm

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I just booked an Aeroplan award for the wife ATL-ORD-FRA rt, all on UA metal, for next week in J.

She'll arrive in terminal 1at ORD, where it looks like most of the United lounges are, and departed 3 hours later from terminal 5.

What would be her lounge options in terminal 5, or is it wise to stay in terminal 1?

Thank you
Any particular reason why go to T5? The only decent option there is the DL SC but youíd need a Lifetime membership to get in if flying UA.

Any carrier flying ORD-FRA will depart T1, and given that she is in J sheíll have access to the Polaris Lounge which is the best at ORD.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:04 pm

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by DiminishedSeventh
Polaris lounge is in T2, right at the top of the escalators from T1 (through the neon tunnel!). I would hang out there until having to head over to T5. Have a great trip!
No.

The PL is in T1 Concourse C and not T2 which is an UA Express terminal. I still donít understand how T5 comes to play in this
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
No.

The PL is in T1 Concourse C and not T2 which is an UA Express terminal. I still donít understand how T5 comes to play in this
oops sorry youíre rightÖ typo - corrected to avoid confusion!

Also, agreed about T5. Iíve never had an international United departure from T5, only arrivals. All of my ORD-FRA flights have departed from C gates in T1. OP if youíre looking at the ďwhere is my plane coming fromĒ itís possible that if itís coming in from an intl leg itíll show T5 because thatís where immigration and customs is. The aircraft will likely be tugged over to T1 for the ORD-FRA leg.
miamiflyer8 likes this.

Last edited by DiminishedSeventh; Feb 20, 2024 at 8:14 pm
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Stay in T1 since there are no ORD-FRA flight that would depart out of T5.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Stay in T1 since there are no ORD-FRA flight that would depart out of T5.
I'll let her know, thank you.

I was under the assumption that all international flights left from T5, but I've only been through there long haul on QR and CX
Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was under the assumption that all international flights left from T5, but I've only been through there long haul on QR and CX
All international arrivals use terminal 5 for arrivals, but a lot of airlines, including UA, tow the planes over to their "home" terminals for departures.

Rest of advice above is spot on. Polaris Lounge is very nice and easy access to departure gate.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:03 am

The ORD website has a list of airlines and the respective terminals (link below). AA and UA have all departures from their respective main terminals with only international arrivals going to T5.

Many (but not all) international carriers depart from T5 too.
https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myf...s/default.aspx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.