Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lounge access if rebooked on non *A flight after IRROPS?

Old Jul 14, 17, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold

Getting late here in IAD and my flyertalk seach skills are escaping me, so starting a new thread to ask this one:

I am a UA Gold. Was booked on a UA 016 ticket that IAD-BRU-ACC on UA and SN. Due to IRROPS in IAD, I was rebooked, still on a UA 016 ticket, IAD-LHR-ACC. The IAD-LHR is UA but the LHR-ACC is on BA. The layover is quite long in LHR, so wondering, will I be able to access the *A lounges in LHR even though my departing flight is non-*A? Thanks in advance!!
Old Jul 14, 17, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nope.

Within *A (and I'm assuming flying Y with *G status) the next departure defines lounge access. You're not departing on a *A flight no no lounge.

Also, no *A lounges in the BA terminals so that also works against you. Assuming T5 there is a buy-in lounge if you really want one. Looks like showers cost extra and no toilets inside from that webpage.

I'm guessing 10:30a arrival and 1:55p departure from a quick scan of schedules. You'll spend the first 40-60 minutes of that switching terminals. After that either the paid lounge or grab a snack in T5 and chill. They'll start boarding about an hour out so it isn't that much time in the terminal once all is said and done.

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 14, 17 at 7:29 pm
Old Jul 14, 17, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks much for the info. I thought this was the case but the IAD United Club agents insisted I could get in to the United Club in LHR. I was going to try to convince them to give me a one-time pass claiming that their IRROPS cheated me out of the lounge access in BRU, but they insisted it wasn't a problem. Alas.
Old Jul 14, 17, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by gandalf29 View Post
Ok thanks much for the info. I thought this was the case but the IAD United Club agents insisted I could get in to the United Club in LHR. I was going to try to convince them to give me a one-time pass claiming that their IRROPS cheated me out of the lounge access in BRU, but they insisted it wasn't a problem. Alas.
Probably wouldn't have physical access to the lounge in T2 anyways. You'll be in transit and will need to reclear security. LHR is pretty strict about only doing that in your departing terminal IME.
Old Jul 14, 17, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Probably wouldn't have physical access to the lounge in T2 anyways. You'll be in transit and will need to reclear security. LHR is pretty strict about only doing that in your departing terminal IME.
I'm pretty certain that's right. BA will be T5 and there will be no way to get back to T2 departures.
Old Jul 15, 17, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Under *A rules you would have no chance.

However LHR is a UA Club, not a *A lounge. If you could make it to the lounge I would not be surprised if you could talk your way in given your exact situation - especially presuming the IROPS that caused the reroute were on UA.

However as others have pointed out, your issue is going to be physically getting to the lounge...

And don't forget to claim original routing credit for the flights on UA/SN, and also the miles on BA...
Old Jul 15, 17, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
You cannot access the UC which is in T2 departures.
Old Jul 15, 17, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only if you can get to United Club. IAD agent probably didn't know that you cannot get to T2 UC. Also, how do you suppose UA can issue you a one-time pass for BA lounge?
Old Jul 15, 17, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Under *A rules you would have no chance.

However LHR is a UA Club, not a *A lounge. If you could make it to the lounge I would not be surprised if you could talk your way in given your exact situation - especially presuming the IROPS that caused the reroute were on UA.

However as others have pointed out, your issue is going to be physically getting to the lounge...

And don't forget to claim original routing credit for the flights on UA/SN, and also the miles on BA...
So you're saying I could get the original miles credited to UA AND credit the BA miles to BA? If that is the case, could I get AA miles instead?

So flight to ACC is out of T3 actually not T5. I didn't try too hard to get to United lounge in T2 as it seemed you had to clear security and not an airport I know too well so decided to book it to T3 immediately. Now sitting in T3 like a chump.
Old Jul 15, 17, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can get original routing credit from UA. I don't expect you'll have much luck with the AA miles but you could try to get BA to enter you AA number on the reservation.

It would not have been possible for you to get into T2 departures. At T2 (as everywhere at LHR, for the most part) arriving and departing passengers are segregated. Without a BP for a T2 flight you would not have made it past security. It is as simple as that. What UA could have done for you (but probably wouldn't have) is give you a pass for the UA arrivals lounge outside the T2 baggage area.

There are no *A lounges at T3, but various paid options if you are so inclined.
Old Jul 15, 17, 6:06 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Architecture and security policies get in the way of OP's access request at LHR. But, the general solution was for the agent to have issued OP the requested one-time pass. That would only have worked at a UC and not any other *A facility. Alternatively, an "invitation" coupon for Arrivals (which could also be entered in the PNR notes).

OP should be able to credit his BA flight to any OW program and to claim ORC from UA.
Old Jul 15, 17, 6:16 am

Programs: UA Plat, BA Gold
T5 has a Priority Pass lounge.
Old Jul 15, 17, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That won't do OP much good when he's in T3, but there are PP options there as well. No1 lounge is decent.
Old Jul 15, 17, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So you're saying I could get the original miles credited to UA AND credit the BA miles to BA? If that is the case, could I get AA miles instead?
Yes and yes.
Old Jul 15, 17, 9:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Getting late here in IAD and my flyertalk seach skills are escaping me, so starting a new thread to ask this one:

I am a UA Gold. Was booked on a UA 016 ticket that IAD-BRU-ACC on UA and SN. Due to IRROPS in IAD, I was rebooked, still on a UA 016 ticket, IAD-LHR-ACC. The IAD-LHR is UA but the LHR-ACC is on BA. The layover is quite long in LHR, so wondering, will I be able to access the *A lounges in LHR even though my departing flight is non-*A? Thanks in advance!!
You didn't mention if you were in Y or J, but if you are in J don't forget the LHR arrivals lounge in T2. I'm not sure how it works when transiting (I have only been O/D from LHR), but I would think you should be able to access it if you were in J. Great showers and a decent food spread.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: