Wiki Posts
Search

Plane heading back to gate- what now?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Plane heading back to gate- what now?

My EWR-IAH flight has returned to the gate after a 3 1/2 hour wait on the tarmac as the pilots have timed out. This is a first for me. Fortunately I am in first. How often do they end up replacing the crew versus cancelling the flight altogether?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'd be on the phone/app right now either trying to get a new flight or a hotel room.

Good luck!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Either way, you'll probably be waiting longer than the next scheduled departure to IAH, if it's on-time. I'd get on the blower and get switched to that next flight, if I were you!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:47 pm

Flight 1810? If so, extremely likely that a crew will be found and departure will be expedited as it's a 767-300. That type of aircraft is often a revenue getter on an overseas route and being flown domestically for positioning. I've personally experienced that same aircraft stuck en route from ORD to IAH, diverted to DFW for weather for 6 hours and another crew flown in just to get it to IAH. Departure ensued after midnight for a 30 minute flight.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

I would rather sit in my lie flat than in the terminal, even for a couple more hours. The seat maps are showing the last two flights as full anyway.

Yes, flight 1810. They have asked everyone to deplane.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2017 at 6:46 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Joe K.
No surprise. The cabin crew cannot leave the plane with passengers on board. And if they don't have new pilots ready to go yet that could take up to a couple hours to make happen.

I'd be on the phone to reservations asking to be protected on a flight in the morning.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
So much for sitting in the lie-flat. I'd be working on a Plan B now,...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
My EWR-IAH flight has returned to the gate after a 3 1/2 hour wait on the tarmac as the pilots have timed out. This is a first for me. Fortunately I am in first. How often do they end up replacing the crew versus cancelling the flight altogether?

If you really spent 3.5 hours on the tarmac, then UA is probably going to get fined too, as that exceeds 3 hour tarmac delay rule.

When does the 3 hours clock start? Door shut? Clearance to leave the gate?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's a 763 and they need the frame for GRU. I second AirbusFan2B that they will get the plane out tonight with very high probability. While it never hurts to have a backup plan, it's doubtful you can get to IAH faster by doing anything else as EWR is in disaster mode right now.

Official time on the tarmac was 2h37, possible the rule forced them back to the gate, which caused the crew to time out:

Code:
1810/13JUL
P EWR/OUT    455P  L00.40  EST OFF  700PLATE INBOUND CREW
P EWR/RR     732P
F EWR/ETD    900P  L04.45  FLIGHT CREW AVAILABILITY
F IAH/ETA   1133P  L04.33
D CRC/IAH/ PROB DLYS/DVRT/CNCL DUE TO THUNDERSTORMS

SKED  EWR  ORIG    415P              GTD C123 SHIP 6452
      IAH   700P  TERM      GTA   E5

Last edited by findark; Jul 13, 2017 at 6:17 pm Reason: bad math
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drowelf
If you really spent 3.5 hours on the tarmac, then UA is probably going to get fined too, as that exceeds 3 hour tarmac delay rule.

When does the 3 hours clock start? Door shut? Clearance to leave the gate?
The 3 hour rule has some caveats. From the DOT web site.

The new rule prohibits U.S. airlines operating domestic flights from permitting an aircraft to remain on the tarmac for more than three hours without deplaning passengers, with exceptions allowed only for safety or security or if air traffic control advises the pilot in command that returning to the terminal would disrupt airport operations. U.S. carriers operating international flights departing from or arriving in the United States must specify, in advance, their own time limits for deplaning passengers, with the same exceptions applicable.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I am going to wait it out. The text message I just received said 9pm. As long as I get home tonight I am good.

I guess the 2 hours and 47 minutes is based on pushback? I was in my seat before 4pm. So that sounds about right.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2017 at 6:47 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I guess the 2 hours and 47 minutes is based on pushback? I was in my seat before 4pm. So that sounds about right.
Yes. If I recall it's when the brakes are released, but some of the UA pilots who frequent the board would know for sure.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:43 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by findark
It's a 763 and they need the frame for GRU. I second AirbusFan2B that they will get the plane out tonight with very high probability. While it never hurts to have a backup plan, it's doubtful you can get to IAH faster by doing anything else as EWR is in disaster mode right now.

Official time on the tarmac was 2h37, possible the rule forced them back to the gate, which caused the crew to time out:

Code:
1810/13JUL
P EWR/OUT 455P L00.40 EST OFF 700PLATE INBOUND CREW
P EWR/RR 732P
F EWR/ETD 900P L04.45 FLIGHT CREW AVAILABILITY
F IAH/ETA 1133P L04.33
D CRC/IAH/ PROB DLYS/DVRT/CNCL DUE TO THUNDERSTORMS

SKED EWR ORIG 415P GTD C123 SHIP 6452
IAH 700P TERM GTA E5
law of unintended consequences.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
now 9.30 p.m. good luck
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
It's a 763 and they need the frame for GRU.
Just curious, where do you see that info? .bomb shows tonight's IAH-GRU flight using the aircraft from GRU-IAH and tomorrow's IAH-GRU flight using the aircraft from LIM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.