Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 767-300 (30/46/138)- Polaris seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Boeing 767-300 Version 2 (30/184) - Polaris non-HD
30 Polaris 46 E+ 138 E-

AeroLOPA view: https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-76a

AVOID Polaris:
7A, 7L does not have a window.

Recommended E+ seats:
21DEF (middle seats) have extra legroom as an emergency crossover row. Note that 21AB and KL have limited recline.
22AB and KL have extra legroom but may be cold.
40AB, 41AB are crew-rest seats. If available (usually T-24), they have a footrest and extra recline.

Related thread
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 High J (46/22/43/56) Polaris+PP

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 767-300 (30/46/138)- Polaris seat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ilfixbax
The schedule seems so up in the air, no pun intended! Is there anyway to figure out when the 767-300 ORD-LHR will have the new Polaris seats? They have 3 of those planes going non-stop on that route a day.
Wait for UA to announce what routes they dedicate the new 763 to, if any.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by EWR764
No doubt. It was floated on some message boards (including this one) but IMV was never even a consideration.
It really couldn't have been.

Originally Posted by N104UA
You can read way up in the thread but

TL;DR UA will do the 3 class birds (pmUA 763 and 772) first, then the pmCO 772s, then will reassess and decide to reconfigure the remaining 767s and extend the life of them or retire them, I would expect a decision on the future of the 764 and 2 class 763s about 2020, but I would expect retirement as they will need at least 5 years with Polaris seats to extend the life.
Remember, those 2 class 763s are actually fairly new, many will be sub 20 years old by 2020. UA put a pretty big investment in them to "de-cripple" them from the old medium haul configuration they were in. Only seems to make sense to keep them around.

Originally Posted by boat9781
This.

After reconfig, this is the best 767 flying. Both upfront and in the back.
AA's product can argue with that and so can DL's.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
Remember, those 2 class 763s are actually fairly new, many will be sub 20 years old by 2020. UA put a pretty big investment in them to "de-cripple" them from the old medium haul configuration they were in. Only seems to make sense to keep them around..
You would think so, but many of the 744s they are retiring are under 20 years old, so I wouldn't put stock in the idea that UA will keep them around just because they are less than 20 years old.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by N1120A
AA's product can argue with that and so can DL's.
I'm optimistic that the Polaris 767 will be a much more desirable J product than the original Thompson Vantage installed on AA/DL 767s. Any perceived issues with the forthcoming Polaris seat (narrow, smaller/tigher footwell, shorter seat, lack of storage, poor traytable design, etc.) are already documented issues with the Vantage seat. The Vantage is probably my least favorite direct aisle access seat.

Meanwhile, DL's seats are getting a bit worn and AA's, while newer, don't have embedded IFE.

On the other hand, the Polaris seats will be much more private, with better IFE screen and some more bells-and-whistles than the AA/DL products.

I think credit must be given where due, and the Polaris 763ER will end up a strong product.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:29 am

I'm optimistic that the Polaris 767 will be a much more desirable J product than the original Thompson Vantage installed on AA/DL 767s. Any perceived issues with the forthcoming Polaris seat (narrow, smaller/tigher footwell, shorter seat, lack of storage, poor traytable design, etc.) are already documented issues with the Vantage seat. The Vantage is probably my least favorite direct aisle access seat.

Meanwhile, DL's seats are getting a bit worn and AA's, while newer, don't have embedded IFE.

On the other hand, the Polaris seats will be much more private, with better IFE screen and some more bells-and-whistles than the AA/DL products.

I think credit must be given where due, and the Polaris 763ER will end up a strong product.
Exactly.

The Vantage seat was great when it came out, but the original version is a generation behind newer seats at this point.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Polaris 767 N644UA - Where to sit (couples)?

By sheer luck, our plane has been swapped out for N644UA, the only Polaris 767.

It looks like couples who want some sort of interaction should choose seats A/D in even numbered rows - can anyone make a recommendation?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I just got off N644UA.

For couples, I would pick 21DE. Note that 21DE is the very last row of E+ in the center section. The row numbers don't align all the away across the aircraft. 22AB and 22KL are the last rows of E+ on the left and right sides.

The reason I pick 21DE is that:
1) You get the best legroom of E+ due to the alignment of the exit rows. There's got to be at least 48" of pitch in this row.
2) Full recline.
3) The tray tables is in the arm rest, EXCEPT for 21DE. 21D's non-movable arm rest is on the left side where as 21E's non-movable arm rest is on the right side. So in between is a movable (normal) armrest.

[EDIT]
On my flight, the monitors were not working in 21DEF. So, they gave us $75 eCerts. 21DEF is also unique in that there's monitors on the back of 20DEF, and there's monitors that pull out from the arm rests (under the tray tables). So, if it was all working, I think you could watch two different things at the same time.
oopl likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by warreng24
I just got off N644UA.

For couples, I would pick 21DE. Note that 21DE is the very last row of E+ in the center section. The row numbers don't align all the away across the aircraft. 22AB and 22KL are the last rows of E+ on the left and right sides.

1) You get the best legroom of E+ due to the alignment of the exit rows. There's got to be at least 48" of pitch in this row.
2) Full recline.
3) The tray tables is in the arm rest, EXCEPT for 21DE. 21D's non-movable arm rest is on the left side where as 21E's non-movable arm rest is on the right side. So in between is a movable (normal) armrest.

[EDIT]
On my flight, the monitors were not working in 21DEF. So, they gave us $75 eCerts. 21DEF is also unique in that there's monitors on the back of 20DEF, and there's monitors that pull out from the arm rests (under the tray tables). So, if it was all working, I think you could watch two different things at the same time.
OP is asking about where to sit in J, not Y...
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by warreng24
I just got off N644UA.

2) Full recline.

[EDIT]
These sounds like cool E+ seats. I didn't know that anything had full recline in E+. is this a new thing? I could also see putting the map on one screen and a movie on the other. Does it also have storage under the seat in front of you?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wtigerFF
...I didn't know that anything had full recline in E+. is this a new thing?..
Hopefully, you're not thinking of lie-flat type of "full recline". "Full recline" in this context is the normal 4" E+ recline, versus 3" regular E recline or limited/zero recline due to bulkhead or exit row behind. Don't expect a E+ lie-flat.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by skycrab
By sheer luck, our plane has been swapped out for N644UA, the only Polaris 767.

It looks like couples who want some sort of interaction should choose seats A/D in even numbered rows - can anyone make a recommendation?
Ye asked for direct aisle access.. ye hath said nothing about couples..

An A/D pair is probably optimal, although you're still essentially shouting across the aisle. The ability to talk over the shoulder is also non-trivial from two consecutive seats in the same column. But either way I wouldn't expect to be having a quiet, private conversation the whole flight.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
An A/D pair is probably optimal,...
Sight unseen, I would think odd row F/L might be a tad closed vs even row A/D
Plus the odd L is a better window seat vs even row A.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I hope UA selected a better grade of seat cover material for the Polaris seat than they selected for the 789 business seat. I flew on a 2 year old 789 last month and I was shocked at how worn the armrest material was. The old ITPE seat I sat in last week was in better condition.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by findark
Ye asked for direct aisle access.. ye hath said nothing about couples..

An A/D pair is probably optimal, although you're still essentially shouting across the aisle. The ability to talk over the shoulder is also non-trivial from two consecutive seats in the same column. But either way I wouldn't expect to be having a quiet, private conversation the whole flight.
I can't find it now, but someone further up in this thread said (paraphrasing) "I have a strong enough marriage that I don't have to sit 2 ft from my spouse on a 7 hour flight."
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by N104UA
I can't find it now, but someone further up in this thread said (paraphrasing) "I have a strong enough marriage that I don't have to sit 2 ft from my spouse on a 7 hour flight."
Yeah, I mean I've even done D/G pair on the four-block of a 772 (no side pairs left, to the bafflement of the other pax who ended up in the middle), but that doesn't mean most couples wouldn't prefer a pair of seats together. Your SO's personal space tends to be a more comfortable border than a wall

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.