Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My employer claims to own whatever VDB compensation I collect on business trips reimbursed by my employer, so I wound never volunteer in such cases. Since I have top tier status, IDBs are not a problem so I haven't checked whether they're like EU 261 comeonsation which is mandated to go to the passenger or not.
That's pretty rough - do they also claim ownership of your miles? Does VDB need to be self-reported?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Miggles
Corporate flyers who value their time wouldn't touch any form of VDB with a 10 foot pole.
I am a corporate flyer, and I value my time... so you're wrong.

I had a flight at 6AM once on a Friday. Got VDB's for $300 to a 7AM flight, home by 10AM. Client in a different timezone.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This program came up in the earnings call this morning. UA indicated that it is a very, VERY small pilot effort today. Expectation is that, at most, about 50 passengers will be moved to a different flight during the test phase.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by soonerborn
Infrequent flyers aren't going to be as moved by this $250 offer as some think. I think its a fair offer but for people that only fly once a year, what are they gonna do with a $250 voucher that expires in a year. So I think rolling this out to FF members is the way to go.
When weather waivers let me change my flight a couple days in advance to another flight between the same cities for free, I typically do. Usually my flights are booked far enough in advance that whatever flight I'm on is no longer optimal for my schedule. I can usually pick a more lightly loaded flight too, and gamble on an empty middle seat on a flight that gets me there at at equivalent time.

If I had two options for how the system were set up:
  1. UA picks my new flight, but gives me a $250 voucher
  2. UA gives me nothing, but I can pick any other flights on the same day, between the same cities, that aren't expected to be sold out

i'd chose the latter option every time. I know those of you with free SDC are looking at me like I'm crazy, but such is life as a silver.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My employer claims to own whatever VDB compensation I collect on business trips reimbursed by my employer, so I wound never volunteer in such cases. Since I have top tier status, IDBs are not a problem so I haven't checked whether they're like EU 261 comeonsation which is mandated to go to the passenger or not.
VDB & IDB are the passengers, just like EC 261/2004 compensation.

But, that has nothing to do with external rules, policies or terms of employment to which you agree in taking a job. Perhaps you are obligated to pay it over to your employer, perhaps not.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA PP (47% MM), HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
This program came up in the earnings call this morning. UA indicated that it is a very, VERY small pilot effort today. Expectation is that, at most, about 50 passengers will be moved to a different flight during the test phase.
Hard to say if I was a part of this test phase, but I was contacted about 20 hours before my flight back home this past weekend (July 16th) looking for volunteers. I was offered $200 and my choice of any of the non stop options the same day as my original flight. I had been upgraded on my original flight via CPU process and the agent was able to keep me in F on the re-booked flight.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
VDB & IDB are the passengers, just like EC 261/2004 compensation.

But, that has nothing to do with external rules, policies or terms of employment to which you agree in taking a job. Perhaps you are obligated to pay it over to your employer, perhaps not.
maybe in the "real" world, but for US Gov employees, IDB, should it ever occur, must be paid in the form of a check made out to the Treasurer of the United States.
If I get bumped do I get to keep the Denied Boarding Compensation (DBC)?It depends. There are two categories of “bumping”:
  • Voluntary – When there is an actual oversell situation at the gate, the agent will ask for volunteers to give up their seat and take a later flight for a negotiated compensation. This is normally in the form of various valued flight coupons for future flights. If a government traveler volunteers AND still meets the mission requirements then the traveler can keep & use the negotiated compensation for their personal use. A government traveler should never volunteer if giving up their seat for the later flight(s) would result in not meeting the mission requirements.
  • Involuntary – When the occasion occurs that there are too many passengers to be accommodated on the flight and not enough volunteers have been found, the gate agent will then “bumping” people from the flight. This is where timely check-in times become critical. Passengers who have not met the advertised check-in times either via the internet, at the check-in counter/kiosk at the airport and at the gate will be the first ones bumped. Even if you have a seat assignment and haven’t met the timelines you can be bumped. The airlines will use these timelines first because if they are not met the airline will not be required to pay the DBC. If a government passenger is actually involuntarily bumped from a flight the compensation belongs to the government as it is the government who is inconvenienced and is due the compensation. The passenger (and the airline) is required to have the compensation in the form of a check (no flight coupons) made out to The Treasurer of the United States.
This cannot by looked at as a refund, but a penalty for non-performance as set forth by law by the DOT. When a passenger is involuntary denied boarding due to an actual oversell, the passenger, or in this case the government is compensated at:
  • Twice the value of the one way coach fare if the passenger is delayed more than an hour or more to their destination
  • Three times the value of the coach fare if the passenger is delayed more than two (2) hours
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by SpartanFlyer86
Hard to say if I was a part of this test phase, but I was contacted about 20 hours before my flight back home this past weekend (July 16th) looking for volunteers. I was offered $200 and my choice of any of the non stop options the same day as my original flight. I had been upgraded on my original flight via CPU process and the agent was able to keep me in F on the re-booked flight.
Was there an equipment swap on your original flight? Sounds like the "magic desk" doing its thing rather than the automated system. Also, I'm pretty sure they said in the call that they were still getting ready to start; I don't think it is truly live yet. But I'm not certain.

It does sound like the type of offer the system is supposed to be able to generate for targeted customers.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA PP (47% MM), HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SpartanFlyer86
Originally Posted by sbm12
Was there an equipment swap on your original flight? Sounds like the "magic desk" doing its thing rather than the automated system. Also, I'm pretty sure they said in the call that they were still getting ready to start; I don't think it is truly live yet. But I'm not certain.

It does sound like the type of offer the system is supposed to be able to generate for targeted customers.

You're right. I still have the original voicemail as I did not recognize the original caller, but called back. They mentioned the aircraft was changed out and created an oversell situation.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
Let's see how it works. I mean, it's not like they hadn't offered $250 at the gate previously (and got no takers), which is what led them to the $1k offers.

I do agree that I could probably have more flexibility if asked a few days out instead of at the gate. But it would have to be confirmed ASAP; the "within 24 hours" bit makes it less desirable to me. YMMV.
I once showed up at an airport early and offered to move off my current flight onto one 4 hours early (I was REALLY early). They confirmed my flight was overbooked, and the one I wanted was wide open, but would not waive the change fee.

I went to the lounge, and got to the gate in time to hear them page me, by name, asking if I'd instead like a non-stop.

No, I was going to meet a friend for drinks in the connecting city. I would have foregone that if I'd been on the earlier flight, but not after sitting around for 4 hours.

They had to pay volunteers.

Make my trip better for me, and I'll accept the better schedule as my compensation.

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I would imagine you would have to fly the rebooked flight before you got the voucher. Otherwise, you're correct there could be abuse, although it wouldn't be difficult to catch.
Here's a scenario:

I buy a refundable ticket for the 3pm.

I get the email, 3pm is really full, they offer me $200 to take the 4pm.

Fine, I still get where I'm going in time for dinner.

At 3pm, the 4pm posts a 2 hour delay. Dinner is no longer possible.

I cancel and go home.

Am I really undeserving of the $200?

(and I'll note that I have bought refundable tickets, for a dinner trip, and cancelled after a 3 hour delay was posted while I was sitting in the lounge, so this isn't exactly far-fetched).

In this case, I'm not trying to abuse anything. Though I suppose a posted delay would make that clear.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:42 pm

My experience - IAD-EWR RT this past week. No UA status. Not offered anything via OLCI. For both flights, I checked a bag, and therefore used the kiosk. Do you want to volunteer?, "YES". Given a choice of $220, $300, or $400 in compensation. Notation that the lowest bids would be accepted first. Had not seen this before, so choose $300.

Asked the GA for both flights whether or not volunteers were needed; none were needed. (A bit surprised that I wasn't VDB on either flight - both flights packed and a long standby list.)

What if I had been accepted, would $300 be my limit, even if higher compensation was offered to others at the end?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
would $300 be my limit, even if higher compensation was offered to others at the end?
No.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by soonerborn
Great plan if they can get it to work. I have my doubts.

Frequent flyers can come up with some very creative ways to abuse programs like this. One way that comes to mind immediately for this is with refundable tickets.

Infrequent flyers aren't going to be as moved by this $250 offer as some think. I think its a fair offer but for people that only fly once a year, what are they gonna do with a $250 voucher that expires in a year. So I think rolling this out to FF members is the way to go.

I suspect that even if this is wildly successful, that UA will promptly break it by trying to scalp business travelers by more seats overbooked on more flights.
Frequent flyers will find ways to make the program work for them, and UA (and every other airline) will eventually adjust it. ie tag your it.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Volunteering to be bumped on app question

Was checking in for my flight Monday evening LAS-DEN-MCI. On app it ask what amount of money I would be willing to take a next day flight. I typed in $1000 and finished check in process.

Orginally thought I was flexible to stay extra night in Vegas but now may have to be back to KC by noon on Tuesday.

Question is I'm I locked into being bumped or still my decision at airport before boarding?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am interested in knowing the answer as well. I declined the offer for LAS-SFO on Monday morning as I knew I needed to be back in SAN in the early afternoon.

However, my recollection of the offer was that I could change my mind at the airport but not certain on that point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.