Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Are there positive reports of this bidding system working (other than post 187)?
Seems the max. bidding amount is $2000 or 100000 miles.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Red face bidding on volunteer at online check in

Hello UA travellers!
If I place a bid to volunteer for myself and hubby to go onto the volunteer list during online check in, will we lose the seats on the current flights we have? I don't mind volunteering to get off a flight for a small amount, but do not want to lose our current seats if they do not require us to get off the flight, once we get to the airport!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The volunteer at check-in is essentially meaningless from your perspective.

You won't be offloaded from your seat until you accept the VDB, including the reroute. When you deal with the GA if it all comes to pass, make certain that every aspect of your VDB is included in the "deal". Eg., compensation, meals, (hotel if overnight), and the specific reroute and seats. Anything you don't get at that point, you won't get.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milehighmel
... If I place a bid to volunteer for myself and hubby to go onto the volunteer list during online check in, will we lose the seats on the current flights we have? ...
During the bidding process you will see a note explicitly saying you still confirm on your original flight / seat assignments.

At the airport, if you get selected by the GA for VDB and then at the end UA does not need the VDB, that could lead to a new seat assignment. Be very clear in the VDB discussion with the GA, you do not want to lose your seat assignment if not needed.

BTW, this VDB bidding process rarely leads to being VDB. It seems this is more of a data collection process than a true VDB offer.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2019 at 11:58 am Reason: BTW
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:12 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
During the bidding process you will see a note explicitly saying you still confirm on your original flight / seat assignments.

At the airport, if you get selected by the GA for VDB and then at the end UA does not need the VDB, that could lead to a new seat assignment. Be very clear in the VDB discussion with the GA, you do not want to lose your seat assignment if not needed.

BTW, this VDB bidding process rarely leads to being VDB. It seems this is more of a data collection process than a true VDB offer.
What happens if you DO end up with a middle seat of E- all the way in the back? Is there any recourse? At that point, you are pretty much left with the choice of not boarding (no compensation either) or take whatever is left, correct?

LAX
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LAX
What happens if you DO end up with a middle seat of E- all the way in the back? Is there any recourse? At that point, you are pretty much left with the choice of not boarding (no compensation either) or take whatever is left, correct?

LAX
First make it clear up front, that is not an option. But if the agent still does it, then you have to make a claim for compensation, either with the GA or CS afterward
It is just a matter of the agent not using you seat until there are no other options.

You could consider SDC'ing to a later flight

While the GA will be in a rush to finish closing the flight, you can press for the return of seating or a new flight.

But if you have not prenegotiated his your options are limited
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:16 pm

Do global services customers receive the option to bid / get bumped to a different flight in the app when trying to check in? I ask because my colleague and I checked in on our app at the same time and he didn’t get an offer / option whereas I did. He also said that he has never received the option despite being on many oversold flights.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by walkertalk322
Do global services customers receive the option to bid / get bumped to a different flight in the app when trying to check in? I ask because my colleague and I checked in on our app at the same time and he didn’t get an offer / option whereas I did. He also said that he has never received the option despite being on many oversold flights.
How precisely do you mean 'same time'? I don't believe there is any differentiation by status, but the loads are always changing, so the time of check in definitely can mean prompt / no prompt.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There have definitely been reports in the past that Global Services members didn’t get prompted, presumably based on the notion that some would find it irritating. However, I thought they had changed that recently.

I wouldn’t sweat too much over it, though; any GS that wants to volunteer can check with the gate agent, and since the lists aren’t binding (and are rarely even used), I don’t think they’re really at any sort of disadvantage.

Also, the ratio of times I’m prompted to times that they are actually soliciting volunteers at the gate is at least 10:1.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
There have definitely been reports in the past that Global Services members didn’t get prompted, presumably based on the notion that some would find it irritating. However, I thought they had changed that recently.

I wouldn’t sweat too much over it, though; any GS that wants to volunteer can check with the gate agent, and since the lists aren’t binding (and are rarely even used), I don’t think they’re really at any sort of disadvantage.

Also, the ratio of times I’m prompted to times that they are actually soliciting volunteers at the gate is at least 10:1.
Got it. Thanks! And does the prompt vary if you are traveling in business or coach?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it. Thanks! And does the prompt vary if you are traveling in business or coach?
For a while, UA would only prompt you if you were traveling in the cabin that was oversold. However, for at least a year, I’ve gotten the prompts even if I’m up front.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Plat
Well with the advent of confirmable bumps, they are at a disadvantage by waiting til they're at the airport.

I suppose they could just call in and ask but that's even more tedious than viewing or taking an automated bump.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Well with the advent of confirmable bumps, they are at a disadvantage by waiting til they're at the airport.

I suppose they could just call in and ask but that's even more tedious than viewing or taking an automated bump.
I've yet to get a confirmable offer, but I for one would appreciate them and would be more likely to take one. I have had a good bit of schedule flexibility on recent trips and volunteered for a few, but hate that I still have to go to the airport if I'm going to likely end up on a flight that's several hours later.

FWIW, all the flights that have solicited offers my past several trips have ended up going out without needing any volunteers, and typically have confirmed a standby pax or two (or ten), so that's probably why I haven't gotten any of the confirmable offers.
jsloan and jjmoore like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

GS still not being prompted at the kiosk or on the app... have been on a couple oversold flights in the last couple weeks and I still need the GA to manually enter me onto the list.

Back to 1K in 2 weeks... fully expecting that the app will light up again with the prompts like it did a couple years ago when I made this same transition from GS back to 1K.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
FWIW, all the flights that have solicited offers my past several trips have ended up going out without needing any volunteers, and typically have confirmed a standby pax or two (or ten), so that's probably why I haven't gotten any of the confirmable offers.
Same situation here too. On my last A319 flight, went out with 7 standbys and 5 empty seats.

Kiosk was showing flights options that are 6, 24 and even 30 hours later and I gave them ridiculous ETC bids based on the length of delay. I Immediately talked to a live Customer Service agent and the gate agent, both always confirmed that the flight is not over booked and they are still selling seats.

This really made me wonder if UA is testing our threshold to see how low we would go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.