Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
My fiancé got a potential VDB offer through the app today when checking in for SFO-SYD, similar to the screenshots above (ie. not a confirmed VDB, just a potential). She went to the gate to chat to them and they told her the flight wasn’t overbooked, and that there were actually 4 spare seats on the flight. Any idea why this would happen?

i also picked up $1,000 the other day by volunteering to go DEN-IAH-SYD (same day) instead of DEN-LAX-SYD. Great result!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:31 am

I’ve had a couple of those offers but they turned out to be false alarms. Plenty of seats on both flights (both domestic).
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by david_oz
My fiancé got a potential VDB offer through the app today when checking in for SFO-SYD, similar to the screenshots above (ie. not a confirmed VDB, just a potential). She went to the gate to chat to them and they told her the flight wasn’t overbooked, and that there were actually 4 spare seats on the flight. Any idea why this would happen?
Misconnects, cancels, etc. I got one of these offers and was told at the counter they were over by 2, but we cleared a standby and went out with 2 empty seats. It just happens -- this is why airlines overbook in the first place.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by david_oz
As mentioned recently upthread, I've seen the old or new in-app VDB screen about 10 times in the past 6 months but none of the flights had a single at-gate VDB. It seems either United is calling people in advance, the algorithm that requests volunteers is a little too loose, or United is using it for purposes of data collection.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by joe_miami
As mentioned recently upthread, I've seen the old or new in-app VDB screen about 10 times in the past 6 months but none of the flights had a single at-gate VDB. It seems either United is calling people in advance, the algorithm that requests volunteers is a little too loose, or United is using it for purposes of data collection.
I would guess one of the latter two.

I've had the same experience... screen is shown, but nobody needed. My last flight, SFO-LAS, cleared eight standbys after having the screen come up earlier in the day.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dordal
I would guess one of the latter two.

I've had the same experience... screen is shown, but nobody needed. My last flight, SFO-LAS, cleared eight standbys after having the screen come up earlier in the day.
and on Xmas day, like I said, saw the opportunity to volunteer for $500-$700 on ORD-FRA. No confirmed options, but I’d guess continuing into BLR, a destination not actually served but UA, and likely lack of alternates, were reasons for that. A couple of hours prior to flight, I asked CS how oversold it was, and they said by 2. About 10 non-revs standing by.

At the gate, they called out a few people to the desk and said it’s a merry Christmas for you, so I assume they got upgrades (there were 10 Polaris seats blocked for at least the last day). During boarding, on the aircraft they came on asking for a single volunteer for $1500. I only heard that announcement once, and don’t know what happened, but since I didn’t hear of it again, I assume somebody bit. No non-revs showed as clearing.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
VDB Bids in Award Miles

My partner was checking in on the mobile app when he was offered the opportunity to bid for a VDB. But once he clicked in, he had the option to either put a bid in for $ or award miles. The tiering was (roughly) $750, $850, $950 and the award miles were 14k, 16k, 18k.

Seems like a pretty interesting switch, I imagine they'd prioritize award mile bids > cash... and less savvy travelers might think the award miles have more value. Not sure if this is a test or a dedicated switch in strategy.

Anyone else seen it?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: United, Amtrak, BonVoy, Global Entry
I saw it last week on my flight BOS to IAD. I don't remember the miles option as far as the amounts, but I did take the dollar bid. It was looking like they were going to use it until right at the last minute when someone did not check in for the flight at the last minute and they no longer needed my seat. They had me holding at the gate until the very last moment.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
I got the same sort of offer DCA-EWR the other day. $200 $400 $600 or relatively chump change of miles. Just for grins I put $1000. Ended up not needing a VDB - but if I got the $1000 I would just rent a car one-way and drive a couple of hours.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
$750 or 14k miles? That's insane.

Even someone who flies a couple times a year but has a UA account must know that you can't even get a free domestic ticket for 14k, but you could buy a couple round trips with $750. I would think they would make the offer at least a little closer in value. Both should be liabilities on UA's balance sheet, but it seems like it would be in UA's interests to get someone to choose miles at a slightly lower value.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On the contrary,. I bet that UA's ,marketing research indicates that people do grab the miles.

Given that the breakage on miles is far higher than for vouchers and given that the miles just mean more people competing for the same number of seats, they are largely free money to UA.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
The only upside that I could see to the miles would be that they don't expire. But beyond that I agree that the ratios are a bit out to lunch.

Maybe next for 1K and up it would be $750 or 1 GPU ?
Old May 18, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
United offered me volunteer bids after I checked in for my flight home ORD-BWI tomorrow. I could be persuaded to take the flight in the 6AM hour, considering I don’t need to get to work until 11. Were I to bid and were they to pull me, would they also comp a room for me on top of the vouchers or whatever I asked for in the bid? Or are the bids more aimed at people with somewhere to go home to?
Old May 18, 2019, 7:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aresef
United offered me volunteer bids after I checked in for my flight home ORD-BWI tomorrow. I could be persuaded to take the flight in the 6AM hour, considering I don’t need to get to work until 11. Were I to bid and were they to pull me, would they also comp a room for me on top of the vouchers or whatever I asked for in the bid? Or are the bids more aimed at people with somewhere to go home to?
Rare for a VDB to be done prior to the gate and near departure. And many times the bids never come to fruition.The only time you are going to get a hotel offer is at the gate, not in advance.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Rare for a VDB to be done prior to the gate and near departure. And many times the bids never come to fruition.The only time you are going to get a hotel offer is at the gate, not in advance.
Yeah, that was what my gut told me. I just wanted to know for sure before I bid and, apparently, end up sleeping in the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.