NZ flight, no UA status card. Benfits?

Old Jul 12, 17, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, MR Gold, AA Plat Pro, HH Gold
NZ flight, no UA status card. Benfits?

Flying an Air New Zealand flight soon within New Zealand. I don't have a UA FF card showing my *A Gold status. Will this be a problem in terms of lounge access and baggage allowance?
Old Jul 12, 17, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Use the electronic version of the card available in the UA app.
Old Jul 12, 17, 7:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by StarlightSusan View Post
Flying an Air New Zealand flight soon within New Zealand. I don't have a UA FF card showing my *A Gold status. Will this be a problem in terms of lounge access and baggage allowance?
Is this earned status or challenge status?
Old Jul 12, 17, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If your UA FFP# is on the ticket (and it's not a challenge or other special case?) your NZ BP should say UA*G on it and scan you into NZ lounges. The NZ PNR will recognize *G and grant you identical benefits to NZ*G.
Old Jul 12, 17, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite
Anyone know if the Y seating they open for *G any worth it? I am traveling with 2 other friends on different PNR's so I would most likely have to sit away from them. (Which I do not really mind on a 14 hour flight)

I will be flying IAH-AKL on the 772.
Old Jul 12, 17, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, MR Gold, AA Plat Pro, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Is this earned status or challenge status?
Earned by MM.

Originally Posted by findark View Post
If your UA FFP# is on the ticket (and it's not a challenge or other special case?) your NZ BP should say UA*G on it and scan you into NZ lounges. The NZ PNR will recognize *G and grant you identical benefits to NZ*G.
Thanks. Reading the Air New Zealand web site is a little unclear about *A Gold bennies.
Old Jul 13, 17, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks. Reading the Air New Zealand web site is a little unclear about *A Gold bennies.
Yes, it's not worded very well. As I learned from flying NZ this year, they treat *G as identical to their own Gold tier (and judging from the response I got calling their non-elite reservations line, I'm not even sure they can tell the difference - I was mildly berated for calling the non-status line and transferred to the gold desk ).
Old Jul 13, 17, 4:23 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Make certain your United Mileage Plus number is entered into the reservation. If needing a copy of the Mileage Plus card, it can be printed from united.com or downloaded into the United app.
Old Jul 13, 17, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA GOLD 1MM
Originally Posted by findark View Post
This was exactly our experience on several NZ flights a few months ago. No card needed (I had it, but never got it out).
Old Jul 13, 17, 11:52 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by raheeezy View Post
Anyone know if the Y seating they open for *G any worth it? I am traveling with 2 other friends on different PNR's so I would most likely have to sit away from them. (Which I do not really mind on a 14 hour flight)

I will be flying IAH-AKL on the 772.
In the forward cabin, they typically allocate an couple of the SkyCouch rows to Frequently Flyers to use an normal seats, these have an few inches more legroom and an foot rest. Apart from that on Long-Haul there isn't really that much seating perks. Its on on the A320s we're you'll get access to the rows with 34-35".
Old Jul 14, 17, 3:52 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I just flew them LAX-LHR in PE. Wow! The space seat is fantastic and I had no one next to me so was able to use both seats to sleep (in a kidney shape). With the exception of no pre-departure beverage it was exactly like flying business with UA, except no lie flat bed.

My return LHR-LAX was in coach. I paid $50 extra to have 59A and it was an extremely comfortable seat. No one behind me and just one person next to me. You do not hear the lavatories even though they are behind you. It gets cold but the blanket is decent for keeping you warm. The armrest next to the window lifts up so extra space with the curvature of the plane as well. Also, if you want a snack during the flight you order on your screen - drinks and chips and cookies and there is no charge for alcohol.

NZ also has ONEUP where you can bid for an upgrade and only get charged if the bid is successful. Neither of my bids were successful and I was fine with that as it was my choice for how much it was worth to me.

I am flying with them again in PE to Australia in December and very happy with my first experience with them. However, it will not be the space saver seats but the replacement PE seats so not certain what these will be like (have read mixed reports).

I had lounge access in both LAX (*G lounge) and LHR. In LHR they recommend the SQ lounge and it was a great recommendation. All they needed to see was *G on my BP. I expect to use the Lounge in AKL in December through the same process.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Jul 14, 17 at 7:08 am
Old Jul 14, 17, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I was personally welcomed as a Star Gold in economy and given a water bottle, eye shade, and ear plugs.
Old Jul 14, 17, 7:21 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Benefits I found as *G on my recent LAX-LHR-LAX flights:
- lounge access
- additional luggage allowance (in accordance with *G benefits)
- frequent flyer seating availability
- OLCI the preferred seating with a $50 price was available at no charge (but there was a charge up until OLCI)
- special boarding before regular economy boarding (for my flight in economy) which was good as the overheads get full in economy

I had input my UA FF# at the time of the reservation so they knew I was *G and it was on my boarding pass
Old Jul 14, 17, 10:41 am

You shouldn’t have an issue, even if you can’t access a digital version of the card, but I’d call the Premier Priority Desk and get a card rushed to you for future trips, sometimes when one checks in it’s best to give your ID/Passport and card at the same time so you will be treated better.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: