Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL changes - GLA (Glasgow), SNN (Shannon) going seasonal & BHX (Birmingham) dropped

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL changes - GLA (Glasgow), SNN (Shannon) going seasonal & BHX (Birmingham) dropped

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Seasonal my mistake.
Possibly a misfile then as I can't find a resumption...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Possibly a misfile then as I can't find a resumption...
​​​​
Your probably right...bummer love BHX less flying for NTA unless company still continues to give us 5 & 6 day trips with IAD, LAX, DEN & SFO as part of the pairing. NTA for example has a 5 day LHR (EWR-LHR-IAD-LHR-EWR), 6 day NRT (EWR-NRT-DEN-NRT-EWR), 6 day PVG (EWR-PVG-SFO-PVG-EWR), & a 6 day CDG (EWR-CDG-IAD-CDG-EWR). Summer season NTA gets 6 day DUB, EDI & SNN trips doing EWR-DUB/EDI/SNN-ORD-DUB/EDI/SNN-EWR.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
A seasonal cut would free up 752s more for MCO than it will for Hawaii. The 752 is still needed most in the summer months, and a seasonal cut won't help with that.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly
A seasonal cut would free up 752s more for MCO than it will for Hawaii. The 752 is still needed most in the summer months, and a seasonal cut won't help with that.
DEN-LIH/OGG/KOA going daily year-round, plus BOS-SFO, will require some additional frames that are probably being freed by these seasonal (or permanent?) cuts.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
BHX & SNN going seasonal.
{Could} you can't name the airport also? Many of us don't know these codes and it would be helpful.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2017 at 1:41 am Reason: Removed arugementive comment
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
{could} you can't name the airport also. Many of us don't know these codes and it would be helpful.

And i don't need a "search" response, either.
birmingham, uk & shannon, ireland.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2017 at 1:42 am Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit; removed response to deleted content
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
DEN-LIH/OGG/KOA going daily year-round, plus BOS-SFO, will require some additional frames that are probably being freed by these seasonal (or permanent?) cuts.
What I'm saying is that if this cut was to feed the Hawaii flights, it doesn't make any sense. The new Hawaii flying isn't seasonal. This would do nothing for increasing 752 availability in the summer, when seasonal European routes are in season and P.S. service is at its peak. Even now it doesn't appear that the ex-CO 752 fleet is overused. In the current peak summer season they're still flying leisure routes such as EWR-MCO/TPA and multiple hub-to-hub flights that aren't for positioning purposes. This cut appears more likely to be based strictly on its own economics.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

In the current peak summer season they're still flying leisure routes such as EWR-MCO/TPA and multiple hub-to-hub flights that aren't for positioning purposes.
The Florida turns are good for aircraft utilization to augment the short TATL hops. There's just enough slack in the schedule to do those and if the planes only fly to Europe they're idle too much.

This cut appears more likely to be based strictly on its own economics.
I believe it is mostly about the economics of the routes. But UA (like more airlines in the northern hemisphere) also does a lot of maintenance and retrofit work in the winter. This helps ease pressures on that front. The p.s. 752s need the fuel tank modifications still, right? This could allow a couple of those to go into the shop without cutting transcon frequencies. And by next Spring they'll be done and the 16J 752s will head back across the Atlantic just as demand picks back up.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:36 pm

Don't forget that Norwegian has added TATL capacity to some of these markets which may have hurt UA on these routes a bit. Though I believe these routes were always 'on the brink' in winter.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA GS/Global Entry
BHX service is terminated following 10/5/17. Station will be shutting down.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
???

UA has plenty of single-aisle planes that can fly to/from MCO from anywhere in the contiguous US. The same can't be said for Denver-Hawaii.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
The Florida turns are good for aircraft utilization to augment the short TATL hops. There's just enough slack in the schedule to do those and if the planes only fly to Europe they're idle too much.
Some of the Florida routes are good utilization for European routes, but at least one EWR-MCO is not--as are some of the domestic runs. They're just filling time. There's simply more 752s available than are currently needed for P.S. and long-haul, and we're in the summer peak.

The sUA 752s were reported to be receiving the fuel tank mod next summer, so that doesn't explain it. I don't know for sure, but I assume the sCO birds have it already.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
???

UA has plenty of single-aisle planes that can fly to/from MCO from anywhere in the contiguous US. The same can't be said for Denver-Hawaii.
You've just helped prove my point that this has little to nothing to do with Hawaii. UA has been and is currently using the sCO 752s for more than just P.S. and long-haul, and a seasonal cut does little to nothing to help with year-round route availability. It would foolish to think that UA is trimming back a well-performing route just so it can continue flying the 752 on the likes of EWR-MCO/TPA, SFO-IAH-SFO, or IAD-IAH-IAD, when any aircraft in their mainline fleet is capable of it.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Some of the Florida routes are good utilization for European routes, but at least one EWR-MCO is not--as are some of the domestic runs. They're just filling time.

That's exactly what utilization flying is.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:11 am

757s are rotated through MCOMX for regular maintenance visits, as well. Even in the peak summer (slower season for FL) where most 757s are deployed elsewhere, EWR-MCO will have at least one, and usually several, 752 frequencies.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by Aliquot
Glascow is not in England.
^

Sidenote : Paging QR,EK,EY DOH,AUH,DXB to GLA with continuing service to EWR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.