Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Allegedly Destroys $42K Wheelchair

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by spin88
Sort of rough justice for running such a crappy anti-customer airline.
Originally Posted by In The 216
United is in the midst of a classic PR/social media snowball effect.
A brand narrative, positive or negative, develops momentum of its own. United's brand right now stands for irrational brutality. Any new atrocity, big or small, validates the narrative and gets elevated by the media. ("See? It happened again!") Acts of kindness may occur, customers may leave happy, but these things do not slot into the narrative arc and opinion-makers will view them skeptically or ignore them.

Momentum like this takes years to change. But UA did this to itself.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Apparently he's not important enough to warrant "whatever it takes" kinda spending.
Most of us aren't. Such is life.

I've always assumed that UA employees treat customer stuff with due care, but this incident (and many others) calls that assumption into question.
That is a terrible assumption to make of any airline, not just UA. In fact, it's a terrible assumption to make in general.

On top of that, if the baggage handlers can't be trusted to treat customer stuff with due care, then I wonder whether they treat UA's stuff (like $100 million aircraft) with appropriate due care.
Good question. They're probably not. But $100M aircraft are design and built with far greater robustness than, say, someone's suitcase off the clearance rack at Walmart. I've heard of radios that are specifically marked "do not step", yet still end up being used as wheel chocks... sure enough they still work perfectly when needed. Products in certain sectors are built to a higher standard than products in others. For me it's not a worry, but I can see how the average traveler might be concerned.

Originally Posted by BearX220
United's brand right now stands for irrational brutality.
Due to media zealots eager to make a few cents per click, not to their own actions.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The issue isn't who will pay for the damage - UA has accepted that responsibility. Discussions of insurance are irrelevant in this thread.

The issue is that UA loaned him a crappy wheelchair that broke down and then loaned him a manual wheelchair after their first cheap loaner broke down.

Because he lacks his custom-fitted power chair, his once-in-a-lifetime trip is impaired. He and his friends might say "ruined," but I think that's an overstatement.

UA's failures here include failing to properly train its employees so that they don't damage $42k custom wheelchairs and then failing to loan him an appropriate functional temporary replacement chair. If UA waived enough money around, it could procure an appropriate loaner. Apparently he's not important enough to warrant "whatever it takes" kinda spending. Not surprising from the airline that brought us "broken cashews to save a dime."

I've always assumed that UA employees treat customer stuff with due care, but this incident (and many others) calls that assumption into question.

On top of that, if the baggage handlers can't be trusted to treat customer stuff with due care, then I wonder whether they treat UA's stuff (like $100 million aircraft) with appropriate due care. If you can't competently handle an empty wheelchair and transport it from Paris to Newark without inflicting serious damage, then what unreported damage to UA's planes and other equipment is occurring?

Why does this matter? A couple years back, an airline had an employee or contractor drive a vehicle into a plane and damage it and did not report the incident. Aircraft airworthiness is called into question if damage occurs and is not inspected.
I'm not sure where the 'crappy' wheelchair came from but I can assure you that UA doesn't have anything like a custom made powered device sitting around anywhere.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I'm not sure where the 'crappy' wheelchair came from but I can assure you that UA doesn't have anything like a custom made powered device sitting around anywhere.
There are presumably places in major cities where you (or United in this case) can rent them.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:46 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I thought I'd toss my 2 cents into this discussion, since I had a similar incident with UA. Two years ago, I broke both of my legs and was in a manual wheelchair for a year.

During that time I continued to fly on UA, both domestically and internationally.

On one fateful trip they:
  • broke my wheelchair (by dropping it to the tarmac from the baggage compartment) without telling me, like I didn't notice the arm broken and the side panels missing. The axel was also cracked.
  • broke the airport loaner chair they gave me in HNL (a 50 pound tank that gave me blisters on my hands)
  • broke the new wheelchair which was sent from IAH to meet me at SFO and it was shipped in a box!

It was a horrible ordeal at each airport baggage claim that I have occasional nightmares about still. I was trapped for hours in two different airports with no way to get around, even to the bathroom, while they came up with excuse after excuse about how they could do nothing.

After breaking the third chair, they were able to rent a manual chair locally, but then failed to pay the rental bill. The rental company kept calling to tell me they were coming to take back the chair since UA hadn't paid them. What many people who haven't been in a wheelchair don't think about is that your chair is your legs. When they take your chair away, they are taking your legs away.

UA works with a Canadian company to handle the "broken assistive devices" and they coordinate replacement equipment. It was 30 days before I had a replacement chair and then another 3 months before it was all sorted out with bills and insurance companies.

From that point on I only flew widebody planes with closets and armed with a copy of the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) presented myself at the gate early and told the gate agent that the wheelchair will be stowed on board in a closet. Still, if I see a person in a manual wheelchair at the gate with a pink tag on their wheelchair, I tell them they can stow their wheelchair on board. It is their right under the ACAA.

Those with custom electric wheelchairs don't have that option.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by kb9522
This. Surely the passenger who was so willing to allow people known to be rough with checked items to handle his $42k item has it covered under some insurance.

Time to move along... Nothing to see here.
Yes. But not really. I would hope that there is a thing or two in the law that does require the transporting carrier to take some responsibility for loss and damages to equipment imperative to a physically challenged individual.

On FT, it is language like that last sentence that polarizes members on such topics. I, for one, do not think that this topic is done and dusted.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
[QUOTE=Pat89339;28548911]I thought I'd toss my 2 cents into this discussion, since I had a similar incident with UA. [QUOTE]

Appreciate the detail, I leaned something today!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can anyone comment on how passengers can work with unitedcargo.com ?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
Something like this needs to be shipped in a crate. Airlines and common carriers are notorious for not being precious with packages. You're a fool if you think they'll be precious with an odd shaped chair.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
UA can not catch a break (not that they should) in the media these days. Every week another story of something wrong. TRAINING!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by malgudi
Did a quick search, didn't find any prior postings on the topic.

It just doesn't stop ...

UA Allegedly Destroys $42K Wheelchair
Indeed, the substanceless clickbait stories just never stop these days.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Rotus12
Indeed, the substanceless clickbait stories just never stop these days.
Since the story linked to is on this very site, maybe you can complain to management (or the author) about it if you think it was inappropriate to write it.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Due to media zealots eager to make a few cents per click, not to their own actions.
The media didn't make these stories up. And "media zealots" don't write / edit social media, where hundreds -- or thousands -- of personal UA horror stories circulate and get shared / upvoted / etc. "Media zealots" don't control United's own Facebook page or Twitter feed, where angry customers testify daily.

There is no media conspiracy to make United look bad. I don't think it's even possible in this day and age to pull off a good old-fashioned media conspiracy; power is too decentralized. United makes itself look bad and people say so.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by BearX220
The media didn't make these stories up. And "media zealots" don't write / edit social media, where hundreds -- or thousands -- of personal UA horror stories circulate and get shared / upvoted / etc. "Media zealots" don't control United's own Facebook page or Twitter feed, where angry customers testify daily.

There is no media conspiracy to make United look bad. I don't think it's even possible in this day and age to pull off a good old-fashioned media conspiracy; power is too decentralized. United makes itself look bad and people say so.
And how many of those people were the ones who were not compliant with the CoCs they agreed to when purchasing the ticket? Most? All?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
And how many of those people were the ones who were not compliant with the CoCs they agreed to when purchasing the ticket? Most? All?
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.