Redeeming miles for a UC one-time pass

Old Jul 9, 17, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Redeeming miles for a UC one-time pass

Is there any way to redeem united miles (or other program points) for a 1 time UA Club pass?

Not interested in a full membership.
Old Jul 9, 17, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post
Is there any way to redeem united miles (or other program points) for a 1 time UA Club pass?

Not interested in a full membership.
I did it once -- terrible use of miles! -- but it appears the option has been withdrawn.
Old Jul 9, 17, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA
You can buy them on internet auction sites for <$15 each.
Old Jul 9, 17, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS, UA, Marriott, Hyatt, TR Seven Stars
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
You can buy them on internet auction sites for <$15 each.
Terrible advice and an easy way to get you in hot water, UA's fraud department actually tracks these sales as well (in addition to the usual GPU/RPU's you'll see for sale on similar sites).

You can buy a one-time pass for $59 at the desk, which is way better than losing however many miles may be in your account should you be caught buying one from a site and having your MP account closed. It should be noted that reports of accounts being closed for this reason alone are extremely rare, but it's within their right.
Old Jul 10, 17, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
Terrible advice and an easy way to get you in hot water, UA's fraud department actually tracks these sales as well (in addition to the usual GPU/RPU's you'll see for sale on similar sites).
Any evidence?
Old Jul 10, 17, 3:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, United Plat (2018:Gold), Marriott Pyrite
I get two passes annually with the United Explorer card, which is $95/yr (first year waived). This is probably the cheapest way to do this legitimately, if you only need it a couple times a year.

You can also purchase a pass on the app, but you can be turned away if there's too many guests. So buying at the desk as suggested by NoLaGent is lower risk. (They used to give a discount for the app, that has also been withdrawn.) All passes are single-entry, so on trips with connections one pass can't be used in two airports.

The "worst" option is "Bundle #2 " when you book. It's generally overpriced, with the extra things they throw in. But with connections, this may make more sense as it allows entry at all locations. If going this route make sure it works for you. For example, someone posted getting +$10 on SYR-IAD...looks like a great deal, except there is no UC in SYR!

Lastly, there are other paid lounges that are much better options. For example, I found the Escape lounge in MIN was so much better than UC, and right by the UA gates.

Good luck!
Old Jul 10, 17, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Any evidence?
Yes.

Avoid going the eBay route.
Old Jul 10, 17, 4:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
Yes.

Good to know this. But not related.
Old Jul 10, 17, 4:35 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Good to know this. But not related.
Disagree. It's actually related.

The OP asked about obtaining a pass via miles. Subsequent posters did not agree with its value so they posited other options for procuring a pass. One of them was eBay/craigslist. One poster warned against doing that, and then a thread about doing so (a warning story) was provided.

This is helpful and what FlyerTalk is all about. It is totally related and relevant.
Old Jul 10, 17, 5:55 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, TrueBlue, SkyPesos
There's literally 1 thread of someone getting busted for buying a UC club pass on eBay, and everyone on that thread agreed the agent was WRONG! There's hundreds of people on here that have successfully used these passes. I've been able to get them for $10 a piece before I had any status, and you should too. There's nothing against the T&C's about buying them off third party sites, and there is no way a UC is worth anything close to $59.

In fact, I've had more trouble getting in to UC's on partner *G status, as some clueless agents in smaller domestic markets still have trouble understanding *A lounge rules.
Old Jul 10, 17, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hyatt had been giving two UC passes to Diamonds.
Old Jul 10, 17, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
It is totally related and relevant.
I stand correct.

While someone suggested Fraud Department, the thread suggested lounge dragon instead.
Old Jul 13, 17, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post

You can buy a one-time pass for $59 at the desk, which is way better than losing however many miles may be in your account should you be caught buying one from a site and having your MP account closed. It should be noted that reports of accounts being closed for this reason alone are extremely rare, but it's within their right.
Show me evidence of UA closing someone's MP account for using one of these.

Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
Yes.

That whole thread was about people being denied entry using one and then lounge dragons totally overstepping their bounds to try to find the "original" owner of the pass. The seller even refunded the OP for his purchase.

I have used Chase passes obtained online and have never had any problems with them. The attendant just scans the QR code and waives me in.

I think both of your warnings are relevant but unwarranted and it sounds more like a scare tactic into buying an explorer card or paying UA the over priced $59 for honestly a mediocre club.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 17 at 4:45 pm Reason: Inappropriate comment concerning poster